+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Wiles

Ben Wiles

How good is this kid ?
    Obviously his best position is centre mid where he can really influence things,but mainly due to improved form of Barlaser he has been playing out wide,which does him no favours at all.
    However due to Thompson being sent off he ends up playing at fullback,which at the time seemed a very bad idea.
    But the last 2 games he has been a revelation in this position,he really looks like he has played there for years !
    At Oxford he looked very assured,read the game well,decent tackles and headers,and his distribution was very good,apart from one nightmare moment near the end.
    I`m sure he would rather play in midfield,but it wouldn`t bother me if he stayed at fullback for rest of season.
    Well done Ben.

He aint a left back Towner but credit to him for making a really good go of it on Saturday.I was a bit puzzled why he swapped positions with Olasunde on Saturday at least Olasunde has played left back before. Surely it would have been better to leave him on his more natural side if we are gonna play him at full back in an emergency. Give the poor bloke a chance Warney! Apart from the pass back he did do well tho as you say. If they had scored from that tho I don't think it would have done much for his confidence.

We still need some proper full backs and a cb because if owt happens to iekwe or Wood we will be knacked till Thompson comes back.. Hopefully Mattock will be back at left back on Saturday and maybe his absence has given him time to get back to full fitness.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 13-01-2020 at 08:26 PM.

If Ben turns out as good as his grandad we may make a decent profit on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    How good is this kid ?
    Obviously his best position is centre mid where he can really influence things,but mainly due to improved form of Barlaser he has been playing out wide,which does him no favours at all.
    However due to Thompson being sent off he ends up playing at fullback,which at the time seemed a very bad idea.
    But the last 2 games he has been a revelation in this position,he really looks like he has played there for years !
    At Oxford he looked very assured,read the game well,decent tackles and headers,and his distribution was very good,apart from one nightmare moment near the end.
    I`m sure he would rather play in midfield,but it wouldn`t bother me if he stayed at fullback for rest of season.
    Well done Ben.
    So if he turned out to be bad like you thought would you have blamed Warney? 😉

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    He aint a left back Towner but credit to him for making a really good go of it on Saturday.I was a bit puzzled why he swapped positions with Olasunde on Saturday at least Olasunde has played left back before. Surely it would have been better to leave him on his more natural side if we are gonna play him at full back in an emergency. Give the poor bloke a chance Warney! Apart from the pass back he did do well tho as you say. If they had scored from that tho I don't think it would have done much for his confidence.

We still need some proper full backs and a cb because if owt happens to iekwe or Wood we will be knacked till Thompson comes back.. Hopefully Mattock will be back at left back on Saturday and maybe his absence has given him time to get back to full fitness.
    He switched Matt Olosunde to right back because the lad on their left wing was a decent player, all tactical having a more natural right back to mark a player that was causing us problems.
    Mattock to be back for Saturday.
    Last edited by CASPER-64-FRANK; 13-01-2020 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Can't spell Mattock.

Trouble was Casper when he went on the left side they brought that Browne on their right side who is a bit useful. I thought he was doing ok against their left winger before he swapped sides.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Trouble was Casper when he went on the left side they brought that Browne on their right side who is a bit useful. I thought he was doing ok against their left winger before he swapped sides.
    Problem was in the first half roly, Fosu their left winger is a decent player on his day. By putting the more natural right back there it allowed Chieo to get forward more instead of Ogbene helping Ben out.
    Browne, Holland came on at half time and Matty Taylor after an hour, that's three quality players.
    Hakeeb Aladekun taken off and Lindsay came on to help Ben out, he was under pressure that second half more than the first half, Ben did really well apart from a couple of mistakes.

That's how I saw it.
    Last edited by CASPER-64-FRANK; 13-01-2020 at 08:53 PM. Reason: AFTERTHOUGHT.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    Problem was in the first half roly, Fosu their left winger is a decent player on his day. By putting the more natural right back there it allowed Chieo to get forward more instead of Ogbene helping Ben out.
    Browne, Holland came on at half time and Matty Taylor after an hour, that's three quality players.
    Hakeeb Aladekun taken off and Lindsay came on to help Ben out, he was under pressure that second half more than the first half, Ben did really well apart from a couple of mistakes.

That's how I saw it.
    That’s how I saw it

problem starts for wiles on saturday. mattock is back so who plays LB? if its mattock where is wiles. bench or left wing?

Yep not denying he did well in an unfamiliar position. It made sense to bring on Lyndsey to help him out.

Cayton, I think Wiles may be on subs bench because I think the new lad will be on the wing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast