+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Rant because I care

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Did anyone really expect us to formally tie up the title with 10 games to go or something ridiculous like that? Doesn't happen.
    based on form before Christmas and the points dropped from challengers could we not have had this well wrapped up had we not started playing ****e and kept winning?

I didn't expect our results to be maintained, I didn't expect the performances to fall away so badly for so long either though, though I expect us to go up, I haven't taken promotion for granted yet, 7 -8 poor performances isn't a blip, we are barely creating chances in our matches, and show no signs of changing that. Not sure why being 17pts clear or other teams being poor deems the football we are playing/results as acceptable, wee Jum would be going mental, had during this run one of our rivals gone on a winning run would that have changed the acceptance of these performances? No they are pish regardless. I am not advocating punting the manager, don't think many are, but these recent performances have brought back the chore of recent seasons of attending on a Saturday.

I guess it's like loyalty points. Years ago I would try to get to as many games as possible home and away, and the football was dire for a long spell then from around 200s to Levein/Houston era. Probably because all the previous years of watching Utd had built up a lot of loyalty points. But the past few seasons performances have totally scunnered me. Will always get my season ticket and still attend a decent chunk of away games. Bought into the new season, and after a decent start had built up some loyalty points again, but they have been used up again with the recent performances. Like the classic football fan, it doesn't take much to be invested again, I want to be invested again, some little signs of hope on the park. Having been disillusioned with the way we had been playing, I couldn't face going to alloa, thought I will just watch on TV, right choice it turns out. Didn't plan on attending many if any away games, then after Inverness I was back on board, went through to Dunfermline, and after about 25 mins regretted it.

Regards next season, if we do go up, teams that do well generally have a way of playing, settled team, winning mentality, bit of a bounce, they are the sum of their parts. We don't have that at present. If we are going to scrap the majority of this team then we are reliant on heavy investment or getting our recruitment bang on, or both, which is not too different to when teams go down and have to try and quickly rebuild a side in one window to try and get back up, which rarely works out.

At end of day, we all want the same thing, to get Utd back to where they should be, and obsess stupidly about it. Feck sake Utd, sort it out for our sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post

Regards next season, if we do go up, teams that do well generally have a way of playing, settled team, winning mentality, bit of a bounce, they are the sum of their parts. We don't have that at present. If we are going to scrap the majority of this team then we are reliant on heavy investment or getting our recruitment bang on, or both, which is not too different to when teams go down and have to try and quickly rebuild a side in one window to try and get back up, which rarely works out.
    thats something i've not really thought about and its a great point, looking at the players just now none of them look happy, how does that effect us when we go up, the teams no settled and we've not been winning so the style and winning mentality is lacking massively. worrying times regardless of the lead we currently have at the top

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    thats something i've not really thought about and its a great point, looking at the players just now none of them look happy, how does that effect us when we go up, the teams no settled and we've not been winning so the style and winning mentality is lacking massively. worrying times regardless of the lead we currently have at the top
    The frustration Shankland was showing yesterday stuck out like a sore thumb but that was probably 50/50 between him having a 5hite game and the 5hite service he was getting.

Neilson is simply just a very average manager, and one who clearly over thinks things when he really should just put the best team on the park... not the highest earners or his favourites.

He is better than what we have had for the past few years and has certainly improved us but with out injuries to certain players he would have continued shoe-horning Pawlett in to the detriment of the team and imho we would be in amongst the pack right now.

He has a squad slightly stronger than anyone else in the league but with 1 exceptional player up front who for a long period of the season was scoring about 8 out of every 10 chances he was getting. We cant use having Shankland against him as of course he would have been a big part of the reason he signed or maybe he would have signed someone else who would score the goals.

Neilson reminds me a bit of Levein in that he completely turned us round but then for some reason refused to take the shackles off and started holding us back.... maybe someone else could now take us forward again!?

I am not at the stage of wanting rid of him, not because I don't think we could get better but more out of fear of getting someone worse again like the last few. He does deserve credit, and should be allowed to take us up (which he will) but IMHO without Shankland or someone good enough to fill his boots RN will be struggling to hold on to his job by Christmas and blknd faith from us will keep him in there until its too late.

Thank goodness there is no team (yet) putting a challenge in.

3 wins out of 8 do we need?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jam View Post
    Thank goodness there is no team (yet) putting a challenge in.

3 wins out of 8 do we need?
    We have one win from our last seven. Let's hope the rest of the league keep making a **** of it to help get us over the line.

Quote Originally Posted by the_arab View Post
    Neilson is simply just a very average manager, and one who clearly over thinks things when he really should just put the best team on the park... not the highest earners or his favourites.

He is better than what we have had for the past few years and has certainly improved us but with out injuries to certain players he would have continued shoe-horning Pawlett in to the detriment of the team and imho we would be in amongst the pack right now.

He has a squad slightly stronger than anyone else in the league but with 1 exceptional player up front who for a long period of the season was scoring about 8 out of every 10 chances he was getting. We cant use having Shankland against him as of course he would have been a big part of the reason he signed or maybe he would have signed someone else who would score the goals.

Neilson reminds me a bit of Levein in that he completely turned us round but then for some reason refused to take the shackles off and started holding us back.... maybe someone else could now take us forward again!?

I am not at the stage of wanting rid of him, not because I don't think we could get better but more out of fear of getting someone worse again like the last few. He does deserve credit, and should be allowed to take us up (which he will) but IMHO without Shankland or someone good enough to fill his boots RN will be struggling to hold on to his job by Christmas and blknd faith from us will keep him in there until its too late.
    great post IMO

I wish people would stop referring to our team as s***e! As we all know, s***e floats to the top. On second thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Expectation of fans are weird to say the least. Robbie is effectively doing what you suggest (from necessity due to injuries mostly) but he's getting it tight from a section of the support, you included. Did anyone really expect us to formally tie up the title with 10 games to go or something ridiculous like that? Doesn't happen.
    My problem with Robbie is putting certain players in when they not been worth a place if he didn't and maybe went for it from start in some these games we could maybe have had league done and dusted about now with way rest teams dropping points each week. Not saying that for definite but should have been going for it in my opinion

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)