+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survey Request

Survey Request

My name is Alex Weeks and I am a third year student studying sociology at the University of Roehampton. I am writing a thesis on racism at football grounds and whether enough is being done to combat it. I have created this short survey in order to gather data on the issue. It should take approximately 5-10 minutes. This survey is completely anonymous and you can withdraw at any time. The purpose of this consent form is to make you aware of your rights within this research. I would be extremely grateful if you were able to complete it. Thank you.

https://alexanderweeks1234.survey.fm...otball-grounds

Done. I wish you well.

Dunnit.

not doing it.....why ?....because its a no-brainer - theres always a few knobs, a few small-minded insignificants - anyway, why give it the air time - it's just feeding them, and falling for this microscopic pack-mentality is equally as dumb as they imo - so I'll concentrate on the many many more who know better.

I think there's those more deserved of your time and examination - Alex.

Last edited by Norder; 04-03-2020 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

not doing it.....why ?....because its a no-brainer - theres always a few knobs, a few small-minded insignificants - anyway, why give it the air time - it's just feeding them, and falling for this microscopic pack-mentality is equally as dumb as they imo - so I'll concentrate on the many many more who know better.

I think there's those more deserved of your time and examination - Alex.

The last time I witnessed real time racism was at Gillingham when a couple of the local morons started doing monkey chants every time Wrighty got the ball.

We were in the Gills hospitality box suited and booted so these two morons didn't realise we were Burnley fans. They did when one of our contingent leant over two stalls and cracked the first nut job over the bonce with an empty wine bottle.

Reaction? Rapturous applause from those around and "blind eye syndrome" from the yellow jackets. Perhaps that's the answer?

In response to your rather acquiescent approach Norder, I find the abuse the likes of Sterling get just for being black is pretty bloody awful. More wine bottles perhaps?

Done, although I think that racism is a social problem, even as far as its occurrence at football matches. It will not go away!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

I find the abuse the likes of Sterling get just for being black is pretty bloody awful. More wine bottles perhaps?
    I'm not convinced Sterling receives much abuse for being black, most of the abuse that used to be directed at him was for missing numerous chances for England and nothing to do with his skin colour. Since he now scores regularly for England, the abuse he used to receive in an England shirt has largely dissipated.

There is something else in play with the Sterling racial abuse and it was illustrated on the Sky Sunday morning discussion programme, Henry Winter said Sterling received the abuse simply because he was a succesful, rich, black kid and a lot of people couldn't cope with that. One of the other journos pointed out that Marcus Rashford was also a succesful, rich, black kid, but he didn't receive the abuse that Sterling did. Winter didn't respond.

Done. Good luck Alex.

So let me get this straight sinkov? Sterling really gets dog's abuse just because he is a snotty, horrible, little shoite and him being black has now't to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    So let me get this straight sinkov? Sterling really gets dog's abuse just because he is a snotty, horrible, little shoite and him being black has now't to do with it?
    I think you're confusing what I said, with what Winter said BT. Just to make it clearer, I don't think the dog's abuse Sterling got in an England shirt was in essence racist, whilst there were no doubt some racist morons joining in, imo most of the abuse was directed at him by England fans because he was a £50 million player who couldn't do his job for England, which was basically to put the ball into the onion bag, and England were losing games because of him. I can't be bothered to check the exact figures, but his goal scoring record in his first 40 or so games for England was abysmal, he was making the likes of Joelinton and Benteke seem prolific. And thus many fans got on his case because they perceived he was letting the national team down. In the last couple of years he has started to knock the chances in regularly and the abuse has abated, but he's still black, which might indicate that most of the abuse was caused by a lack of goals rather than the colour of his skin.

But he wasn't the first, David Beckham was also perceived to have let England down and he received dog's abuse on every PL ground he played on for well over a year. The abuse Beckham received was more prolonged and persistent than anything Sterling received, but Beckham was/is white, you don't have to be a black player for England fans to get on your case, and if it is indeed because he's black, then as mentioned previously why hasn't Rashford received anything like it from England fans ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)