+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stevenage

Stevenage

Bottom of the league.... but when has that ever mattered? We're second but surely I'm not the only one who has noticed how we've been made to fight for our points in the last couple of months. You could say that, generally, we've been a lot less impressive in the 2nd half of the season OR as a club 'up there', we've brought the best out of clubs determined to do us down.
    Generally the quality of football has deteriorated. Is this because teams have got wise to us and now know how to stop us playing? Is it because, after displaying high levels of fitness/stamina early season, the team are feeling tired and jaded?
    Or could it be that, being a very wet winter, the pitches have militated against our state of play? Then again, maybe we're just going through our annual mid-season dip and things will pick up again in the last ten games?
    Of course, it could be all, some or none of these. Who knows? Whatever, as I mentioned in another thread, it's a relatively hard run in and we have to take full advantage of every opportunity. Also as there are 5 teams in close competition for three automatic places, goal difference becomes very important.
    So, with all due respect to Stevenage, we have not only to beat the bottom club but beat them well. It is early January since we had a comfortable win so now is about time. Nevertheless, I'm going for a 2-1 win.

I agree with some of your above comments , I feel teams have worked out our style of play and try to counter it.Usually we are fighting a relegation battle or mid table so there was a different kind of pressure on the players for a shorter time. This season the whole squad has jelled and we pushing for promotion and it will go down to the last game. Most of our players are young and tasting their first success in football and being in the media spotlight. If they want a successful career in football it is down to them to get us promoted and then a few will move onto bigger clubs next season.Even the big premiership clubs have a dip in form but as long as we bounce back to winning ways all will be well. We must not take Stevenage for granted but be professional and score as many goals as we can and this will send a message to all teams around us..

Just to expand on your point about the team gelling - it is interesting that we didn't have much of a turnover of players in the club over the closed season and hence they've kicked on together. Just shows how important it is to keep a team together.

Well that was a welcome three points, it was a shame that we conceded late on. Now we just have to do the same at Mansfield. Hopefully we can navigate the next four games and results continue to go our way with both Exeter and Swindon losing today.

Swindon in their remaining 10 games have the easiest run in . Plymouth have a harder run in and have to play Exeter and Northampton and I feel they will only win 5 of their remaining games .

I wouldn't rule Cheltenham out either. They will be on 67 if they win their game in hand. They are also in excellent form.

We will have to play better than that to finish in our current position. It was incredibly slow and boring. Yes we won easily and are top but it would be nice in the run-in to see us playing the kind of football witnessed in the first half of the season.
    The best bit of the game was Charlie's goal. Not necessarily for the finish or even Pixie's work but for Wintle taking charge of the ball just outside his own box and driving the ball forward and therefore pushing the team into a more aggressive position.
    We sadly lack creativity in midfield at the moment and so the sooner Lowery is fit, the better.

Yes, Lowery for Ainley for me from Saturday's starting line up. Just don't tell Lukcour or Mike!!