+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrow Head to Head

Barrow Head to Head

That Tony Hateley and Les Bradd scored on our last visit to Holker Street tells you just how long it's been since we last played there (50 years ago in December).
    Overall, our record against them is rather poor but we have won our last two at their place. Curiously there's never been a draw between the two clubs on Barrow's patch.

*Pts and Av. PPG figures based on 3 pts per win (including games played before August 1981)

LEAGUE GAMES ONLY RECORD
    Pld:11 W:4 D:1 L:6 F:17 A:20 GD:-3 pts:13
    Average PPG: 1.18

Away League Games Record
    Pld:5 W:2 D:0 L:3 F:7 A:9 GD:-2 pts:6
    Average att: 4352
    Average PPG: 1.20

Current sequences (Home and away)
    Without a draw in the last 4 meetings

Current away sequences
    Won the last 2
    Without a draw in all 5 meetings

Attendances.
    Despite their magnificent season so far, they're only averaging 1,937. Their record crowd this season is 3,267 v Fylde on Boxing Day, they were close to topping that v Bromley in January so I would think there's a very good chance they'll see their highest gate of the season against us on Saturday.

As 5th tier away games go, this is probably our biggest one yet. moreso than Chesterfield because they were/are doing so badly and it was at a daft KO time through TV.

Because they are 'out of sight' this is no more important than any other game. It's not like a victory for Notts means more pressure for Barrow. They are virtually home and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Because they are 'out of sight' this is no more important than any other game. It's not like a victory for Notts means more pressure for Barrow. They are virtually home and dry.
    No, they are not, Harrogate are currently in better form than them and closing on them fast. Barrow will now be feeling under pressure, so will be interesting to see how they cope with that.

Surely that should be, 'Barrow, wheel to wheel'.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Surely that should be, 'Barrow, wheel to wheel'.
    I thought the wheel fell off?

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    I thought the wheel fell off?
    Ours or Barrows?

On second thoughts don't answer that, I think I can work it out for myself.

Discussing past efforts against Barrow is my 50+ year old memory of attending an FA cup game at the Lane against them in the early 1970s, playing badly and losing 2-0, correct? if so we are long due for revenge!! even though it's the league not the cup

If anyone has a spare five minutes, the Athletic story on Barrow is well worth a read. I never realised that when they were voted out of the league in the early 70s (the days before automatic promotion and relegation), they finished third from bottom that season. Hard not to bear a long-standing grudge and think it was discrimination on geographical grounds. The fact that Southport and Workington followed them a few years later makes you think someone at the Football League really hated the northwest (which is odd, as its offices were/are at Lytham St Annes and Preston).

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    If anyone has a spare five minutes, the Athletic story on Barrow is well worth a read. I never realised that when they were voted out of the league in the early 70s (the days before automatic promotion and relegation), they finished third from bottom that season. Hard not to bear a long-standing grudge and think it was discrimination on geographical grounds. The fact that Southport and Workington followed them a few years later makes you think someone at the Football League really hated the northwest (which is odd, as its offices were/are at Lytham St Annes and Preston).
    there's a video version here;-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjJkv2ZsiJ4

Quote Originally Posted by Biker9999 View Post
    Discussing past efforts against Barrow is my 50+ year old memory of attending an FA cup game at the Lane against them in the early 1970s, playing badly and losing 2-0, correct? if so we are long due for revenge!! even though it's the league not the cup
    1958 was the last of 2 FA Cup meetings

Sat 15/Nov/1958 FAC R1 Meadow Lane L 1-2 11,030 (PB Bircumshaw for Notts)

Tommy Lawton scored in the first one ten years earlier, won 3-2 in front of 36,710.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast