+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Elite's onions!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Apart from visiting the racecourse regularly since 1970 I don't have any connection with Southwell. I think seriouspie said his mate has an allotment there.
    Sorry, I misunderstood the Elite's Onions opening post.

Name:  George_Lil_Dennis.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  87.5 KB

Hi Elite, when you have National League Onions, surely the ambition is to get to the Premier League?
    This is my Uncle George on the right with his - Blidworth 1970's

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    Hi Elite, when you have National League Onions, surely the ambition is to get to the Premier League?
    This is my Uncle George on the right with his - Blidworth 1970's
    That's a terrific picture, and I for one can recognise his sense of pride at what he's produced. If Uncle George had ventured a bit further south to Moorgreen Show back then, he would probably have been competing against my dad and his nine brothers. I've been amazed by some of the show vegetables that can be grown, but I'm nowhere near competition level. I do however think my onions have been promoted from National League to League 2 this time, so let's hope it's an omen!

Now this is the type of thread we've been missing!

At least this one makes people cry for the right reasons!

I'm sure you were all wondering, so I can proudly announce that my ambition to grow a 3lb onion has been achieved, and by some distance. This ugly looking thing weighs in at just over 3lb 11oz. It's grown into a kind of double onion, and came from a single seed the size of a grain of sugar from a 50p Wilko packet sown on New Year's day, as is the tradition. I've got a couple more still in the ground that might equal it, and plenty more that should make 2lbs. I put the success down to two things - firstly, having a greenhouse for the first time which encouraged growth when they were in pots in early spring, and secondly a home-made feed I read about on the internet consisting of woodash and urine. I have a plentiful supply of both, so I thought I'd give it a go. Reading back through this thread was interesting, it's a pity tarquin can't post a few pics of his harvest in Mexico.
    Impressive!

Mine are in the ground although I think I left it too late (again) as it will start warming up a lot in 2-3 weeks and its almost impossible to grow root vegetables here in spring. It's ok in Vic and Tas probably SA and southern WA due to the cooler climate and longer winters but our winter is basically 3 weeks and this year it was particuarly mild with almost no really cold days at all. I think the lowest max was 18 degrees. They certainly will not look like the excellent photo above. I have a large crop of stuff more suited to the QLD climate though, so when its fully blooming in a month or so I will take some action shots. I did have a snake cruising through the tomato patch the other day although it was only a Keelback so harmless ( non venomous). They live in a drain on the edge of my house and eat the cane toads that crawl in there to get in the damp and avoid the sun ( the only snake in Australia that will eat our local nemesis).

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I did have a snake cruising through the tomato patch the other day although it was only a Keelback so harmless ( non venomous). They live in a drain on the edge of my house and eat the cane toads that crawl in there to get in the damp and avoid the sun ( the only snake in Australia that will eat our local nemesis).
    The bit I've quoted reminds me of tarquin at his finest, it's just missing the Mexican bandits! I always thought that you lot in warmer climates could grow pretty much anything all year round, but obviously not. I would love to see some pics of what you can grow, I can imagine that our winter crops like leeks and brussel sprouts would quickly run to seed in those temperatures.

The bit I've quoted reminds me of tarquin at his finest, it's just missing the Mexican bandits! I always thought that you lot in warmer climates could grow pretty much anything all year round, but obviously not. I would love to see some pics of what you can grow, I can imagine that our winter crops like leeks and brussel sprouts would quickly run to seed in those temperatures.
    Fruits are generally easy, mandarins, lemons, limes, ( not apples). I am going to get bananas going this year when I work out where to put them. Root veg is pretty hard. I am also trying garlic this year. You are correct. The only root veg I have had any success with is carrots and beetroot and even they looked pretty lame to what my old dad used to pull out in the UK back in the day. I have also just planted a mango tree. Avocado is an abundance currently here but is literally the fussiest tree ever in terms of soil and I have killed 2 so far. I have just planted Mangos they will take a few years but are already flourishing. I wonder what happened to Tarquin? Probably the most interesting character on this board but could not control the Cerveza unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Impressive!
    I presume the plentiful supply of urine comes from your always taking it? Seriously though, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    I presume the plentiful supply of urine comes from your always taking it? Seriously though, well done.
    I can take it and produce it, though not necessarily at the same time.

Who said that men can't multi-task?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast