+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your verdict on VAR

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    Football is not an exact science, far from it. There are numerous possible interpretations of any given event and after a reviewed decision there are are often differing opinions so the ref might as well have stuck to his original decision. But in any case, cricket and rugby are more civilised sports and in truth can manage without VAR. Players will 'take it on the chin'. A rugby union player would never question a refereeing decision. That's the way it's always been.

Mind you, tennis might have benefited from VAR although in the case of Serena Williams, a bucket of cold water might have done the trick.
    You’ve obviously never heard of Neil Back.

Honestly though...crucial tries have been disallowed by the video ref as a result of dodgy grounding or a centimetre of boot clipping the touch line and everyone gets on with it. What’s the difference?
    If, as you suggest and I agree, it’s down to more ‘civilised’/grown up players and fans then what an indictment of football.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    You’ve obviously never heard of Neil Back.

Honestly though...crucial tries have been disallowed by the video ref as a result of dodgy grounding or a centimetre of boot clipping the touch line and everyone gets on with it. What’s the difference?
    If, as you suggest and I agree, it’s down to more ‘civilised’/grown up players and fans then what an indictment of football.
    You're wrong, I practise yoga every day.

Yes, rugby players and the fans just get on with it but football is unique. Let's be honest, deep down we don't want VAR or anything else that purports to be fair and just. We just want three points and to hell with everything else.

Probably the biggest reason rugby players don't argue with refs is that it results in a penalty and a possible 3 points. I remember one game, our forwards scored a try under the posts. One of the opposition argued it wasn't a try. We got the 3 points for the try, 2 more for the conversion and the ref awarded us a penalty so our kicker got the restart rather than theirs and he slotted it over from the halfway line for 3 more points.

Contest a decision and it's a penalty. Contest the penalty and it oves 10 yeards forward. Contest again and it's another 10.......and so on.

Hardly surprising that rugby players accept refereeing decisions.

3 points for a try, that must have been a while ago. They probably hadn't invented TV, let alone video technology at the time!!

Late 70s, early 80s playing for Burton.

The game isn't what is was. Just glorified Rugby League these days. Can't stand that scrum halves now feed their hooker on the put in, gives the oppo virtually no chance. Is feeding offciially allowed or is it, as in football, simply a rule refs don't enforce?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Late 70s, early 80s playing for Burton.

The game isn't what is was. Just glorified Rugby League these days. Can't stand that scrum halves now feed their hooker on the put in, gives the oppo virtually no chance. Is feeding offciially allowed or is it, as in football, simply a rule refs don't enforce?
    Your memory is failing you ’Amster. It was still four points for a try in the seventies in RU...only three in RL at that time.

Had some good times at Burton...great clubhouse, good place to watch. Hope they can recreate the Peel Croft atmosphere at their new venture.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Your memory is failing you ’Amster. It was still four points for a try in the seventies in RU...only three in RL at that time.

Had some good times at Burton...great clubhouse, good place to watch. Hope they can recreate the Peel Croft atmosphere at their new venture.
    Indeed rA. The change was in 1971. Nowt wrong with the memory though as I can still remember 3 points for a try....

I remember some great 60s nights with topper of the day performing in a marquee set up on the pitch. Friday night soul gigs. There was never any bother as the first team forwards were the bouncers........ had some wonderful nights both sides of the bar.

I was in total agreement for VAR to put right obvious errors, over the goal line, violence not noticed by the match officials.

For offside, again major obvious errors should be reviewed. However the offside rule is there to stop teams piling lighthouses on the keepers toes and banging long balls to them time and time again. The spirit of the offside rule shouldn’t be to rule out great attacking play resulting in goals when a toenail is deemed offside after rocking the play back and forth for an age.
    For that matter, in our playoff semi at Elland Road, Dallas was “offside” when scoring his second goal - it certainly wasn’t clear and obvious though and I didn’t feel cheated at the time!
    Bryson’s disallowed goal against Southampton anyone - what a goal hanger he was!!!

For offside, I would ban the slowing down of replays to decide if a “clear and obvious” error had been made.

However the problem now is that linesmen will always know their judgement has the backstop of a man in a room full of computers and slo-mo videos.

We don’t watch football in slow motion so why referee it that way??

Again, Pandora’s box has been opened and getting the lid back on now is nigh on impossible.

It really is ruining the spectacle. Sheffield Utd should have won yesterday after crafting a great “winner”
    Yippee for computers and video referees who couldn’t give a toss about the emotion the great game generates - as long as they can say they’ve chalked a great goal out for a toenail!

Spot on Rob, couldn't have summed it up any better!!
    If the review doesn't spot an obvious error in normal time (no slow-mo) then the ref/lino's decision should stand. I would also put a maximum time limit on an offside review eg. say max one minute (or even 45 secs) at which point the review ends and the original decision stands!!
    The present system is totally against the spirit of the game, it not only bespoils the spectacle but also the spirit of the game which is something that the FA etal supposedly hold dear!!!!

Is there any spirit left in the game at PL level? I haven't spotted much below the money tree

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)