+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ardley: cup v playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    For me, Ardley will always be the bloke who was in charge for most of the season when we were relegated from the FL. Whatever we do in the trophy, I would send him on his way if we don’t get promoted. I don’t think he’d get us promoted next season either. If he has a style of football it’s rubbish, and he has too many favourites who are played however they perform.

This club has a poor record in seasons following failed playoff campaigns, and a change of gaffer might help us recover.

This^^^

We wimped out of the league on Ardley's watch, only fair he redeems himself by getting us promoted. Unfortunately I really can't see that happening either this season or any other while he's at the helm. Let's hope I'm wrong.

I have to say I have had mixed emotions throughout this seasons. At times I have been absolutely peprlexed and frustrated at the lack of cohesion and inability to break teams down that set up to spoil our possession based game. It is at times like this that a good manager will have a plan B and if the finger of blame is to be pointed at NA for anything then maybe this is it. On the flip side we have also enjoyed some great team play at times and some spectacular goals to boot and if anything I think we have missed that killer instinct to see teams off. Is NA to blame for that or the players, or maybe a combination of both?

Like others have said, any more than one more season in this league and we might be in it for the long haul so I would quite happily lose to Harrogate in the semi finals of the Trophy if it was to guarantee promotion via the play off's. That said, football can be nothing if unpredictable and I still see no reason why we can't win both, even with NA at the helm.

I like NA, I think he has a good footballing head and together with the owners has made some shrewd signings for a non league club. I just wish he displayed a bit more passion as if he's up for the fight, but I just don't think that is in his external DNA and it is just my own personal feeling about him.

I'm hoping above hope that assuming we make the play offs, the senior, more experienced pro's such as Doyle, Rawlinson and Turner etc will have enough pride, battle and influence about them to do everything they can within and around the squad to make up for that bit of drive and fighting spirit that on the face of it NA appears to be lacking.

I too find the pessimism so disappointing tbh. We are well in the mix to make the play offs and I fully expect us to do so now we have Turner returning and Jim O firing on all cylinders. The depth of the squad will improve over the next few weeks and i fully expect us to finish the season in good form and at least one trip to Wembley.

Of course we didn't have a traditional normal pre season, it was a complete rushes mess due to how late the club's sale was. We were weeks and weeks behind everyone else probably more. Clubs who get relegated to this level who aren't sold and have a messed up pre season rarely win the league , so we had little chance IMO.

I'm sticking with my thoughts all season, like many never thought we would go up this season but there is no excuse not to reach the play offs. If he fails to do that I'd sack him. If we finish in playoffs regardless of the FA Trophy I'd keep him in charge till Xmas next season and see where we are at.

Ardley's overall league record after 60 league games in charge

Pld:60 W:19 D:19 L:22 F:76 A:79 GD:-3 pts:76
    Average PPG: 1.27

Home League Games Record
    Pld:31 W:11 D:13 L:7 F:41 A:31 GD:+10 pts:46
    Average PPG: 1.48

Away League Games Record
    Pld:29 W:8 D:6 L:15 F:35 A:48 GD:-13 pts:30
    Average PPG: 1.03

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Ardley's overall league record after 60 league games in charge

Pld:60 W:19 D:19 L:22 F:76 A:79 GD:-3 pts:76
    Average PPG: 1.27
    Those stats sum up pretty well why I'm not an Ardley fan. I'm fully aware of all the background problems he's faced, the rushed pre-season and all the other mitigating factors. The bottom line is that I don't think he's gained enough points, both this season and last, when you consider the squads he's had to choose from compared to other clubs at the same level.

It’s an interesting question. I think if we were to finish the season in the playoffs and win the FA Trophy but not get promoted then Neal Ardley would have earned to the chance to give it another go next season. The reason being is that we should know how much we have fallen short and where our weaknesses were this season. As such to have a fully stable and complete pre-season would allow us to get those final pieces of the jigsaw.

Im unsure at this point in time whether throwing the baby out with the bath water would be the best thing?

It’s difficult to judge because we are still two months away from knowing where we are at.

Also it’s not always about getting rid of a manger that’s easy they just get sacked. What is more important is only do it if you are going to bring a better one in that is going to play a certain way. Where we have failed many times in the past is we have changed managers, but then they have either been worse, or have brought a completely opposite style of play with them so then we have to go through a squad purge to get the players they need to play to their style.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Those stats sum up pretty well why I'm not an Ardley fan. I'm fully aware of all the background problems he's faced, the rushed pre-season and all the other mitigating factors. The bottom line is that I don't think he's gained enough points, both this season and last, when you consider the squads he's had to choose from compared to other clubs at the same level.
    I agree with Elite - shyte

I think I see both sides. Certainly, there's something to be said for continuity amidst all the chaos, but NA has resources at his disposal that most non-league clubs can only dream of! That we are by no means certain of a top seven finish is pretty poor in context.

There is a lot of claptrap spouted about mid table being ok this season. Sure when we had half a team at the start of the season maybe that was ok. We dont have half a team now and havent for some time. We have the biggest squad and budget in the league and amazing resources for this level. Anything less than play offs will be a major disappointment and I expect top 3. If he doesnt get us up I would get rid. We need to get promoted back to the football league and I dont care how we do it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast