+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Struber, is he actually any good?

I don't envy any head coach working under these constraints. Struber has a style of play but not the personnel to carry it out. It appears he is now being found out. It was embarrassing what I saw yesterday against a club in the division below. However, let's face it, cut this club open and we bleed the characteristics of a league 1 club. These owners have systematically embarrassed the fans with 2nd rate signings and shown zero respect to the high standard levels of the championship.

When Struber arrived the club announced that he had been 'a long term target'. How the hell can you say that? Were they in hot pursuit of Struber whilst Daniel Stendel was winning us promotion?

The Austrian signings given to Struber need to show that they are better than the players we currently have or it becomes almost a case of nepotism and that will create a divide in the camp which we certainly could do without

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    I don't envy any head coach working under these constraints. Struber has a style of play but not the personnel to carry it out. It appears he is now being found out. It was embarrassing what I saw yesterday against a club in the division below. However, let's face it, cut this club open and we bleed the characteristics of a league 1 club. These owners have systematically embarrassed the fans with 2nd rate signings and shown zero respect to the high standard levels of the championship.

When Struber arrived the club announced that he had been 'a long term target'. How the hell can you say that? Were they in hot pursuit of Struber whilst Daniel Stendel was winning us promotion?

The Austrian signings given to Struber need to show that they are better than the players we currently have or it becomes almost a case of nepotism and that will create a divide in the camp which we certainly could do without
    I wouldn’t be too concerned on that front, from recent evidence they will fit nicely into a L1 outfit and offer competition for places.

Quote Originally Posted by b1gduk View Post
    I wouldn’t be too concerned on that front, from recent evidence they will fit nicely into a L1 outfit and offer competition for places.
    We saw this kind of thing in the PL season duk , players from abroad were brought in on huge personal terms who were no better than the lads who got us up to the PL .

Tinkler , Krizan , Hristov etc etc were on far more money than Redders , Shez and Nicky Eaden and it caused a huge rift .

We aren't a club who do well unless we are all together .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    We saw this kind of thing in the PL season duk , players from abroad were brought in on huge personal terms who were no better than the lads who got us up to the PL .

Tinkler , Krizan , Hristov etc etc were on far more money than Redders , Shez and Nicky Eaden and it caused a huge rift .

We aren't a club who do well unless we are all together .

Exactly right.

There's no doubt since Struber has come in we've been "better" generally, but like a few others have said this performance was coming; and there's a chance we won't come back from it. I don't mind Struber enforcing his policy and making it clear that if certain players don't work hard enough they are not part of his plans (Wilks for example). But there's numerous others that were part of a very good team last year and they've just been cast aside. Pinillos, McGeehan, even Cavare appear to have not even been given a chance under Struber. No doubt he'll have looked at them in training but it's almost like he's made the job harder by not even having these players around the squad. I get Cavare might be a handful to manage but get him playing and focused and he wipes the floor with Williams. Cameron gave his all for us last year so I'm not sure why with a bit of tweaking and "coaching" he couldn't adapt to Strubers style. Crikey I'd even have Thiam on the bench at the minute. The starting 11 is weak enough without an abject lightweight bench. So for this reason I have to question his approach. We're in a bad situation and yet we keep making what appear to be poor decisions. We can all see the issues from the sidelines, so why can't the so called experts who are paid to makee the right decisions see what the probems are?? Average players from a poor foreign league are a waste of time. I'd rather them play the kids...

Spot on frog particularly with regard to Cam [too good to be allowed to leave] which suggests Struber's not good at getting the best out of his squad. Much easier to import even though they might be sh1te
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 27-01-2020 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by french_frog01 View Post
    There's no doubt since Struber has come in we've been "better" generally, but like a few others have said this performance was coming; and there's a chance we won't come back from it. I don't mind Struber enforcing his policy and making it clear that if certain players don't work hard enough they are not part of his plans (Wilks for example). But there's numerous others that were part of a very good team last year and they've just been cast aside. Pinillos, McGeehan, even Cavare appear to have not even been given a chance under Struber. No doubt he'll have looked at them in training but it's almost like he's made the job harder by not even having these players around the squad. I get Cavare might be a handful to manage but get him playing and focused and he wipes the floor with Williams. Cameron gave his all for us last year so I'm not sure why with a bit of tweaking and "coaching" he couldn't adapt to Strubers style. Crikey I'd even have Thiam on the bench at the minute. The starting 11 is weak enough without an abject lightweight bench. So for this reason I have to question his approach. We're in a bad situation and yet we keep making what appear to be poor decisions. We can all see the issues from the sidelines, so why can't the so called experts who are paid to makee the right decisions see what the probems are?? Average players from a poor foreign league are a waste of time. I'd rather them play the kids...
    Thiam would certainly add weight to the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by french_frog01 View Post
    Perhaps the so called experts can see exactly what is going on, perhaps they are making the right decisions. The difference is their objectives and priorities are not the same as the regular supporter. Of course they cannot tell us the exact line that is taken in the boardroom because supporters wont like what they hear. They are business people and are looking to maximise profit and see how far we can take the club on the crumbs. The next big push will be the marketing spin for early take-up of Season Tickets for next season. This will be another attempt pull to tug the heartstrings and get supporters to renew on sentiment, club affiliation and town identity which has a certain amount of guaranteed success but will never encourage a growth in support which is what the club really needs for success.

