+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Notts waiting on NL crisis meeting

Notts waiting on NL crisis meeting

Notts County are waiting for the the National League to decide whether their clash against Torquay United will go ahead tomorrow due to the coronavirus outbreak.

League chiefs are set to hold a crisis meeting today having come under growing pressure to join the Premier League and Football League by suspending the season until April.

Unlike the EPL and the EFL, the National League decided not to postpone fixtures at the weekend having heeded the government's advice that there was no rationale to close or cancel sporting events.

But it sparked strong criticism from Eastleigh manager Ben Strevens who blasted that decision was all to do with "money" after his team lost 4-0 at Notts this weekend.

That was one of six games in the National League's top flight which took place as several teams postponed games because staff were self-isolating as cases of Covid-19 continue to rise.

There is growing expectation that the government will ban all mass gatherings of more than 500 people but that has yet to be officially confirmed.

But it is understood that while the League is under pressure to halt the season, clubs have also raised serious concerns about the impact it would have on cash flow.

Today, the Sun reported how clubs in non-league faced financial ruin because insurance companies will not pay out if the competition is suspended because coronavirus is not a notifiable disease.

Dover chairman and National League board member Jim Parmenter said: “There are insurances, business interruption insurance and others.

"It’s a new disease, therefore it’s not prescribed in the insurance policies — therefore it is not covered.

“The problem with the coronavirus is it’s not what is described by the insurances companies as what’s called a ‘notifiable disease’.

“It’s a new disease, therefore it’s not prescribed in the insurance policies — therefore it is not covered. It's a really difficult situation.”

“You would hope that these people who are making these decisions about suspending football, know that. And I include the government in that.

“This is not a two-week problem.

"This is going to be a three-month problem and for non-league football at any level, apart from one or two big clubs with very rich overseas owners, it’s going to be almost impossible to sustain for non-league teams."

Notts say they waiting for the league to make their decision on tomorrow night's game at Torquay, but are planning as if the game will go ahead.

Training took place this morning and assistant boss Neil Cox said it was business as normal.

The team was not due to travel to Devon until tomorrow and are scheduled to stay overnight before returning on Wednesday.

Fans are also awaiting news on their FA Trophy semi-final first leg against Harrogate, which was due to be played this weekend.

Harrogate say that four of their staff are in self-isolation which forced their trip to Solihull Moors to be postponed on Friday night.

Notts chief executive Jason Turner told fans in a statement that he is in talks with both the FA and Harrogate as fans await to see whether the game will go ahead.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...tional-3955250
    Last edited by Oldstripy; 16-03-2020 at 03:19 PM.

I think we all know the outcome, postponed.

Problem is, we can't become too far out of step with League 2.

What happens if the NL complete and the FL decide to postpone and then resume in say October, where would that leave the promoted clubs?

My simple solution is extend iFollow to NL games (cameras are already there, just need to get 2,000ish per game average signed up at $10 per game with their credit cards....hardly too difficult in view of most telephone operators can work from home)....the NL season can play out the final 10 games or so behind closed doors and wait to see when Barrow and one other go up to division 4.

The NL will preserve it's income (might actually make a profit without having to pay match-day staff, stewards, policing etc)

Watched my last 4 or 5 Pakistani cricket matches on the tinternet without crowds being there (an odd experience) because the tv money is still rolling in and the franchise owners agreed to carry on and get the season finished.....semi finals tomorrow btw.

The season won't resume until September at the earliest. If it is to peak in June as been said,it will need a few months to make sure its under control

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    My simple solution is extend iFollow to NL games (cameras are already there, just need to get 2,000ish per game average signed up at $10 per game with their credit cards....hardly too difficult in view of most telephone operators can work from home)....the NL season can play out the final 10 games or so behind closed doors and wait to see when Barrow and one other go up to division 4.

The NL will preserve it's income (might actually make a profit without having to pay match-day staff, stewards, policing etc)

Watched my last 4 or 5 Pakistani cricket matches on the tinternet without crowds being there (an odd experience) because the tv money is still rolling in and the franchise owners agreed to carry on and get the season finished.....semi finals tomorrow btw.
    Easier said than done though, iFollow is it's own company and the Vanarama would have to make a deal with them from scratch AND be allowed to do so by whoever currently has the rights to show National League games/highlights/goals, BT or Quest, whoever it is. They won't let Notts put any goals on twitter before a set time so I doubt they'd want someone showing whole games unless they were compensated

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post

yep that's what I suggested a few days back, seem the simplest solution to me too.

Push euro 2020 until 2021.
    Carry on this season once situation ok. Probably late July. No midweek games.
    Euro2021 start in March spread out further that games aren't every day.
    New (2020)/2021 season starts beginning July. And spread out more.

Everything domestic related will probably hinge on what UEFA decide to do tomorrow (Tuesday) regards the Champions League. All of the top leagues will be under pressure to follow that lead in order to accommodate UEFA's plan and therefore all league's below will have to follow suit.

I'd be stunned if the Euros isn't cancelled for this summer. As it's not in one country they could theoretically play it over a longer period of time during what would normally be Nations League weekends throughout 20/21, but I expect it will be off until next summer.

I didnt think we would play Saturday and we did.

The smart money is the NL will cancel the games due to the pressure coming their way.

I hope we play the game though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast