+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tavern Corona Virus Free Lock-in

Tavern Corona Virus Free Lock-in

Hmm ... not exactly banging down the doors to get in, but hopefully someone will be along soon ...

So ... (talks to self hoping someone will hear and join in conversation) ... I hope all our lovely punters are doing well. I'm wondering about thoughts, funny stories, sad stories,heart warming stories on Corona. Feel free to chat about anything you want to and start new threads, games, etc if you have reached saturation point and want to distract yourself with something else ...

Gosh, wow, I never ever imagined I would see folks fighting over loo rolls! Seriously, quite distressing to see some pretty selfish behaviour reported eg a man who had stocked up on pasta refusing to give one of his many bags to an elderly lady who asked if he would let her have one of his as there were none left - even if I only had one bag of pasta, I'd have given it to the elderly lady - I wouldn't have been able to live with myself otherwise. My Mum said she was chatting to a nurse who said people were coming into the local hospital and ripping the hand sanitiser dispensers off the walls, and others were coming in and syphoning it off into bottles. Taking it from the people who are most vulnerable in society is awful.

On a funnier note, I did see a story about people going into the Tesco in West Brom to stock up on loo rolls. On finding the shelves bare, they decided to fill their trolleys with half price Easter eggs, causing a new mad scrambie for Easter eggs stockpiling, leading Tesco to have to ration them to 12 each! Easter eggs are the new loo rolls You do wonder whether people really want them or whether it's just the fear of missing out/herd mentality ...

So, do you think the government is under-reacting, over reacting, handing it well? Thoughts?

PS. Just re-reading this, and my wording is not great … Obviously Coronavirus not funny at all, I just mean the lighter daft stories surrounding the crisis, like my Easter eggs story. I was just hoping to create a bit of feel good coming together/ a place to share at a horrid time for us all and hope you will understand the sentiment. Winnie x

Oh. And I forgot to say, I'm actually in self-isolation myself at the moment. Just a cough and a high temperature, but otherwise not too bad

Day 2 of self isolation: I got bored and went out for a bit.

Still, it was better than day 1 - I ate my stockpiled chocolate and felt fat, so I drank all my protein shakes, and then I had to use the vast majority of my toilet roll cleaning up the sick.

Every hour or so I ring 111 just to make sure they are OK and teh operators aren't getting lonely.

I've watched every film made between October 1996 and May 1997. Not bad, but some of the jokes are a bit dated and there's a lot of objectifying the women in a few of them.

A highlight of my own isolation so far is I have come to discover that lego can still be done as an adult, and modern kits have brick shapes we could only have dreamt about as children.

Day 3 of isolation - realised it was still day 2. Ate another fun size Twix and went back to bed

I work in community pharmacy - the world has gone absolutely bonkers, people are unbelievably stupid enough to wait in a queue whilst showing symptoms having returned from Italy! Doctors closing their doors and telling folk to go to their pharmacy - there isn't capacity within the infrastructure for such a spike in demand.

Just read too that that f'er Branson has backed a 7.5bn aviation bailout, that's not financially backed of course - the money comes from the Treasury. To$$er.

Anyway I hope you're all staying calm and sensible in all the madness - I personally think Boris is spot on with the plan. There's also a brilliant clip I saw of an Italian aerobatics with their flag colours as vapour trails like the Red Arrows, with Nessun Dorma playing - it's rousing stuff.

Off to phone the old man now - he's 74 and will have something to say about all this, you know what they say, you can tell an Ulsterman but you can't tell him much

Well all the pubs over here were officially closed at half past midnight, this morning. I say ‘officially’ as there were 2 still open this morning as I went for a walk (Gym closed on Saturday). It’s been suggested that I go on countryside walks from now on (55yrs old, Heart disease etc) but fox that, I hate the countryside and the ‘carrot crunchers’ that live there.

So no, I’ll just sit in my front garden, dipping into my ‘panic bought’ hoard of Stella. I have enough for March, but I’ll continue to replenish the supply, just so as I’ll still have 2 weeks supply should the shops run out.

Stay safe and quenched folks

P.S. Oh, work closed down last week cos of the virus, so this explains my intended course of action. Would hate for y'all to think that I am a p1ssy-ar se.
    Last edited by Exiledvillan; 16-03-2020 at 08:29 AM.

Panic buying.... went shopping as you do, i mean you have got to eat and Aldi displayed a rather large notice ' Max 4 item each' obviously of the same product so why is it you still get people pushing past you like their late on boarding a plane and picking up, as in my case, a whole box (40) tinned tomatoes, now this guy did not look Italian and unless he owns a resturaunt, is a complete numpty. He was asked to put them back. Maybe if the news guys did not make a story of it, then they would not do it. Like children they always do the opposite!
    Dont panic buy........panic buy🤯

Unfortunately Dave you're right - unless control are put into place people often lack the foresight and common sense needed at times like these. Some talk of the spirit of the blitz and how that's no longer the case - if it were ever the case then rationing wouldn't have been necessary in post-war Britain? Some people are being kind to each other, others are just plain selfish - 'twas ever thus.

I briefly heard a story about young people checking up and making sure the elderly were looked after, there are people, good people with massive hearts out there and it made me feel like I should do something, after all, the elderly have already been through hardship during and after the 2nd WW so why again?
    Lets all do out bit....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)