Get prepared for when football returns - Stock up on PPE now!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 62

Thread: The Gentleman Magpie

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Seeing as you're interested, I was born in the bedroom of a council semi situated just before the bakery on the B600 in Watnall.

    I've never thought of it in terms of pride or shame, it's just where I was born. I must like the area though, because the four houses I've lived in since have all been within a few miles of there.
    One side of my family hails from Watnall Chaworth. Eel Hole Farm to be precise. I wonder if we're related EP

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    26,146
    Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    One side of my family hails from Watnall Chaworth. Eel Hole Farm to be precise. I wonder if we're related EP
    Doubt it, I come from Eastwood and Moorgreen coal mining stock, I doubt my lot mixed with the farmers! I am familiar with Eel Hole Farm however, because there is a coach firm which operates from there who I have been using for 25 years to hire my Cheltenham bus.

    I also think the HS2 line is routed to run straight through the middle of the farm!
    Last edited by Elite_Pie; 02-03-2020 at 12:48 PM.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    432
    Old pie thanks for mentioning the Pink un football post My dad always used to send me to get one from the man who used to go round the streets of the green( Hyson ) think his name was Eddy who used to stand on the corner of Alfreton Rd. and Hartley Rd. Most days
    then Saturdays nights after the match walked the streets until he had sold his papers

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    Good sporting area Elite, I played for Hazel Grove Celtic on Titchfield Park and Nabbs Lane FC strangely on Nabbs Lane Park.

    A prefab in Gedling for me and I do have a pride in my birthplace and returned to it a few years ago after 30 years away as it is a great community, a group of 15 friends from 50/60 years ago now meet quarterly for a catch up.
    Hazel Grove Celtic - there's an old name from the past but can't remember what league they were in. I started with Burton Joyce in the Spartan before moving up to Bestwood Colliery, Boots Athletic and finishing with Gedling Colliery all in the Alliance.


    Can't place the prefabs in Gedling - are they still there? I know the ones in Bulwell and Bilborough are.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Hazel Grove Celtic - there's an old name from the past but can't remember what league they were in. I started with Burton Joyce in the Spartan before moving up to Bestwood Colliery, Boots Athletic and finishing with Gedling Colliery all in the Alliance.


    Can't place the prefabs in Gedling - are they still there? I know the ones in Bulwell and Bilborough are.
    Gedling Colliery was always a good ground to play at (as were most of the pit sides) I ended up playing for Lloyds Bank who played on the pitches in the middle of Colwick Racecourse before a cruciate ligament injury ended my playing at 27.

    The prefabs were on Emerys Road Gedling, they are still there but have been rebuilt in brick.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    Gedling Colliery was always a good ground to play at (as were most of the pit sides) I ended up playing for Lloyds Bank who played on the pitches in the middle of Colwick Racecourse before a cruciate ligament injury ended my playing at 27.

    The prefabs were on Emerys Road Gedling, they are still there but have been rebuilt in brick.
    Of course - Emery's Road off Stoke Lane. An old Burton Joycer called Marilyn Forshaw went to live in one of those prefabs. Exceedingly well made buildings. My first girlfriend was born in one in Bilborough on Wigman Road but a house not a bungalow on the corner of Bracebridge Drive. What a bloody small world ref footballing. I finished at 27 as well with ankle ligaments being stretched by kicking a frozen Plains Road pitch before contact with the ball against Bulwell Forest Villa in a qualifying round of the old Amateur cup.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5,675
    Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Have we got anybody here brought up in The Meadows? Often said to be the reason our support was decimated when it was knocked down and re-built but I'm not sure how true that is. Fword were more local than Notts in that area for a significant period of growing the roots of a support base, so I would guess it was more evenly split in the Meadows than assumed.

    I was born on Peel Street close to the city center, I think there was somebody here who lived on Meadow Lane (or their Grandparents/parents did).
    Muskham Street near Portland Baths in the Medders. Used to see both Notts and Forest supporters. I was taken to both
    but eventually, aged about 7, stuck with Notts in 1952. You have to remember the size of the crowds in those days at Notts.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Doubt it, I come from Eastwood and Moorgreen coal mining stock, I doubt my lot mixed with the farmers! I am familiar with Eel Hole Farm however, because there is a coach firm which operates from there who I have been using for 25 years to hire my Cheltenham bus.

    I also think the HS2 line is routed to run straight through the middle of the farm!

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Have we got anybody here brought up in The Meadows? Often said to be the reason our support was decimated when it was knocked down and re-built but I'm not sure how true that is. Fword were more local than Notts in that area for a significant period of growing the roots of a support base, so I would guess it was more evenly split in the Meadows than assumed.

    I was born on Peel Street close to the city center, I think there was somebody here who lived on Meadow Lane (or their Grandparents/parents did).
    I may be wrong but either Laddo or an old poster -Jack the lad - lived in the Medders. John Mountenay was born in the Medders and it was his grandma who lived in one of the old terraced houses at the side of the main gate on Meadow Lane next to where Jimmy and Jack's statue is now situated. Obviously John can't verify this but Daphne still attends all home games and would confirm this fact if you know her.

    Both Notts and Forest fans lived in the old Meadows and would be an even split I would guess. We gradually lost support as we declined and Cloughie's Reds took over.
    Last edited by seriouspie; 02-03-2020 at 02:50 PM.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Seeing as you're interested, I was born in the bedroom of a council semi situated just before the bakery on the B600 in Watnall.

    I've never thought of it in terms of pride or shame, it's just where I was born. I must like the area though, because the four houses I've lived in since have all been within a few miles of there.
    Was that the Sunblest bakery on the F4 route? Hovis or something else now.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •