+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Swansea(home)predictions

Well, we fashioned 16 scoring attempts, compared to 9 by Swansea - reported, in advance, to be one of the most creative teams in the Championship.
    And we were without Dack, Holtby, Evans, Lenihan, Williams and Cunningham, who might all have been automatic choices earlier in the season.
    With a patchwork team, to be so close to the play-offs looks like a reasonable achievement to me, and an extra bonus was how sharp Brereton looked.
    Incidentally, there is a clip of the Walton incident on the Telegraph "live" match-thread. It looks worse every time I see it. You can also tell that the Swansea player was expecting a "red"!
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 29-02-2020 at 09:37 PM.

Incidentally, Saxo, I'm not arguing that we were particularly fluent. I'm just saying that there was little between the teams, despite our having lost so many influential players.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Not enough sleep again. Found it hard to drift off after returning to bed. But there you go.
    Come on, lads, that was a really enjoyable game. Obviously, the result is a disappointment, but a draw was the least we deserved. Lots of chances created, and some decent football. In addition, we should have been playing against ten for about 80 minutes.
    You just have to accept that there's a strong element of luck involved where results in this Championship are concerned, because - in terms of ability - there's very little between most of the teams. Look at today's scores for confirmation. Wigan beating WBA away?
    And think about the moaning if we had suffered the kind of decline Sheffield Wednesday fans have had to put up with! Earlier this season, it was, "Why can't we be like Preston?" - and they've now lost three of their last five.
    We're five unbeaten and still in it - despite having a whole block of our best players missing. I'm looking forward to the last ten games, because anything can happen.
    I completely agree. And with the other post where you mention all our attacking players being injured, without Lenihan etc. We where unlucky not to beat them. And it was a red. All things considered we are doing very well to be only one win outside the play offs. With some really exciting games to come at home. Who knows, we may just not have enough in and end? Or maybe we have. I see no real clear favourite from the play off pack.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    I completely agree. And with the other post where you mention all our attacking players being injured, without Lenihan etc. We where unlucky not to beat them. And it was a red. All things considered we are doing very well to be only one win outside the play offs. With some really exciting games to come at home. Who knows, we may just not have enough in and end? Or maybe we have. I see no real clear favourite from the play off pack.
    I sort of didn't notice at the time, Champs, but we had no defenders on the bench. If Tosin or Nyambe had been injured, I think Leutwiler would have come on as a centre-back.

Travis would of gone in at centre half aucks.
    It wouldn't of been ideal but he has played there before.
    We have a extra days rest now before a tough away match against derby a week today.

Aucks.. we definitely are affected by the missing players, and are doing great in the circumstances.

Need Lenny back though.. that's clear.

I take it that we don't have early recall rights for Wharton. Also, the two U-23 centre-backs who were at the head of the queue in August - Magloire and Grayson - have both been injured. As you say, therefore, Lenihan is crucial - especially as moving Nyambe to the middle means we don't benefit as much from his attacks down the flank.
    To be fair, Bennett did gradually come to terms with Ayew, and I thought he actually did well in the final 20-odd minutes, providing decent support to the forwards, and making two or three penetrating passes.
    Speaking of Ayew, he is someone who has always impressed against us, but if you look at Swansea fan-sites, they say he often fades from a game, and doesn't do much when the team is on the back foot. Typical winger, I suppose you could say!
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 01-03-2020 at 08:59 PM.

I take it that we don't have early recall rights for Wharton. Also, the two U-23 centre-backs who were at the head of the queue in August - Magloire and Grayson - have both been injured. As you say, therefore, Lenihan is crucial - especially as moving Nyambe to the middle means we don't benefit as much from his attacks down the flank.
    To be fair, Bennett did gradually come to terms with Ayew, and I thought he actually did well in the final 20-odd minutes, providing decent support to the forwards, and making two or three penetrating passes.
    Speaking of Ayew, he is someone who has always impressed against us, but if you look at Swansea fan-sites, they say he often fades from a game, and doesn't do much when the team is on the back foot. Typical winger, I suppose you could say!
    Ayew scared the **** out of me.. top winger. Would love him as an option for us.

On that topic, Saxo, did you see that lad, Sarr, against Liverpool?
    Absolutely brilliant!

On that topic, Saxo, did you see that lad, Sarr, against Liverpool?
    Absolutely brilliant!
    What did you think of Swansea? I thought Travis had a good game, and was our best player. But he was given a tough ride vrs them. They had a young lad, Gallagher. I thought he was tremendous. He ran the game for quite long spells, and look assured. A lovely footballer.
    Brewster took his goal very well (cocky little ****) but didn't do much else.
    I did think Bennett improved and actually had one of his better games. I never felt there was much danger on his side.
    I did feel the one who suffered the most from Lenny's suspension was Tosin. Who didnt look as assured as normal. He looked nervy, and his passing wasn't good like normal. Hes a quiet lad, as is Nyambe as is Bell. There was no leader in defence, no singular voice.
    I felt Brereton coming on, changed the game. He does this most games now, then we dont see him again for 3 games. It's not on. He is a much better player than Samuel, faster, more direct, and carries more of a threat.
    Samuel is no better than Nuthall. If he left in the summer, it would be down to Div1. I think he needs to be moved on, he is taking up a space a better attacker can fill. He doesn't bring enough, no real pace or skill. In no way does he frighten defenders. Chapman was a better bet than him
    Aucks you recently mentioned not being opposed to SG playing left side of attack. I really am. And Sat proved when you play him in his actual position, he is very effective. He wins headers. But also is a goal threat. Armstrong was back to his normal self. Abd just didnt look interested. A really poor performance from him. I have no issues with DG having the pen. Thought it was too soon after he came on the pitch. Meaning he was a but cold. Armstrong was having such a poor day, I'm unsure he would've scored it. But no complaints, cant recall him ever missing one. It happens. Our attack needs to start being SG as centre forward. Armstrong out wide, as he is too small, and flits in and out of games too much to play centre. And Brereton. That lad HAS to start some games. It's unfair on him.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)