When the model is buy young and cheap , develop and sell on for profit asap is the business model it means we only every and will ever have a batch of potentially good players. Any genuinely good player will be looking for the next opportunity. This is why we cannot build for the next season because every season we essentially have to start all over again, what we are left with is not quality and we have to spend the first half of every season bedding in a set of new players that may or may not make the cut.

Each season we have been promoted from L1 to Championship we sell off any asset of value and replace with more young "potential". It doesnt work, we change manager who has new system, we swap out more players, it does or doesn't work.

The current model is futile, so I am guessing most regular Barnsley FC fans have seen this cycle over and over and over again and will say stuff like , its always been this way, we are Barnsley not Barcelona etc .... if so then why bother moaning, just accept what comes because its always been this way ?!? If we have rubbish defenders its because we sold Mawson, Roberts, Pinnock Lindsey but thats just the way it is.

Only a successful football product offering has a chance of seriously increasing gate receipts and until that happens its more of the same ... Catch 22.
    Last edited by b1gduk; 27-01-2020 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by b1gduk View Post
    Perhaps the so called experts can see exactly what is going on, perhaps they are making the right decisions. The difference is their objectives and priorities are not the same as the regular supporter. Of course they cannot tell us the exact line that is taken in the boardroom because supporters wont like what they hear. They are business people and are looking to maximise profit and see how far we can take the club on the crumbs. The next big push will be the marketing spin for early take-up of Season Tickets for next season. This will be another attempt pull to tug the heartstrings and get supporters to renew on sentiment, club affiliation and town identity which has a certain amount of guaranteed success but will never encourage a growth in support which is what the club really needs for success.

When the model is buy young and cheap , develop and sell on for profit asap is the business model it means we only every and will ever have a batch of potentially good players. Any genuinely good player will be looking for the next opportunity. This is why we cannot build for the next season because every season we essentially have to start all over again, what we are left with is not quality and we have to spend the first half of every season bedding in a set of new players that may or may not make the cut.

Each season we have been promoted from L1 to Championship we sell off any asset of value and replace with more young "potential". It doesnt work, we change manager who has new system, we swap out more players, it does or doesn't work.

The current model is futile, so I am guessing most regular Barnsley FC fans have seen this cycle over and over and over again and will say stuff like , its always been this way, we are Barnsley not Barcelona etc .... if so then why bother moaning, just accept what comes because its always been this way ?!? If we have rubbish defenders its because we sold Mawson, Roberts, Pinnock Lindsey but thats just the way it is.

Only a successful football product offering has a chance of seriously increasing gate receipts and until that happens its more of the same ... Catch 22.
    The ownership seem to believe they can gain a profit on their investment by not spending so much as a penny of their own money duk .

All the risk is actually placed on the club's ability to be able to spin low level players in to higher value players using the same recycled money minus the costs of running the club .

There is very little risk to them personally and as times kicked on from discovering decent talent at one time we are now finding the talent well to be virtually dry .

It's the fans watching the decline in quality on the field who have to bear their shenanigans .

The club although most certainly a selling club was never set up in such a way as we've seen these last five years .

My own view is that the club at least as far as the fans are concerned is in some trouble and a decline is with us .

This plan has so far delivered Patrick Cryne selling a very competitive championship team that became a poor one and now we are seeing a very good league one team descend in to a very average one .

There's very little evidence at the moment that says an average league one team couldn't slide towards a very poor one next season a level lower , our better players such as Woodrow , Chaplin , Mowatt and Brown will most certainly leave the club this coming summer to cover the loss of championship revenue and with a suspect recruitment record of late it hardly fills me with confidence that the slide can be stabilised .

The plan is actually a massive failure for the fans given we were 7th in the championship on new years day 2017 and are now staring down the barrel of a second championship relegation in two years .

If I was clever enough to produce a graph on this page starting on January 1st 2017 it would hit you right between the eyes .

Very worrying times ahead .

Our club lost its soul the day Rimmo passed away , no connection now with the club I loved all my life , it's a load of ballax we here / or maybe not here from this current Boardroom , WHAT ABOUT THE FANS ? 7 maybe 8 k attendances next season ? Hope your happy , don't bother sending my renewal letter thank you , it wil save on costs ! Penny pinching arrsoyles

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast