+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and football.

It's hugely ridiculous IMO. Less cases of Corona (the disease, not the pop/beer) than flu worldwide, less deaths (%-wise) worldwide. As of yesterday lunchtime 51 known instances of Corona in the UK, 12 of whom have already been declared to have fully recovered.

I am flying in tomorrow (Thursday) morning for the Cup tie and WILL be travelling. I have a clear conscience on that. No cases in my vicinity, none in the Shifnal area where I am staying. None in Derby. There wouldn't be this amount of fuss if it was a flu epidemic so why cos it's a flu like illness with a different name?

Quite likely nobody at the game from the DCFC Italian branch of the supporters club though.......

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    It's hugely ridiculous IMO. Less cases of Corona (the disease, not the pop/beer) than flu worldwide, less deaths (%-wise) worldwide. As of yesterday lunchtime 51 known instances of Corona in the UK, 12 of whom have already been declared to have fully recovered.

I am flying in tomorrow (Thursday) morning for the Cup tie and WILL be travelling. I have a clear conscience on that. No cases in my vicinity, none in the Shifnal area where I am staying. None in Derby. There wouldn't be this amount of fuss if it was a flu epidemic so why cos it's a flu like illness with a different name?

Quite likely nobody at the game from the DCFC Italian branch of the supporters club though.......
    Inclined to agree with much of that ‘Amster...but, on the other side of the coin, according to WHO, although an embryonic virus, Covid-19 is ‘about ten times deadlier’ than flu and how do you know the plane that will be bringing or returning you hasn’t recently flown to Pisa, Milan or Rome and that you won’t be transporting the virus from Derbyshire/the East Midlands, where there are a few cases, back to the Shifnal area?

For what it’s worth, in your situation I’d behave exactly as you are. I have a visit to London planned for the beginning of next week and hopefully a flight to the U.S. later in the month. At the moment I intend to go ahead with both, but the authorities - no political point being made here - and the media do seem to be giving out mixed messages which doesn’t help.

Be nice to be told the truth rather than just reminded to wash rather than shake our hands. Enjoy your trip.

If the government really is worried about the virus spreading.
    Then normal travel isn't the concern.
    Travelling visably where it can be observed who has symtoms is one thing.
    But how many have travelled through Europe in cognito, to end up in placed like London from the back of a lorry?
    It is openly estimated at 200 a day, so it'll be way more.
    These are people that have travelled through your hotspots and their destination is usually London if they can.
    With 9 million people condensed into such a small area. How long do you think before a highly infectious contagion spreads like wild fire?
    So Mad, don't feel any guilt, your travel is nothing.

No guilt here Tricky. Not expecting a win either. Their only hope of silverware this season so they won't be putting out their U23s. Play the ressies and we will beat them ) but [cafe] au lait the gunner won't. a mixture of 1st and 2nd teamers (possibility) and we have a chance. He plays his first team and they would beat us 9 times out of ten....

Looking forward to 3 days of fun and frolics with friends old and new plus it's the first time Mrs Mad has been to a game for a couple of years as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    No guilt here Tricky. Not expecting a win either. Their only hope of silverware this season so they won't be putting out their U23s. Play the ressies and we will beat them ) but [cafe] au lait the gunner won't. a mixture of 1st and 2nd teamers (possibility) and we have a chance. He plays his first team and they would beat us 9 times out of ten....

Looking forward to 3 days of fun and frolics with friends old and new plus it's the first time Mrs Mad has been to a game for a couple of years as well.
    It's really what cup games are now day Maddy

No one really takes them serious anymore. More a distraction and a good day out.
    Still, good luck any way, as I detest the Mancs.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Inclined to agree with much of that ‘Amster...but, on the other side of the coin, according to WHO, although an embryonic virus, Covid-19 is ‘about ten times deadlier’ than flu and how do you know the plane that will be bringing or returning you hasn’t recently flown to Pisa, Milan or Rome and that you won’t be transporting the virus from Derbyshire/the East Midlands, where there are a few cases, back to the Shifnal area?

For what it’s worth, in your situation I’d behave exactly as you are. I have a visit to London planned for the beginning of next week and hopefully a flight to the U.S. later in the month. At the moment I intend to go ahead with both, but the authorities - no political point being made here - and the media do seem to be giving out mixed messages which doesn’t help.

Be nice to be told the truth rather than just reminded to wash rather than shake our hands. Enjoy your trip.
    Didn't know Pete Townshend was an epidemiologist?

Fancy a beer on your trip?

Only you could try and make political capital out of a worldwide health scare, Tricky...but, poverty apart, I’d be interested to know how those who travel ‘incognito’ are more likely to carry the virus than the many thousands who arrive daily and constantly via the potential hotbeds of planes, trains and airports. Still, you make it ‘political’ and blame it all on refugees if it helps you feel better.

Would love to, GP, and we really must do one of these days, but I fear I’m tied up with itineraries and she who must - occasionally - be obeyed on this occasion.

You wash your hands after all those ‘frolics’, ‘Amster.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Only you could try and make political capital out of a worldwide health scare.........
    Says the person who tried to link the Brexit referendum to the government advice on washing hands!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Says the person who tried to link the Brexit referendum to the government advice on washing hands!
    I too wash my hands of the UK government

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post

Lol...fair point! Although I’d argue that was more observational than political. No more the ‘Brexit’ referendum than any other. Just seemed a huge contradiction to empower people - all people not just Brexiteers - with such responsibility in December and then apparently have to ‘teach’ them something so utterly basic a few weeks later.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 04-03-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)