+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stoke(home)predictions

While it was disappointing not to have found a way of winning last night, think about Stoke. 1 point above the bottom 3. The sides below them are finding ways of winning games, and they are happy with a point last night. Which possibly won't be enough. I can't actually believe they didnt even try and get a win by putting some pressure on. Hopefully that lack of ambition comes back to haunt them considering the millions they have spent in comparison to the likes of us.

I cant disagree with that.
    The lead up to the game was treated almost as "this will be no trouble" and "the top 6 here we come"
    This reaction over heightens expectations and to be honest it did with me slightly.
    Which isn't like me at all.

The biggest let down last night was Lenihan who I thought was stupid getting that yellow. It was inevitable they would target him which they did. We made it too widely known and made too big a deal over the past few games. And while I like him, he's a bit numb at times, and I always felt he was going to get a yellow before these last few games.
    Now we miss him for 2 games. I do think William's will be back, despite what TM said about him not training yet.
    I'd keep it simple. Move Nyambe next to Tosin. And bring Bennett in at RB.
    I also wouldn't keep giving SG a start for now. I feel Samuel does deserve a start again now, or try Brereton.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    Onto the next extremely tough test where the players and manager will absolutely do their bit. Will everyone else associated to Rovers?
    I will.. I've calmed down, taken stock and am ready to go again, as I'm sure the lads will be.

Very good posts again Phill. Perspective I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    Controversial, but today Leeds United have announced dropping out of the race for promotion, because they lost at home to Wigan. They are the first side in the history of the Championship to have lost to a side who are in the bottom 3. The club have announced that 'its these results against the bottom 3 will come back and haunt us'
    Everyone in Football knows, no side doing well at the top can every lose to a side in the bottom 3.

Bristol City quickly followed suit. They have removed themselves from the play off hunt. They lost at home to a poor Huddersfield side. No decent side can every lost at home to a side near the bottom. It has never happened before, shock-waves are moving throughout the Championship. Coupled with their recent poor form, they have decided its best to remove themselves from the race for the play-offs.

Fulham think its best they pull out, having lost at home 0-3 to Barnsley have decided enough is enough. You don't lose to a side in the bottom 3. Nobody does.

No side in the Championship has every lost to a side sat at the bottom scrapping for points.

More news to follow later.
    This made me chuckle too..

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    In the end, I still think fans react to the result as if it tells the whole story.
    Let's imagine Travis had put that chance away right at the death.
    That wouldn't have changed anything hat had happened in the previous 95 minutes, but I bet supporters would be reacting as if it HAD!
    Sometimes you are going to break down a stubborn defence; sometimes you're not - and which one happens is going to be the result of MANY possible factors - including luck.
    Same could be said for the Wigan and Brum games at Ewood where we hit the bar in both games near the end. Those had gone in, it'd be viewed differently, despite under par performances in both games.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    Same could be said for the Wigan and Brum games at Ewood where we hit the bar in both games near the end. Those had gone in, it'd be viewed differently, despite under par performances in both games.
    I think that's right, Saxo.
    A lot of supporters won't care about a poor performance if a shot goes in off someone's backside in the 95th minute!

I seem to be in a bit of a minority with Gallagher. I thought he was our best forward on the night!
    Armstrong and Rothwell started as if on fire, but how much did we we see of either from about 30 minutes onward?
    SG did actually win a number of headers, but Nyambe was the only one who looked to feed off them.
    I don't entirely agree with the argument that he shouldn't be the "wide forward" either.
    It was clear that the plan was for Gallagher to move into the area whenever the attack was down our left. Unfortunately, although he had a decent game in other respects, Bell seemed very reluctant to put a cross in. He cut back inside and played a square pass almost every time he moved forward. Three or four times, I saw Gallagher run diagonally into the area in anticipation, but I think the ball only reached him once in that situation.
    I've actually become happier about the combination of SG and RN down the right flank now, but I do think Armstrong and Rothwell have to work a bit harder at making Gallagher's efforts worth while. Twice, he made backwards headers, beating two opponents, and he himself was the only one who chased the ball!
    On the topic of formations, it looks as if Johnson has been given a very fixed role (in two senses). He clearly is now used to patrol the central area and break up attacks, without moving beyond that very much, thus freeing up Travis and Downing to surge forward in more attacking roles. That's fine, but I think he needs to release the ball more quickly. There's no point the other two going beyond him on a break, if they then have to stop and wait for the pass.
    Speaking of passing - ok, two or three went astray, but Downing's range of passes is so much better than anyone else's (with the possible exception of Tosin). Most of our players do not look capable of playing the long switch, for example.
    I get the impression that both Buckley and Rankin-Costello are "technical" players, so I am hoping that they will eventually improve the team in this respect.

Don't know why they put Downing on free kicks though, as he isn't very good at them.. no power.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    I will.. I've calmed down, taken stock and am ready to go again, as I'm sure the lads will be.

Very good posts again Phill. Perspective I needed.
    Good lad ::
    we desperately need to keep supporting them. It was disappointing the other night, but I just see all of this as a bonus, the simple fact we are up here.
    Next season is the one I feel we really have got a chance of having a good go at this promotion lark. Try for the play-offs.
    All this is just experience, and bodes well for the future. A decent Rovers side made up largely of our own academy lads. That's something I feel we can all get behind.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)