+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Tykes Retro Thread

Official Tykes Retro Thread

Well it might be some time before we have anything to discuss and debate , the team may not take to the field for months and this horrible virus is rather worrying .

We need summat to talk about and help clear the gloom .

Fire away chaps , let's have your memories following the club , anything you want really on all things in the past given the present and the future's just come to a halt .

5 year old (1959) & being lifted over the turnstile by my dad to see my 1st evening match under floodlights - truly magical!
    Trev Aylott scoring against Man City
    Beating Rotherham (with a scratch team) to get promoted with them
    Clint Marcelle’s goal - I still ruar when I think of it & wish my dad had seen it! (He always said They dunt want it!)

The moment Marcelle scored the second against Bradford in 1997 is impossible to top. However, unless stating the obvious, there's been some great retro moments and a fair few of em over the years.

Redfearns header on the opening day of the premiership season against west ham- iconic moment in reds history. Time seemed to stand still for a brief moment. It was a glorious sunny day, the ground was a sea of red and white, anticipation at fever pitch, the atmosphere was blinding. 8 minutes in and the ground literally exploded as redders header hit the net. Proper retro moment.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    The moment Marcelle scored the second against Bradford in 1997 is impossible to top. However, unless stating the obvious, there's been some great retro moments and a fair few of em over the years.

Redfearns header on the opening day of the premiership season against west ham- iconic moment in reds history. Time seemed to stand still for a brief moment. It was a glorious sunny day, the ground was a sea of red and white, anticipation at fever pitch, the atmosphere was blinding. 8 minutes in and the ground literally exploded as redders header hit the net. Proper retro moment.
    What a great day that was Pass , I could hardly believe it when Clint clinched it .

The match its self was absolutely horrible to watch , the tension in the second half when Bradford started to get on top was monumental .

We all forget because of the occasion I guess just how fortunate we were in that second half , how Sundgot missed that open net to level the game up I will never know to this day .

We were literally hanging by a thread in the second half .

When Clint scored it was actually too much to take in for me , I just stood and watched everyone go mental .

The lads in my circle back then , well we went back years , watched us in the fourth division when we were at school .

That day we were all together to see us finally make the top flight .

As time went on from the fourth division days and you grow up and people move on to a certain extent but that day we were all together before and after the game .

I'd have liked us all to have walked up Wembley Way together 3 years later but alas it wasn't to be .

So many fantastic memories like the ones posted, the Bradford game, old and new Wembley And the millennium stadium! But Anfield on that foggy night will always stick out for me, out singing the Kop then getting a brick in my face afterwards!
    Derek Bell scoring against Grimsby, Macca’s header against Shrewsbury on a sunny Oakwell day 1st game after promotion, Winning at Swillsboro and Glynn Riley’s celebration, beating Man Utd and Chelski at Oakwell.
    Never would I have dreamt of seeing Alan Clarke, Norman Hunter and Jan Molby in a Barnsley shirt!!! I could go on and on but the one memory that tops them all was the joy of watching Ronnie Glavin whenever he played, the right man at the right time at the right club, whenever I think of him and what he managed for Barnsley FC just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

The old grim days of the old fourth division did have a few shining lights amongst them in the 70's .

It's the football I cut my reds teeth on .

Mickey Butler was a slight but silver quick goal scorer , he missed at least half of his seasons with us recovering from broken legs as a result of hairy @ssed fourth division defenders kicking him but still manage 20 goals .

Bobby Doyle was a terrific midfield player , creative as well as hard as nails .

Ali Millar was the supreme enigma , a wand of a left foot with so much skill and talent , when he was on it he was unplayable .

Little Anton Outalowski was a hell of a player , ran and ran but could play a fair bit too .

Special mention in dispatches around that period for Mick Pickering who went to the first division from us and Southampton and the exciting attacking left back Martin Gorry who went to Newcastle who were also in the first division at that time .

seeing one of the best goals ever in any league Darren Barnard a
    volley against Huddersfield

Quote Originally Posted by redsarebest View Post
    seeing one of the best goals ever in any league Darren Barnard a
    volley against Huddersfield
    Best goal ever scored at Oakwell in my opinion and we've all seen a few .

Such a pure strike of a football , a thing of absolute beauty .

I take the the point at 5-0 up you can take those on but you still have to execute it .

Never bettered in my opinion .

I've shown the lads at work it who are all followers of PL football and of a younger age on YouTube .

Wow , feckin hell , gobsmacked .

Says it all .

By far the best goal I’ve ever seen from a reds player bar none!

Quote Originally Posted by perkytyke View Post
    By far the best goal I’ve ever seen from a reds player bar none!
    The ball has traveled from Nicky Eaden on our right and he's just put one in there .

Ain't a clue where it's going because at 5-0 up it doesn't really matter .

It's traveled 30 to 40 yards in the air .

Barnard's thinks it's on and at 5-0 anybody would.

However the technique is the thing , it's a pure strike , once in lifetime and it comes off .

The Town keeper never moves and Barnard is 25 yards away and In the least dangerous place it's possible to be as offensive threat .

I'd have swapped that goal for a successful penalty right on half time in the 2000 Play Off Final mind you .

The course of history would have changed in my opinion of this club as a result .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast