+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Jimmy Greaves Story.

The Jimmy Greaves Story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRjs7AX3GXk

I have mentioned the great footballing genius a few times and not many younger fans will not even know his name but if any football fan from whatever club they support wants to spend an hour or indeed waste one depending on your pov then go and see this man in action and how he dealt with the ups and downs of life and you may be interested in seeing the terrible state of the football pitches back then, even international matches and many fans say how quick the game is nowadays compared with the old days but even seeing this video may just change your mind. He talks about the maximum wage of about 20 pounds a week and going to Inter.Milan for 6000 pounds PER year....How the times have changed hey! He made me laugh when on match days his old manager at Chelsea used to be playing golf..LOL and you may just catch a glance of Frank Blunstone ex Alex player and then Chelsea scoring a goal for England...
    Last edited by MikeSB; 08-03-2020 at 06:16 PM.

What a player , way above today's so called stars

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdad View Post
    What a player , way above today's so called stars
    Aye and I forgot that when we beat Chelsea away in the FA Cup 3rd Round in Jan 1961 that Greaves was in the Chelsea team as well as Frank Blunstone who actually scored their goal. It was a great day out that day that live in our memories obviously. I was interviewed on the BBC as we arrived at Euston Station just before the match as whether we would beat them and I said yes of course we will.... I wonder if BBC have still got that footage?

https://www.11v11.com/matches/chelse...y-1961-211557/

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    Aye and I forgot that when we beat Chelsea away in the FA Cup 3rd Round in Jan 1961 that Greaves was in the Chelsea team as well as Frank Blunstone who actually scored their goal. It was a great day out that day that live in our memories obviously. I was interviewed on the BBC as we arrived at Euston Station just before the match as whether we would beat them and I said yes of course we will.... I wonder if BBC have still got that footage?

https://www.11v11.com/matches/chelse...y-1961-211557/
    Shame that link doesn't even bother to name our scorers, never mind our team list!

Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post
    Shame that link doesn't even bother to name our scorers, never mind our team list!
    Yes, I thought that too. There is a team sheet for that match out there somewhere as i have seen it. I recall it was Jimmy Stark who scored one of our goals and can't remember who scored the other.

In those far off days the FA Cup was considered to be the pinnacle of football and managers put out their very best team and why those players were in the Chelsea team and when we played Spurs at home when we drew 2-2 with 20,000 on the ground, they had their best team out too with almost every player an International. Nowadays the PL don't play their best team until they reach the semi's etc. Just to add that there were 32,000 at Stamford Bridge that day and Greaves finished the season on 44 goals and us beating them was one of their low points and so JG was transferred to Spurs at the end of that season and stayed 10 years.

Can anyone find the team sheet for that game?

The Jimmy Greaves story

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    Yes, I thought that too. There is a team sheet for that match out there somewhere as i have seen it. I recall it was Jimmy Stark who scored one of our goals and can't remember who scored the other.

In those far off days the FA Cup was considered to be the pinnacle of football and managers put out their very best team and why those players were in the Chelsea team and when we played Spurs at home when we drew 2-2 with 20,000 on the ground, they had their best team out too with almost every player an International. Nowadays the PL don't play their best team until they reach the semi's etc. Just to add that there were 32,000 at Stamford Bridge that day and Greaves finished the season on 44 goals and us beating them was one of their low points and so JG was transferred to Spurs at the end of that season and stayed 10 years.

Can anyone find the team sheet for that game?
    I have the London Evening Standard with the front page headline - Crewe put Chelsea out of the cup - and also the match programme which I will sort out and post team details.

Chelsea v Crewe Alex 7th January 1961

Quote Originally Posted by SemperContendo View Post
    I have the London Evening Standard with the front page headline - Crewe put Chelsea out of the cup - and also the match programme which I will sort out and post team details.
    Teams - Bonetti, P. Sillett, Harris, Venables, Evans, Anderton, Brabrook, Greaves, Tindall, Tambling, Blunstone
    Alex - Williamson, (must have replaced Ferguson who is listed in programme team sheet) Campbell, McGill (must have replaced Tansey who is listed in programme team sheet), Shepherd, Barnes, Keery, Jones, Wheatley, Foster, Tighe, Stark

Snippets from the Evening Standard report which is headline story. First ever meeting of the 2 teams. Sub heading Williamson is the hero. Crewe grabbed shock lead after only 5 mins of play. Bonetti could only push out centre forward Foster's centre and outside right Stark crashed the ball in. Chelsea stormed back only for Blunstone to miss an open goal. Chelsea beginning to dominate with right wing pair of Brabrook and Greaves always menacing. McGill kicked Brabrook shot off line and Williamson made two splendid saves from Tindall. Crewe shocked Chelsea with a second goal on 26 mins with Wheatley heading in Stark's cross. Crewe playing cultured football but Blunstone raced through Crewe defence and scored on 31 mins. Stark ran through Chelsea defence but hit shot over bar and Williamson made a great flying save from Brabrook. HT 1-2 Chelsea come out strong but series of saves by Williamson keep us in game including one from Greaves described as a sitter 4 yards out but hit his shot straight at Williamson. Longer game went on Crewe defenders were forcing Chelsea to long range shots giving Williamson little problem. 2 more great saves by Williamson leads to him being described as undoubtedly the hero of his side.
    No crowd figure given but 4th div league table in paper - Crewe 6th. W 11 D 7 L 8 GF 39 GA 37
    Also if interested the 13 - 2 Spurs cup game. Film did exist on internet which I viewed a few years ago still probably still there WWW.britishpathe.com/record. Played 28th January 1961 and yes I have a programme from that game. (I collect big game Crewe programmes - some might say the smallest collection in the world!!)

Thanks for that SC...

Brings back fond memories for me certainly and some of those players remained living in Crewe area when they retired. Eric Barnes, Stan Keery, Alan Foster and of course Frank Blunstone who was in that Chelsea team and have played golf a few times with the latter two. Both very highly competitive and still are. Both still playing as far as I know.