+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Thomas Cook Employees to Protest at Westminster

Thomas Cook Employees to Protest at Westminster

Looks like Thomas Cook employers will march and protest at Westminster and want answers from the Government. I will give them answers for free.

1. Look at your own Board of Directors who took millions out of the company. Ask them to pay it back.
    2. Ask yourselves why Thomas Cooks brochures look no different in 1999 to 2019. TUI purchased hotels, diversified and have huge buying power throughout the Group.
    3. Thomas Cook flights were not budget or upmarket but middle of the road which was why Monarch failed. Customers generally want cheap and cheerful or something decent ie Emirates etc.
    4. Why should the Government bail you out for ****sake. The company has been in dire straits for years and already will spend 600 million in repatriation so in future all tour operators should take out insurance/bonds so not reliant on the public purse.
    5. Why would the Government want to help a poor trading company losing millions when other more genuine big brands run into difficulty.

Lastly - losing a job happens to us all. Go to jet2.com/careers for example and find another job. Better still save your energy and expose the fat cats who creamed off millions from your company who are the real culprits!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Looks like Thomas Cook employers will march and protest at Westminster and want answers from the Government. I will give them answers for free.

1. Look at your own Board of Directors who took millions out of the company. Ask them to pay it back.
    2. Ask yourselves why Thomas Cooks brochures look no different in 1999 to 2019. TUI purchased hotels, diversified and have huge buying power throughout the Group.
    3. Thomas Cook flights were not budget or upmarket but middle of the road which was why Monarch failed. Customers generally want cheap and cheerful or something decent ie Emirates etc.
    4. Why should the Government bail you out for ****sake. The company has been in dire straits for years and already will spend 600 million in repatriation so in future all tour operators should take out insurance/bonds so not reliant on the public purse.
    5. Why would the Government want to help a poor trading company losing millions when other more genuine big brands run into difficulty.

Lastly - losing a job happens to us all. Go to jet2.com/careers for example and find another job. Better still save your energy and expose the fat cats who creamed off millions from your company who are the real culprits!
    This current government or any government should not be allowing owners of companies to be paid millions whilst those 9000 lose jobs. A bailout would send out the wrong message. Instead owners shouldn’t be able to get away with paying themselves millions..in a situation like this - look at BHS.
    Also Al, just because your quarterly trip to benidorm hasn’t been affected lol, spare a thought for those whose trips have been affected. Who on here goes to Benidorm anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    This current government or any government should not be allowing owners of companies to be paid millions whilst those 9000 lose jobs. A bailout would send out the wrong message. Instead owners shouldn’t be able to get away with paying themselves millions..in a situation like this - look at BHS.
    Also Al, just because your quarterly trip to benidorm hasn’t been affected lol, spare a thought for those whose trips have been affected. Who on here goes to Benidorm anyway?

My thoughts are with anybody who loses a job but the people responsible are the Board if Directors themselves. The company has been in a mess for years!

How can the government stop directors paying themselves whatever they decide - would be really difficult! The Insolvency Service have a duty to investigate but they are toothless - more chance of a plumber being done for paying himself over the odds than these fat cats!

Benidorm - been there once in 20 years for a 70th birthday! Try Dubai - I do go there at least three if not four times a year and the States on frequent business trips,

Where do you go Regis - somewhere flat or to buy the Mrs a earth angel wind up 😭

It’s not the government’s job to bail out a private company.

Fosun ( Wolves owners ) are substantial share owners in Thomas Cook.....they’d be better taking their protest to the “Custard Bowl”.

Fosun are worth billions so why didn’t they save the company?

I agree about director’s bonuses though Regis.......I still find it incomprehensible that directors can get away with doing this sort of thing.

Laws should be brought in forbidding the taking of huge wages and bonuses in failing firms.

A regulatory body ( a special HMRC department) should be set up to pass approval on such things based on audited books for the previous financial year.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    My thoughts are with anybody who loses a job but the people responsible are the Board if Directors themselves. The company has been in a mess for years!

How can the government stop directors paying themselves whatever they decide - would be really difficult! The Insolvency Service have a duty to investigate but they are toothless - more chance of a plumber being done for paying himself over the odds than these fat cats!

Benidorm - been there once in 20 years for a 70th birthday! Try Dubai - I do go there at least three if not four times a year and the States on frequent business trips,

Where do you go Regis - somewhere flat or to buy the Mrs a earth angel wind up 😭
    I’m sure you mentioned you were going to Benidorm for the baggies pre season game.
    I never go to any of the typical holidays most people do. Cannot stand relaxing holidays, i’m more up and about hiking type. My typical trip abroad would be places such as Bariloche or even something like the Copper Canyon in Creel. Those trips were in the last 5 trips i did abroad. Highly recommend Argentina, especially as the pound has been doing well there in recent times. Don’t think Thomas Cook did excursions there btw.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    It’s not the government’s job to bail out a private company.
    I agree with that......however there are times when it suits Governments to bailout private companies, even after their directors have amassed millions...even billions in bonuses etc....I particularly remember the banking crises......which the young generations will have to pay for over there whole working lives...and allow them very little after tax to afford a simple house....
    I imagine they have good reason not to bail out travel companies...

I’m sure you mentioned you were going to Benidorm for the baggies pre season game.
    I never go to any of the typical holidays most people do. Cannot stand relaxing holidays, i’m more up and about hiking type. My typical trip abroad would be places such as Bariloche or even something like the Copper Canyon in Creel. Those trips were in the last 5 trips i did abroad. Highly recommend Argentina, especially as the pound has been doing well there in recent times. Don’t think Thomas Cook did excursions there btw.

Always wanted to go to Argentina and South America in general as my teacher was from Chile and speak Spanish fluently.

More of a sun and relaxation person hence Dubai all the time, but do like the frequent business trips to the States but find in business Americans are shockingly poor for
    communication.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)