+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brereton and Samuel

Brereton and Samuel

I thought these lads did really well last night, and the game changed when they came on.
    Last night was a positive, in what is turning out to be a season which we are getting better. Despite losing numerous key players, we are now looking a real team, with a good solid system.
    Our defence is finally sorted, and the keeper is improving every week. He keeps alot of clean sheets, I think we should get him. Are we really going to find anyone better?
    I am NOT being negative hee!! Last night was excellent. But it proved again, that Bennett should no longer be getting in this side. I have no doubt he tries, runs about, puts in 100%. But he is a poor player, with nothing left to give. If we are wanting to improve, we need to move past players who 'just' run around. We need ball retention.
    Graham actually did a few knock downs in the first half, but looked laboured. Not enough contribution overall. These 2 need taking out of the side, altogether. Brereton looked fit last night, hungry. He looked fast, he changed the game.
    I still fail to see why we didnt get a penalty for the keeper going straight through him. The ref bottled it, felt sorry for the keeper who had just dropped a clanger. And if he had given the pen, he would have to have sent the keeper off.
    While Gally is out, give Brereton some game time, same with Samuel. Play 3 upfront on Sat vrs Charlton.
    Brereton down the middle. Its not even a discussion point. Proved again last night. He is a CF. Completely wasted playing out wide. Samuel can play that position quite well.

I'd play this team away at Charlton.

Walton - GK
    Nyambe - RB
    Lenihan - CH
    Tosin - CH
    Bell - LB

Travis - DCM
    Johnson - CM
    Downing - RM

Samuel - RW
    Brereton CF
    Armstrong - LW

Time for the likes of Bennett @ Graham to step aside and let others come in. As all this bodes very well for next season. Buckley looked decent last night. I'd much rather he took Bennett's place on the bench.

Great summary of last night and current situation.
    Only change I would make from your side is the inclusion of Davenport,instead of Johnson.
    That is the only change from a great looking side.

Completely objectively, though, didn't you think Bennett had a decent game, Champs?
    I'd rather have him in than Johnson, to be honest, although I also agree with Robin about Davenport.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Completely objectively, though, didn't you think Bennett had a decent game, Champs?
    I'd rather have him in than Johnson, to be honest, although I also agree with Robin about Davenport.
    No, he was awful. Hence he got dragged after less than an hour. And we improved 10 fold after both him and Graham went off.

I think the change in formation, generally, was the big factor, but we did create a huge number of chances in the first hour, anyway - three in the first five minutes!
    Graham actually won a lot of ball, but we don't seem to have anybody who "reads" him when Dack is absent.
    I simply don't agree that Bennett was "awful". We know that he has never been an accurate passer, but he is very good at helping colleagues out, and mopping up the loose stuff.
    I see the value in bits-and-pieces players. It goes back to Mowbray's comments from two years ago about "soldiers" and "artists".
    I do think you have got to the point where you are looking for his errors rather than seeing what he DOES do well.

I think the change in formation, generally, was the big factor, but we did create a huge number of chances in the first hour, anyway - three in the first five minutes!
    Graham actually won a lot of ball, but we don't seem to have anybody who "reads" him when Dack is absent.
    I simply don't agree that Bennett was "awful". We know that he has never been an accurate passer, but he is very good at helping colleagues out, and mopping up the loose stuff.
    I see the value in bits-and-pieces players. It goes back to Mowbray's comments from two years ago about "soldiers" and "artists".
    I do think you have got to the point where you are looking for his errors rather than seeing what he DOES do well.
    I really don't want to get dragged into a yes hecis, no he isnt discussion. I have my opinion, you have yours.
    I am intrigued however, what and where were the good things he did the other night before being whipped off in the 58th min?

Travis is a bit and pieces player. But brings with him so much more. Does Bennett create goals? Does Bennett score goals? He plays in midfield, if he doesn't do the first 2, then he better be amazing attacking, which he isn't, or passing, which is his weakest of all. So all the things I'd expect of a second division footballer, he cant do? So what exactly does he bring. Everytime Bell got the ball on ties, Bennett wasn't in front of him. He had nowhere to go.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    Travis is a bit and pieces player. But brings with him so much more. Does Bennett create goals? Does Bennett score goals? He plays in midfield, if he doesn't do the first 2, then he better be amazing attacking, which he isn't, or passing, which is his weakest of all. So all the things I'd expect of a second division footballer, he cant do? So what exactly does he bring. Everytime Bell got the ball on ties, Bennett wasn't in front of him. He had nowhere to go.
    Also, its worth mentioning as I feel some players get a huge let off.
    This is a midfielder. What does he bring?
    Does he score goals? No.
    Have shots? No.
    Create goals? No.
    Make important tackles, and break play up? No.
    Can he pass? No
    Can he win headers? No
    Can he cross a ball? No

The really annoying thing about his normal performance on Tues, every single time Bell got the ball and put it on his left foot, the guy in front of him on the pitch was not there. No out ball, no option. Bell had to keep going back to the centre halves, or inside to Travis or Johnson, as Bennett kept coming inside providing no width.

Mowbray didn't hook him the other night because he played well. He was hooked in the 58th min, because we wanted to win the game. Bennett doesn't win you a game. He also offers very little.
    Mowbray hasn't taken him out of the side, because he is important to the side.
    Mowbray didn't take Smallwood out of the side because he was any good. He was taken out, because he dropped beneath the the level good enough to play at this level. Bennett is being phased out not because he is any good, but because he has fallen below the acceptable level.
    This is professional football, not under 12's. You need to offer more than running about and offering nothing else.
    The soldier and artist comment is something I remember Aucks. I am not stupid.
    The players he reffered to as the example of that was Dack and Smallwood.
    Why does Smallwood not feature as a soldier anymore Aucks?

Travis is a soldier, look what he offers? Is Bennett at that level? No, that's why he doesn't play anymore. And when he does, on the odd occasion, he is taken off after an hour. The level we need is the level Travis is at.

This is not me saying this, I am not going mad. It is something most people have noticed. Namely the manager of the football club. Forget my view on him, watch and see what Mowbray does with him.

fancy a bet he starts next season?

No - you've got me wrong, Champs. Bennett would not be in my first XI - especially not with a full squad available - but he still features quite regularly because 100% players, even when they don't have the natural talent of some others, keep a team ticking over.
    We have seen the same in the past with people like Keith Andrews and Mark Atkins.
    In Bennett's case, I would say he's 5-10% below what he was at his best, and that is enough to suggest he will not be a regular starter any more, but I still don't agree he is useless.
    In his defence, in the last year or so, how many times has he played in his natural position. on the right flank of midfield? That can't have helped!

No - you've got me wrong, Champs. Bennett would not be in my first XI - especially not with a full squad available - but he still features quite regularly because 100% players, even when they don't have the natural talent of some others, keep a team ticking over.
    We have seen the same in the past with people like Keith Andrews and Mark Atkins.
    In Bennett's case, I would say he's 5-10% below what he was at his best, and that is enough to suggest he will not be a regular starter any more, but I still don't agree he is useless.
    In his defence, in the last year or so, how many times has he played in his natural position. on the right flank of midfield? That can't have helped!
    Today just proves the point. Get Bennett out of this side, and get a young player in. Thats 2 goals Buckley has scored this season. Bennett hasn't got that in 3 seasons. We need more than some bloke past his best running about offering nothing. We need more. And all this will bode well for next season. We are on for finishing with 76 points, which probably gets us in the play offs. Thats we we average 2 points a game over the final 13.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)