+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ardley: cup v playoffs

Ardley was only 20mins from keeping us in league 2,if he had he would have been considered a hero.He then had only days to assemble a squad, how many Notts fans would have thought that we would have been in with a shout of the double. I don't think, hand on heart, most will think this is a pretty good achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    There is a lot of claptrap spouted about mid table being ok this season. Sure when we had half a team at the start of the season maybe that was ok. We dont have half a team now and havent for some time. We have the biggest squad and budget in the league and amazing resources for this level. Anything less than play offs will be a major disappointment and I expect top 3. If he doesnt get us up I would get rid. We need to get promoted back to the football league and I dont care how we do it.
    Couldn't agree more, and there were two definite expectation stages this season. Stage 1 was when we faced administration and even extinction, and a mid table finish in the National League was acceptable to say the least. Stage 2 was where we appear to have got lucky with new owners who financed a squad that would be the envy of almost any club at this level. We are in a position to use that squad to maximum effect, but I don't think we have the manager to make it happen.

I have a feeling the Owners will be satisfied with a play off place this season, and expect/demand promotion next season. I'd be very surprised if he was sacked if we do indeed make the playoffs, and fail to get promoted.

If we don’t get promoted this season, there’ll be only one acceptable finish to next season and that’ll be the title.

Only one club coming down, almost certainly Stevenage, the last season of any parachute payments, and hopefully continued settled ownership mean we would have to go up, preferably as champions.

Would anyone have much confidence that Ardley could achieve that?

If you said to me Notts fail to get promoted this season , in whatever fashion but we get promoted via the playoffs next season. I would snap your hands off. Who wouldn't?

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    If you said to me Notts fail to get promoted this season , in whatever fashion but we get promoted via the playoffs next season. I would snap your hands off. Who wouldn't?
    Can I keep one , preferably my left !
    Last edited by navypie; 05-03-2020 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    If we don’t get promoted this season, there’ll be only one acceptable finish to next season and that’ll be the title.

Only one club coming down, almost certainly Stevenage, the last season of any parachute payments, and hopefully continued settled ownership mean we would have to go up, preferably as champions.

Would anyone have much confidence that Ardley could achieve that?
    Yes I think I can subscribe to that objective. If we were to fall short this season then we would need to recruit a few players who would improve us to be title winners. We could then hit the ground running from game one in August as a stronger side because many players will have already played together for a season to Neal Ardley’s style by then.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Yes I think I can subscribe to that objective. If we were to fall short this season then we would need to recruit a few players who would improve us to be title winners. We could then hit the ground running from game one in August as a stronger side because many players will have already played together for a season to Neal Ardley’s style by then.
    He has a style? All I see is a defensive attitude in most games and playing his favourites regardless of performance. Get rid for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Couldn't agree more, and there were two definite expectation stages this season. Stage 1 was when we faced administration and even extinction, and a mid table finish in the National League was acceptable to say the least. Stage 2 was where we appear to have got lucky with new owners who financed a squad that would be the envy of almost any club at this level. We are in a position to use that squad to maximum effect, but I don't think we have the manager to make it happen.
    I'm in shock, you agree with me! In all honesty I've been a big supporter of Ardley for reasons of stability but around before christmas when had that dodgy spell I had enough. Its down to him now there are no excuses and he needs to achieve. End of. If we miss out on promotion and retain him there will need to be some very very good reasons why.

If we fail to make the play-offs "Deadwood" Ardley has to be run out of Tombstone, immediately, the same day. We can then get a sheriff in who knows what he's doing. Even though it's past High Noon and too late to do anything he can watch our cowboys in action, see who is tumbleweed is who wears a white hat. If we do make it into the play-off rodeo it's the Last Chance Saloon for our hero and not even John Wayne can help him in his Gunfight at The Meadow Lane Corral.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123