+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Rant because I care

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    based on form before Christmas and the points dropped from challengers could we not have had this well wrapped up had we not started playing ****e and kept winning?
    Possibly (I haven't done the arithmetic) but my point is the run we were on was incredible and, in a long league season, unsustainable.

was it unsustainable though? everyone else is sh1te too

Winning every single match? Yes, I'd say so, have your ever seen such a thing?

17 points clear with 8 games to play. I should be high as a kite. Instead I feel more like the Reverend I M Jolly. Think it's because current performances don't augur well for next season and I'm worried about what that might mean. Don't want to end up coming straight back down again and the thought of that is taking the shine off winning this league by stumbling over the mathematical finishing line.Plenty of work to be done over the summer for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post

The context of this discussion though isn't about winning every game. It is happening because we have won only 1 of our last 9 games. We shouldn't paper over the cracks. It is legitimate to look at what is going wrong - tactics, personnel etc if we are to have any hope of not dropping straight back down next season.

I have faith in the current board who have given serious backing to bolster the squad this season. Without Shankland's signing and goals I suspect we would be in a bit of a dogfight and this is where Robbie has been lucky. But even now with Shankland the tactics on the pitch is isolating him when it is clear what was working early on in the season. I fear he will get more frustrated and we will end up just wanting to move on at end of the season.

I'm not suggesting we dump Robbie, I have tried to forgive him for the fist pump at end of extra time against 10 man St Mirren. Its not going to happen so no mileage in speculating but we seriously need to strengthen for the Premiership.

I don't think the tactics are different compared to the winning run. What's different is two things, personnel and form.

I really can't understand folk stressing about being relegated next season when this one isn't even finished yet. There is so much water to go under the bridge before we get there...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...les_(football)

A couple of observations. It's not that common is it and even they didn't win every match.

Seeing as you've brought it up though, my daughter's football team (Dryburgh Athletic U17) won their league as invincibles last season.

I really can't understand folk stressing about being relegated next season when this one isn't even finished yet. There is so much water to go under the bridge before we get there...
    I do agree with this to an extent... or at least where people believe we need wholesale changes when truth is different players would excel at different levels. For example whilst I am one of Pawletts biggest critics on here I do think he would be better up a level where we can hit teams on the break and he can drive with the ball (assuming he could get confidence back as well). He really struggles at the moment with a lack of confidence and defences sitting deep and is pretty much ran out the park when he does manage to run with it as hes making runs from the opposition edge of box instead of the middle of the pitch.

Where there is concern for me next season is with the manager and the way he handles personnel for the starting 11. He clearly has players he wants to play regardless of form or the way the opposition will play and that for me is worrying.... ie can you imagine Connolly at Park Head, he would be a red card waiting to happen and RN would play him even though he may have calmer options.

A couple of observations. It's not that common is it and even they didn't win every match.

Seeing as you've brought it up though, my daughter's football team (Dryburgh Athletic U17) won their league as invincibles last season.
    I know, it was a bit tongue in cheek, and I actually agree that it was always likely we would have some form of dip somewhere.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)