+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evo's now banging the drum

Evo's now banging the drum

Alarming figures spent by Peterborough if true.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52390528

I wonder if Evo would be saying that if Gillingham were in the top two?

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    I wonder if Evo would be saying that if Gillingham were in the top two?
    Mellow, I've already been there with that thought. The small jibe at the beginning where he says,'It would be unfortunate for those who were enjoying a good season', I thought may have been aimed in our direction.

I think Coventry are having an 'exceptional' season having only lost 3 games and not just a good season.

Sour grapes. The season will not be expunged. The EFL should grow a pair and tell the clubs what is going to happen rather than give license to Managers & Chairmen voting for what suits them. I read some guff about the Posh Chairman saying that those who don’t want to finish the season would be getting sued. How people can talk in those terms during this outbreak is contemptible.
    Those outside the top two have no case. It’s all well and good to say they have a good chance of going up but if they had tried a bit harder in the games they had played then they might have had a better case. All this bit about playing weaker teams or easier games doesn’t stack up. Some clubs will have difficulty raising a team which would skue results even more.
    It’s all well and good for the wind up merchant to want to abandon the season. The season is more than 75% finished and it will not be abandoned. Liverpool will win the league and there is the precedent.
    We are going up. When we get to play there though is another matter entirely.
    Also if you talk about teams who deserve to go up it’s us and Cov. Them for their incredible season save for being outclassed by us, and us for the excellent way Mr Stewart is running the business. Extra points should be awarded or handicaps put on clubs who exceed the budgets and put their clubs at risk.

It’s a sad state of affairs that we got relegated from the Championship (by a very thin margin) yet we were the only club that didn’t lose money.

By the end of this pandemic clubs who have built their house on sand will disappear. There will be some big changes.
    Last edited by Nardendee; 23-04-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    Sour grapes. The season will not be expunged. The EFL should grow a pair and tell the clubs what is going to happen rather than give license to Managers & Chairmen voting for what suits them. I read some guff about the Posh Chairman saying that those who don’t want to finish the season would be getting sued. How people can talk in those terms during this outbreak is contemptible.
    Those outside the top two have no case. It’s all well and good to say they have a good chance of going up but if they had tried a bit harder in the games they had played then they might have had a better case. All this bit about playing weaker teams or easier games doesn’t stack up. Some clubs will have difficulty raising a team which would skue results even more.
    It’s all well and good for the wind up merchant to want to abandon the season. The season is more than 75% finished and it will not be abandoned. Liverpool will win the league and there is the precedent.
    We are going up. When we get to play there though is another matter entirely.
    Also if you talk about teams who deserve to go up it’s us and Cov. Them for their incredible season save for being outclassed by us, and us for the excellent way Mr Stewart is running the business. Extra points should be awarded or handicaps put on clubs who exceed the budgets and put their clubs at risk.

It’s a sad state of affairs that we got relegated from the Championship (by a very thin margin) yet we were the only club that didn’t lose money.

By the end of this pandemic clubs who have built their house on sand will disappear. There wil be some big changes.
    Picking up from your last paragraph Nardendee, I think that could ultimately be a major problem regardless of how this season is eventually concluded.
    Just imagine that the authorities end the season as it currently stands and agree an acceptable formula to decide which clubs will be promoted and relegated throughout all levels of the football pyramid. Fine, thank goodness that's sorted, nothing to see here, let's move on.
    But the effects of the coronavirus are still being felt so football can not restart for the foreseeable future and debts are becoming unsustainable.
    Then a couple of clubs in League 1 go bust followed by four in League 2 and several in the National League. Football is now in disarray because there are gaps in divisions that need to be filled but the situation is still unravelling as some clubs in the Championship say they are struggling to survive and a Premier League club reveals its losses have exceeded £100 million.
    OK this is fiction but its not totally unbelievable in this crisis so where would football go then?

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Picking up from your last paragraph Nardendee, I think that could ultimately be a major problem regardless of how this season is eventually concluded.
    Just imagine that the authorities end the season as it currently stands and agree an acceptable formula to decide which clubs will be promoted and relegated throughout all levels of the football pyramid. Fine, thank goodness that's sorted, nothing to see here, let's move on.
    But the effects of the coronavirus are still being felt so football can not restart for the foreseeable future and debts are becoming unsustainable.
    Then a couple of clubs in League 1 go bust followed by four in League 2 and several in the National League. Football is now in disarray because there are gaps in divisions that need to be filled but the situation is still unravelling as some clubs in the Championship say they are struggling to survive and a Premier League club reveals its losses have exceeded £100 million.
    OK this is fiction but its not totally unbelievable in this crisis so where would football go then?
    Maybe back to being a business that has to support itself with direct paying customers? I know it's a generational thing but if the last 6 weeks have proved anything it is that I can survive without wall to wall TV coverage of football. Match of the Day and Goals on Sunday was good enough until the satellite and cable boys decided to try and show that it wasn't.

Air traffic controllers, pinching money 😎

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Maybe back to being a business that has to support itself with direct paying customers? I know it's a generational thing but if the last 6 weeks have proved anything it is that I can survive without wall to wall TV coverage of football. Match of the Day and Goals on Sunday was good enough until the satellite and cable boys decided to try and show that it wasn't.
    Yes, I'm with you on that CAM.
    I've quite enjoyed seeing some of the classic FA Cup games that the BBC have shown.
    You would hope that football will learn a salutary lesson from this crisis but I have a nagging doubt that it won't.

CA Miller. I am inclined to agree. Even at 62 footie is a large part of my life but this crisis is making me evaluate everything that I have previously considered as being important. It makes me think about the wonder of life itself and how unimportant sport is in the greater scheme of things. I am sure many others feel this way and I am sorry for bringing it down but I think that many things will never be the same again. Travel, particularly overseas will suffer long term damage resulting from this situation.
    Ps Mellowmiller. Totally agree and thank you for commenting on my response.

On a lighter note to my American Miller friends on this board. I put CNN on and I love that news program entitled “The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer”. What a great name. Is this popular stateside?

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    CA Miller. I am inclined to agree. Even at 62 footie is a large part of my life but this crisis is making me evaluate everything that I have previously considered as being important. It makes me think about the wonder of life itself and how unimportant sport is in the greater scheme of things. I am sure many others feel this way and I am sorry for bringing it down but I think that many things will never be the same again. Travel, particularly overseas will suffer long term damage resulting from this situation.
    Ps Mellowmiller. Totally agree and thank you for commenting on my response.

On a lighter note to my American Miller friends on this board. I put CNN on and I love that news program entitled “The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer”. What a great name. Is this popular stateside?
    I don't watch CNN but I have seen Wolf pop up on a few programmes and yes it is a great name, almost as good as the Randy Wa.nker I once met here

Back to televised football, it's no joke but I actually think there was more excitement 40+ years ago in watching the teleprinter for 10 minutes on a Saturday evening than there is in the majority of the games I've watched on TV involving teams that I don't have a vested interest in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast