+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Should Austin even make the bench?

Should Austin even make the bench?

In my opinion, no! He looks completely off the pace and contributes very little. I would honestly put Zohore in front of him and that's says it all.

This just highlights that no matter which club you are the year on year recruitment of players is perhaps the most important aspect of the club’s activities.

Since Dan Ashworth left I have been critical of the recruitment which I think has so often let us down, both at player and manager levels.
    We spent money on both Zohore and Austin and neither look good enough to me to be worthy of a regular start in the team. Given we are presently in the Championship that doesn’t say a lot. HRK has looked ahead of them both for most of the season, and whilst I think he works hard and gives of his best I just can’t see him getting in any PL side at the moment, so why should he be in ours next season, assuming we go up.

As to your specific question I think CA is more of a poacher type striker whereas Zohore has more physical presence. As an impact player off the bench it is a tricky decision and therefore don’t have a great view to be honest.

One positive about the recruitment this season is I must give credit to the signings of Ajayi, Pereira, Krov, Robinson, Grosicki, Diangana and Sawyers so it ain’t all bad news this year.

Austin looks like a has been to me. Yes he can score but all the hard work has to be done for him and he has to be set up.

Tough one, Zohore for me ran his guts out when he came on the other night and made the last few minutes very uncomfortable for Newcastle. But Austin can always produce goals out of nothing like he did at Birmingham and won us the game we looked out of. What i will say is that Zohore is more suited to our style of play, but i would have both of them on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    This just highlights that no matter which club you are the year on year recruitment of players is perhaps the most important aspect of the club’s activities.

Since Dan Ashworth left I have been critical of the recruitment which I think has so often let us down, both at player and manager levels.
    We spent money on both Zohore and Austin and neither look good enough to me to be worthy of a regular start in the team. Given we are presently in the Championship that doesn’t say a lot. HRK has looked ahead of them both for most of the season, and whilst I think he works hard and gives of his best I just can’t see him getting in any PL side at the moment, so why should he be in ours next season, assuming we go up.

As to your specific question I think CA is more of a poacher type striker whereas Zohore has more physical presence. As an impact player off the bench it is a tricky decision and therefore don’t have a great view to be honest.

One positive about the recruitment this season is I must give credit to the signings of Ajayi, Pereira, Krov, Robinson, Grosicki, Diangana and Sawyers so it ain’t all bad news this year.
    Why is it when ever we spend 'big' from David Mills to Deehan to Ideye to Chadli to Burke to Zohore we always get it badly wrong (plus our 'big' loan signings Anelka, Sturridge) and yet when it comes to bargains we get so many right eg, Gera, Olsson, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Koren etc all bought within a couple of seasons for less than a million.

Credit where credits due the recruitment team have got a lot more right (Ajayi, Sawyers, Robinson, Krovinovic, Periera, Diangana) than they have wrong. Agreed?

Yes, our greatest ever players cost nothing or very little. Robson, Bomber, Cantello, Barlow, Robertson, Bennett, Statham, Hartford, Lovett, all cost nothing, Cunningham, Regis, Astle, Odemwingie cost us very little. You can see the policy the club adopts, we have worked wonders with very little over the years, and most of our big money ( for us) buys have been rubbish. But we need someone who can spot untapped talent to take us forward.

HRK has been a great signing for a free, Bilic loves him and that is the opinion of an international class manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    In my opinion, no! He looks completely off the pace and contributes very little. I would honestly put Zohore in front of him and that's says it all.
    No

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Austin looks like a has been to me. Yes he can score but all the hard work has to be done for him and he has to be set up.
    That's how it is with strikers, they get all the plaudits but the the skill is in the creating of goal chances.

I imagine this weekend Austin and Zahore will be on the bench at best.
    Grosicki although looking alert and threatening hasn't actually done anything yet.
    I'm sure all 3 will still get their chance before the end of the season but none will be starting anytime soon.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)