+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: So what do we do now

Yes, each to his own Sinkov fair enough, but I would enjoy it if they tried it out on the training ground. Remember Burnley in the 1954 -57 period,(I saw several games then), played the short corners the forwards were relatively small players,in the days of ( Jimmy McIlroy & co). They did not just wake up in the morning and say Ok, we will play 'short corners' today. Its thought, development ,training and practise etc. If they try it and it does not work ,O K we tried it , but they will never know untill they try it!

BT: I do not agree with you on calling it 'fancy stuff'. Fancy stuff to me is when some player tries to dribble too much,and looses the ball or just near goal he tries a 'back heeler' to nowhere? If we take a short corner, thats not fancy stuff ,its part of football's 'tactics'. If Sean started a new style,it is not 'fancy stuff ,its a new tactic!

( May you all have a nice day ,here we had 190 rockets fired on us yesterday. But me, moi? I am ok, so long as I can watch Burnley on the net!!)

( May you all have a nice day ,here we had 190 rockets fired on us yesterday. But me, moi? I am ok, so long as I can watch Burnley on the net!!)

Perhaps we can persuade SD to just blow away the opposition Balan...

Attachment 14313

Joe Devlin

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    That wily old Scot Joe Devlin of Accy Stanley fame used to tell us to "Cut our cloth accordingly" and cut out the fancy stuff. In other words play to your strengths not your weaknesses. I think SD has picked up Joe's play book.
    Goodness me that brought back a few memories.Back in the day when footballers hung up their boots and there wasn't the same opportunities to carry on in football in a different capacity, they had to find a different trade. Believe it or not Joe Devlin used to fix our vacuum cleaner!! I remember Dad and him having the crack about Stanley in broad Scottish accents. At one time the entire Stanley team was made up of Scots. Dad used to love watching Stanley. It was a big blow to the town when they went out of business. In my first job I used to work with Norrie McCreadie's wife. Both these guys short in stature but big in heart.

Quote Originally Posted by frantastic51 View Post
    Goodness me that brought back a few memories.Back in the day when footballers hung up their boots and there wasn't the same opportunities to carry on in football in a different capacity, they had to find a different trade. Believe it or not Joe Devlin used to fix our vacuum cleaner!! I remember Dad and him having the crack about Stanley in broad Scottish accents. At one time the entire Stanley team was made up of Scots. Dad used to love watching Stanley. It was a big blow to the town when they went out of business. In my first job I used to work with Norrie McCreadie's wife. Both these guys short in stature but big in heart.
    I'm pretty sure Joe is still going, I'm sure I saw Joe and his daughter Elaine in Accy a few weeks ago. I was driving and couldn't stop.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)