+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Gentleman Magpie

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Have we got anybody here brought up in The Meadows? Often said to be the reason our support was decimated when it was knocked down and re-built but I'm not sure how true that is. Fword were more local than Notts in that area for a significant period of growing the roots of a support base, so I would guess it was more evenly split in the Meadows than assumed.

I was born on Peel Street close to the city center, I think there was somebody here who lived on Meadow Lane (or their Grandparents/parents did).
    I was from Bathley Street opposite the Rec, and the pavilion, we left before I was old enough to watch matches . Apparently my dad took some persuading, as all he had to do was to cross London Road, and onto Meadow Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Was that the Sunblest bakery on the F4 route? Hovis or something else now.
    That's the one. It was called Blanchards when I was a kid and became famous for Wonderloaf. It's now owned by Hovis as you say. It's close to the old airfield at Huknall, which is near Eel Hole Farm on the other side of the road. In the second world war a German POW escaped from a camp at Swanwick and was caught trying to steal a Hurricane at the airfield. It was made into a film called "The one that got away".

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    That's the one. It was called Blanchards when I was a kid and became famous for Wonderloaf. It's now owned by Hovis as you say. It's close to the old airfield at Huknall, which is near Eel Hole Farm on the other side of the road. In the second world war a German POW escaped from a camp at Swanwick and was caught trying to steal a Hurricane at the airfield. It was made into a film called "The one that got away".
    I'm not sure I recall the name Blanchards. The F4 was one of my routes on the school run from Hucknall to Nottm and it was the young (but older than me) bakery girls who egged me on to learn to light their fags. I was on 10/week by the time I left school, 20/day by the time I finished Uni, and 30/day once working. There were better things they could have taught me!! Midland General single deckers landing at Broad Marsh Nottm then the 41/43 trolley bus to Trent Bridge and of course coinciding with the start of my support for Notts (in the season they were to drop into the 4th division). Must have passed by your house loads of times though I had other routes that took me through Bulwell, Bulwell Forest or one of the railways.

Nearly 30yrs though since I last touched a cigarette.

You must have got some good views of the air displays with the Lightning doing a vertical climb and the roar of the Vulcan.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    Yes, I noticed that one when I was researching earlier. They were originally called Small Heath and their nickname was the "Heathens". I don't think I'll put up the card in question, but I wonder why he's depicted carrying a cut-throat razor?
    A reference to the razor gangs of Birmingham?
    All the cards here-

https://readtheleague.com/the-big-fe...te-cards-1920s

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Used to love that cafe!
    the owner was tall and thin has a rake with slick backed brill creamed hair, his missus was a plump little women with always something in her mouth. Probably about the only place you could get a kebab in the seventies.

I'm not sure I recall the name Blanchards.
    My grandad worked there. They used to have a staff shop around the back where employees were allowed a discount. It was a weekly treat for me as a kid. I've found a quote from the Ripley & Heanor News about the bakery from July 20th 1956:

"Mount Street Ladies’ Class went on their annual outing on Monday. They journeyed to Watnall for an extensive tour of Blanchard’s Bakery, seeing the upto-date method of bread-baking and manufacture. An afternoon tea was also served".

You must have got some good views of the air displays with the Lightning doing a vertical climb and the roar of the Vulcan.
    Bloody hell, that brings back some long-forgotten memories! We probably lived no more than a mile and a bit from the airfield as the crow flies, and when the show was on it was a real treat. We never actually went there (I was one of five kids so probably too expensive), but we had a flat roof at the back of the house and were allowed to sit up there to see the show. My mum provided sandwiches, pop and crisps and we watched in awe as the planes flew at low level directly above us. I don't recall the Lightning, but the Red Arrows were regularly there and the sight of the Vulcan overhead was something to behold. I still remember the huge wingspan and the deafening noise, it made the house shake. It probably wouldn't be allowed these days due to health and safety concerns!

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    the owner was tall and thin has a rake with slick backed brill creamed hair, his missus was a plump little women with always something in her mouth. Probably about the only place you could get a kebab in the seventies.
    I used to go in there with my Dad. Good memories

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    One side of my family hails from Watnall Chaworth. Eel Hole Farm to be precise. I wonder if we're related EP
    Did you all perform the conger at family gatherings ?

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Have we got anybody here brought up in The Meadows? Often said to be the reason our support was decimated when it was knocked down and re-built but I'm not sure how true that is. Fword were more local than Notts in that area for a significant period of growing the roots of a support base, so I would guess it was more evenly split in the Meadows than assumed.

I was born on Peel Street close to the city center, I think there was somebody here who lived on Meadow Lane (or their Grandparents/parents did).
    Is it my family you're thinking of UTM? My grandparents lived at no. 9 Meadow Lane. My Dad plus quite a few of his siblings were born and brought up there. When his Mum was widowed in the 1940s, money was really tight and she washed the Notts kit to bring in some extra cash. My aunties lived there until the housed were demolished. Despite being so close to the ground, my dad was the only Pie out of 11 surviving siblings.

I don't get on much these days but put me down as another "Medders Lad" Atlas Terr Kirkewhite St followed my grandfather and father from 1954 onwards but before that played on Kirkewhite St as the thousands(and i mean thousands) passed on the way to ground.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast