+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Premier League 2019/2020 stops?

Premier League 2019/2020 stops?

This may have been answered or discussed before but this is a genuine question from the other side of the world.

I have been reading in the news that they may stop the league because of the virus, where does this leave Newcastle in terms of the season? Do they just stop and restart at the beginning of next season meaning we just start looking at new players already?

The virus apparently makes you sluggish and lethargic I think our squad should be tested now

Joelinton is Patient Zero.

They'd continue to play the games behind closed doors IMO.

Would the players notice a difference at St James' park?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMac23 View Post
    Joelinton is Patient Zero.
    I have zero patience with him now.

To answer the OP, though...I honestly don't know. My guess is that if all sporting events were suspended then they'd write the season off, possibly give Liverpool the title but restart next season (assuming the situation allows it) with the same teams. The title, regardless of yesterday, is done but each of the clubs currently in the relegation zone could reasonably make a case for them getting out of it given the games left. This would have a knock-on effect on the leagues below and some clubs would feel very hard done by but we're entering uncharted waters so that's just my take on it.

Premier League and other supposed powers that be are discussing this and apparently it`s by no means certain that anyone will get a title which would be hilarious. As you say Zip it would be very hard on championship teams if they just wrote off this season with no relegation/promotion to or from the chimpo. I`m torn, let`s hope it doesn`t get so bad that such drastic action needs to be taken but as someone with a lifelong deep revulsion for LFC I`d be howling with laughter. Klopp was classy yesterday mind.

I think if the league is cancelled/suspended then there is probably a good chance that football is least of our worries.

I think for it to happen then something really really bad has happened pandemic style wise.

Probably resulting in a lot more deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    I think if the league is cancelled/suspended then there is probably a good chance that football is least of our worries.

I think for it to happen then something really really bad has happened pandemic style wise.

Probably resulting in a lot more deaths.
    This is a very good point.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)