+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best scenarios for this Season?

The best scenarios for this Season?

Looking through some of the comments from the world of sport, it is increasingly likely no more football will be played this season....yikes, are things that bad, well not at the moment but they will be. The prospect of starting up again on 4th April is foolhardy. By this point we are still supposed to be weeks away from the 'Peak' of the outbreak and months away from it just going away!
    No, it looks like a long summer of Nil sport of any kind, the goverment will this week ban mass gatherings so, forget taking your mind off it by going to a concert let alone glastenbury.
    So whats going to happen, well the favourite at the minute with the premier league and Sky, taking it Sky could lose 3 billion, is to abandon the season with no teams being relegated due to high level court cases for breach of rules and loss of revenue etc.
    Liverpool will be deemed Champions by default and not allowed to celebrate through the streets of the city.
    No clubs will be relegated.
    The premier league for next season will be increased by 2 clubs to 22.
    WBA and Leeds will be promoted.
    The start of next season will be delayed by well, who knows?
    Euros will be put back one year.
    No play off through the leagues with only the top two being promoted.

Yes, it could all he a bad dream and by the 4th April its all back to normal well, i think we all know by know it aint going to happen.
    So with the season being virtually over, will Sky hold back on paying out reward money so basically, Villa survive but recieve no royalties, what does that do for FFP?
    The decision to hold the World Cup mid winter will become A disaster, i can see that also being put back 1 year for obvious reasons.
    So there it is guys, we will survive but at a cost.
    Hopefully when it does kick off we will have that many games to play that I can see them scrappingall cup compitions next year as well.
    It's a Mess, well it will be but its only a game and we have to remember that: Lives are at risk and people will die.
    I hope you all stay safe and prep for a difficult period.
    Thoughts.....
    Last edited by TrianonDave; 14-03-2020 at 07:38 AM.

I think the PL will always do what is best for them economically which as you say Dave is likely include avoiding any costly court cases (in any case because of the nature of this thing the govt could put a stop to that behaviour). As this thing takes hold and people lose loved ones, the mood amongst fans will change to not giving a damn about football which will massively impact the whole model.

The unknown I guess is how the UK will peak as we're not following the same trajectory as other countries in terms of our response so that remains to be seen. With 10 games left to play that could be done in 5 weeks if the CL were to be cancelled to avoid fans travelling between countries - I'd say the Euros definitely won't go ahead for the same reason.

Bill Shankly once said " football is more important than life"
    Well I think if things pan out like 'They' are predicting, how foolish will that statement become!

Just play the season out when possible. If any season should be voided it's next season. If it's too late to start a new full season then play some sort of one off competition guaranteeing all clubs a certain amount of matches. The authorities have enough time to sort that out.

I do fear for the EFL clubs, which we may well be soon. I can see National league clubs going amateur.

If there's 22 teams next season then the extra matches will appease some of those who had season tickets cancelled this yeah, but some compensation will surely be needed to pay.

I agree that next season is the more likely to be cancelled tho. Makes sense as we have started 2019 - no reason it can't be the first ever 2 year season is there?!

Obviously I prefer the first idea as it means we aren't relegated. But less selfishly, the second thought is fairer... Just continue the season when we can and finish it when we can.

Because of contracts, its all going to get a bit messy and all the legal stuff will come in to force, so i believe!
    You could have a scenario where players who are on loan would have to leave legally leaving the club at a disadvantage, image our team last season without our Loanees?
    The season Has to be concluded by July 1st. With the current situation I cannot see it and all talk of players playing behind closed doors while the Virus is at its peak is both stupid and ignorant. Portsmouth have 4 players confirmed and tested positive.
    Maybe the best bet is to play the season out when we can when its safe?? And start the new season Jan 1st Jan 2021, that way we can finish that season in readiness for the world cup around October!! Once the world cup is over, A nice long Break and kick off the following season 1st August 2022 and all back to normal.

If they don't, then we have only one other choice, cancel the season!
    Thats brings into question; Stop as it stands, no relegation only promotion and of course, Give yes Give the Prem Title to Liverpool, they will be ribbed for years having Not fairly Won it out right!!!

I hope the season gets cancelled for obvious selfish reasons that will keep us in the league. However i think the logical way would be not to start the new season until this season finishes, even if it means starting the league in October and just play more midweek games. Maybe cancel the FA cup and League cup if necessary. It will be a legal nightmare if the season gets cancelled imo.

I agree Bongo and yes we must finish, if we go down so beit. We deserve to on the last 28 games.
    With whats happening around the world, i really feel like i dont care about football anymore!

The area i visit with work is the hardest hit city in the world, Bergamo. They are literrally bringing the dead out in trucks!

Football.......whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by TrianonDave View Post
    I agree Bongo and yes we must finish, if we go down so beit. We deserve to on the last 28 games.
    With whats happening around the world, i really feel like i dont care about football anymore!

The area i visit with work is the hardest hit city in the world, Bergamo. They are literrally bringing the dead out in trucks!

Football.......whatever!
    Spot on TD - football doesn't matter anymore and my heart breaks for Italy, I fear London is our Bergamo.

Totally agree folks.

Let’s hope that when the game returns, all of the sensationalism, social media hysteria and over the top fanaticism are put firmly into perspective.

We may, just may, get our game back.

Now for any of us to witness this possible scenario, or any scenario, we must plough all of our energies into:

Social isolation
    Social distancing
    Keeping an eye on the vulnerable
    Shop empathetically
    Wash our hands regularly

A few months of boredom hopefully won’t kill ya.

Stay safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)