+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mark O'Brien

Mark O'Brien

Newport County's Mark O'Brien has been forced to retire at the age of 27 because he needs "heart surgery which will prevent him from carrying on with his playing career".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53053970

This takes me back to the period when I was a regular visitor to Moor Farm. Twice a year with groups of UEFA B students for a week's practical experience and 3 or 4 times a year planning the next trip and discussing football with the coaching staff.

One trip was just after Mark had signed. There was a junior game in which he played. He had half a dozen family members over and I spent much of the game watching with and talking with his family. At the end of the game, Mark came over to chat to the family, I turned to give them privacy and was introduced to him and I was part of the family natter. Grand lad and a great prospect whose career unfortunately took a different direction when his heart problem was discovered. I've followed his career from a distance and it hasn't been the one I thought he would have when I first saw him.

He has had some luck in that he got this far, albeit not at the sharp end of the game where he was expected to be, but that seems now to have run out.

All the best, Mark, in whatever you go on to do with the rest of your life.

Yes best of luck to the chap

Fingers crossed his surgery goes well. All the best for the future for the lad, I am sure there will be a role for him in the game after he comes through this dark period.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)