Get prepared for when football returns - Stock up on PPE now!
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: We need a restart...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    We need a restart...

    After an okay first half, that second half was appalling. It was arguably even more concerning than the Accies collapse because then the players were individually awful, this was a structural issue where our 4-3-3, with the players we had, was woefully exposed. And Robinson couldn't or wouldn't change it except with like for like substitutes, the second one being a total liability, despite watching St Johnstone (!) set up camp on our box for 40 minutes.

    As much as the midfield was overrun, it was not particularly their fault. The front three were hopeless to the extent we were basically playing defence v attack with eight men for long spells. That trio didn't track back, our midfield three were totally outmanned and when we scrambled the ball back, the defence saw they were in no position to take the ball so go long. Except we have neither a target man nor anyone capable of properly running in behind so the ball immediately comes back, minus our front three tracking, and the cycle repeats.

    We were not world beaters before Christmas and we are not relegation fodder now. But the guys who really lifted us up late last year - Gillespie, Gallagher, Polworth - have all faded to various extents.

    Worst case, we finish in the top six so it's hardly worth a total meltdown. Returning to your 'true' position after a strong start is never pleasant but that'll be happening bloody quickly unless we come up with a plan B.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    After an okay first half, that second half was appalling. It was arguably even more concerning than the Accies collapse because then the players were individually awful, this was a structural issue where our 4-3-3, with the players we had, was woefully exposed. And Robinson couldn't or wouldn't change it except with like for like substitutes, the second one being a total liability, despite watching St Johnstone (!) set up camp on our box for 40 minutes.

    As much as the midfield was overrun, it was not particularly their fault. The front three were hopeless to the extent we were basically playing defence v attack with eight men for long spells. That trio didn't track back, our midfield three were totally outmanned and when we scrambled the ball back, the defence saw they were in no position to take the ball so go long. Except we have neither a target man nor anyone capable of properly running in behind so the ball immediately comes back, minus our front three tracking, and the cycle repeats.

    We were not world beaters before Christmas and we are not relegation fodder now. But the guys who really lifted us up late last year - Gillespie, Gallagher, Polworth - have all faded to various extents.

    Worst case, we finish in the top six so it's hardly worth a total meltdown. Returning to your 'true' position after a strong start is never pleasant but that'll be happening bloody quickly unless we come up with a plan B.
    Wasn't there tonight, but going by your critique (and previous recent performances), something is putting us into 'reverse' gear. Playing a midfield 3 certainly leaves us exposed. Time for a rethink? Yes! Saturday is now a massive game, both in terms of the League, and for the Cup. If we don't hand St Mirren a defeat, they'll pitch up for the replay full of confidence.

  3. #3
    On the basis that all our wingers are currently awful, I would scrap the plan for width...perhaps play Aarons at the top of a diamond and tell him to go wherever, or give that to Polworth and hope less defensive duty helps him snap back to form. Whatever, we should certainly go back to four in central midfield with either Long and a winger or another 'striker' - I use the term loosely - alongside him. God knows who that would be though.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    On the basis that all our wingers are currently awful, I would scrap the plan for width...perhaps play Aarons at the top of a diamond and tell him to go wherever, or give that to Polworth and hope less defensive duty helps him snap back to form. Whatever, we should certainly go back to four in central midfield with either Long and a winger or another 'striker' - I use the term loosely - alongside him. God knows who that would be though.
    Was the enigma that is Mr Anthony Watt performing tonight?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    Was the enigma that is Mr Anthony Watt performing tonight?
    He was on the pitch. Performing? Hmm.

    He had one good run to hold the ball up but otherwise looked slow and heavy. I wouldn't write him off yet but he looks three-four weeks off being sharp enough to contribute rather than just needing a couple of runs from the bench.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    He was on the pitch. Performing? Hmm.

    He had one good run to hold the ball up but otherwise looked slow and heavy. I wouldn't write him off yet but he looks three-four weeks off being sharp enough to contribute rather than just needing a couple of runs from the bench.
    That's just a wee bit different from Sir Steve's appraisal then ... paraphrasing, but it went along the lines of 'he's sharp, fit, hungry and he'll do us a turn'.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,015
    I think we're now seeing a reverse of last season in that when back then we had a poor first half of the season and a better second half, this time it's the other way around. Losing Scott in January and failing to address the strike force and adequately replace him is going to be our downfall I fear. We have no threat in that team and minus Scott we now have no one capable of beating players and holding up the ball. We are so one dimensional and sides have inevitably cottoned on to this and you struggle to see where goals will come from at the moment.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,702
    Throw this into the mix guys ...
    These players were A1 and playing really well August thru December:
    Gillespie, Gallacher, Polworth, Campbell and Donnelly.
    Very much the spine of the team. Nowadays, there seems to be a collective loss of form / confidence there. If we can't get these guys back to playing like they were previously we're in trouble!

  9. #9
    Absolutely.

    I think we all recognised our position was less to do with us being brilliant rather than some circumstances coming together.

    But at the same time, our one win in six poor run also has some circumstances to mitigate it.

    Those aren't there for the next few games though, there's no excuses for of picking up again now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •