+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mad stat for the day

Mad stat for the day

Notts have never lost by more than one goal to S[unthorpe United, Southport or Hereford in the league.
    Every other club who's played more than 8 league fixtures against us has beaten us by at least 2 goals at some stage.

*This thread is dedicated to Navy (who loves his stats).

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Notts have never lost by more than one goal to S[unthorpe United, Southport or Hereford in the league.
    Every other club who's played more than 8 league fixtures against us has beaten us by at least 2 goals at some stage.

*This thread is dedicated to Navy (who loves his stats).
    Cheers for that, I will sleep a lot better tonight.

In competitive matches Notts have NEVER won 6-1 or 7-0 away from home, league or cup.
    Every other possible scoreline involving 7 goals - we've done it on the road, we've also won 7-1 away, 8-1, 9-1, even 11-1, but never 6-1.
    Maybe tomorrow night will be the night.

At home, we've had every possible combination of 7 goals in a game (or less). With 8 goals, the only home result we've never had is lose 0-8.

For 9 goals in a game, home and away, we've never lost 0-9 or won 6-3.

Which team do we have the best average goals per match against in the league?

Currently, we're averaging 5 a game against Chorley, but seeing that we've only played them once I'll set the parameters to clubs we've played at least 10 league fixtures against and that the opposition still exists and are in the top 5 tiers.

The top 5 are.....

1. Newport County - 2.27 goals per game
    2. Crewe Alex. - 1.86
    3. Colchester Utd - 1.83
    4. Norwich City - 1.82
    5. Exeter City - 1.80

So Norwich are the surprise club there, but of the three league games I can remember seeing against them, we scored twice in two of them (and Warnock launched a cushion onto the pitch).

"Can we play you every week!"

Teams we have the best points per game ratio against*

*Must have played at least 10 league games against us and currently reside in the top 5 tiers.
    Games won before 1981/82 are also awarded 3 points for a meaningful comparison.

1. S****horpe United - 2.15 PPG
    2. Crawley Town - 1.93
    3. Lincoln City - 1.80
    4. Aldershot - 1.78
    5. Plymouth Argyle - 1.76
    6. Halifax - 1.75
    7. Barnet - 1.74
    8. Torquay United - 1.72
    9= Cheltenham Town - 1.71
    9= Stevenage - 1.71
    9= Coventry City - 1.71
    9= Carlisle United - 1.71

It's 131 years since our first Football League campaign, yet a whole bunch of records set that season still stand.

Fewest wins in a league season: 5 (equaled since but not broken)
    Highest average conceded per game: 3.32
    Highest average Home conceded per game: 2.91
    Highest average Away conceded per game: 3.73
    Fewest draws in a league season: 2 (equaled since but not broken)
    Fewest Away draws in a league season: 0
    Record defeat: 1-9 v Aston Villa (equaled since but not broken)
    Record home defeat: 0-7 v Preston

It's 131 years since our first Football League campaign, yet a whole bunch of records set that season still stand.

Fewest wins in a league season: 5 (equaled since but not broken)
    Highest average conceded per game: 3.32
    Highest average Home conceded per game: 2.91
    Highest average Away conceded per game: 3.73
    Fewest draws in a league season: 2 (equaled since but not broken)
    Fewest Away draws in a league season: 0
    Record defeat: 1-9 v Aston Villa (equaled since but not broken)
    Record home defeat: 0-7 v Preston
    Lets be right, we started the way we meant to carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Lets be right, we started the way we meant to carry on!
    Only a 22 game season, which would explain some of those but averaging almost 4 goals against away is pretty wild.
    Oddest thing about that season is that we twice played a home FA Cup tie on the same day as a home league fixture, the reserves playing the cup ties (and winning them).

Here's a couple of eyebrow raising stats....

HOME league games only, Craig Short has the 2nd highest win percentage of any Notts manager since the war (67%, Cotterill is top with 90%).
    In the PPG table (HOME results only), Howard Kendall is above Sam Allardyce, Martin Allen and John Barnwell.

Only a 22 game season, which would explain some of those but averaging almost 4 goals against away is pretty wild.
    Oddest thing about that season is that we twice played a home FA Cup tie on the same day as a home league fixture, the reserves playing the cup ties (and winning them).

Here's a couple of eyebrow raising stats....

HOME league games only, Craig Short has the 2nd highest win percentage of any Notts manager since the war (67%, Cotterill is top with 90%).
    In the PPG table (HOME results only), Howard Kendall is above Sam Allardyce, Martin Allen and John Barnwell.
    Interesting for sure. I seem to remember Curle having a great run away from home one season but home results were nothing to shout about. That said one more point at home that season and we would have made the play-off's and I reckon would have got promoted as we were pretty much the form team in the league at that time.

The thing I'm learning with stats is they can tell a story but don't necessarily tell the whole story and can be made to look however you want them to look. I love messing about with data so I enjoy stats related stuff but the thing with football is it is such an emotive sport and those emotions play a massive part in performance on and off the field. That is why football remains the best sport in the world . . . IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Interesting for sure. I seem to remember Curle having a great run away from home one season but home results were nothing to shout about. That said one more point at home that season and we would have made the play-off's and I reckon would have got promoted as we were pretty much the form team in the league at that time.

The thing I'm learning with stats is they can tell a story but don't necessarily tell the whole story and can be made to look however you want them to look. I love messing about with data so I enjoy stats related stuff but the thing with football is it is such an emotive sport and those emotions play a massive part in performance on and off the field. That is why football remains the best sport in the world . . . IMHO.

I'm just in the process of creating an all-time Manager's stats page based on the database that I've now completed (results and match by match league position wise all the way back to the first competitive game with Sheffield in the FA Cup in November 1877).
    Adding in the start-end dates for the away grounds makes for interesting reading to see where we've played (for example, three different homes of Manchester United and four visits to Anfield in the league to play Everton).

As for Curle, of the managers who have overseen at least 10 games on the road, he comes out on top of all the various AWAY tables (ppg, win percent, average goals, average conceded and goal difference). At home however, Curle is quite a way down the list, on PPG he's below Eddie Lowe (who older fans will remember as a complete disaster) and on a home goal difference of +5 he's below Kiwomya! Jimmy Sirrel, incidentally, in his first spell in charge (1969-75) had a goal difference of +117 at home and +102 overall (more than double the next best, Arthur Stollery in the Lawton era).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast