+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 365 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Impressed with the leadership

I think we're generally seeing the same attitude people have towards terrorism, that this new enemy must not be allowed to affect our way of life, which is perfectly understandable, but people need to grasp that we're playing into Covid's hands by carrying on as normal. This is what it wants, people moving about and interacting everywhere so that it can spread and multiply more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I don't see why we shouldn't talk about politics, it is a very important topic after all.

As long as people avoid the usual name calling (long shot I know) I can't see the problem.

Banjo - you started this thread didn't you? If you can express your opinion about the quality of leadership, why shouldn't others?
    But they are not "discussing" politics, the same 3 or 4 people are using covid to score cheap political points (some of the stuff doing the rounds on Facebook is frankly disgusting).

Ask Elite, why he and 100,000? went to Cheltenham and why? (confined on a coach)....is it his fault? Is the fault of Boris? why did we get 4,000 at our last league game despite the Prem and EFL suspending....maybe that is Bo's fault as well?

Maybe those people took a calculated risk, using common sense and street-smarts, not wanting to be ruled by a nanny-state, when AT THE TIME it was viewed as not being too serious.....things changed quickly, not just in the UK, around the world......now Boris has acted, at the same time as most other countries.

Let's face it, whatever the Tories do, some will sit in isolation, dissecting his actions to try to pin political blame.....my apologies, carry on.....meanwhile I will post important info on gardening and cooking, which might, just might help others

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    But they are not "discussing" politics, the same 3 or 4 people are using covid to score cheap political points (some of the stuff doing the rounds on Facebook is frankly disgusting).

Ask Elite, why he and 100,000? went to Cheltenham and why? (confined on a coach)....is it his fault? Is the fault of Boris? why did we get 4,000 at our last league game despite the Prem and EFL suspending....maybe that is Bo's fault as well?

Maybe those people took a calculated risk, using common sense and street-smarts, not wanting to be ruled by a nanny-state, when AT THE TIME it was viewed as not being too serious.....things changed quickly, not just in the UK, around the world......now Boris has acted, at the same time as most other countries.

Let's face it, whatever the Tories do, some will sit in isolation, dissecting his actions to try to pin political blame.....my apologies, carry on.....meanwhile I will post important info on gardening and cooking, which might, just might help others
    Strictly speaking Cheltenham and football matches are Boris's responsibility. A lot of other European governements had stopped all sporting events by then. He made a conscious decision not to do that and I don't see why people shouldn't talk about that (praise it or criticise it) as they see fit.

Personally I wouldn't have gone to Cheltenham and I wouldn't have gone to watch Notts that weekend, but the government was telling people it was fine.

"Keep calm and wash your hands" was pretty much the official advice.

Yes Tarks I have to reply as you and I obviously still enjoy "doing a bit" so to speak and are not ashamed to say so. In my case it has been a lifelong hobby and apart from the fake 'blueys' I have had to take since I turned 70 ten years ago life is good on the this front although not frequent as it once was. Good to see you have a good partner and just to reassure you that your opinion is correct ... they are like good wine .. they get better as they mature!!!! Anyway must cease this conversation ...... otherwise I'll annoy/disgust some of the more holier than thou snowflakes on this board who have yet to experience real life.

More evidence of how impressed we should be with the leadership. This time from an actual science journal, the New England Journal of Medicine. To sum up, not very impressed at all.

If there are any big words that some of the dimmer reactionaries on here don’t understand, just ask.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...ry=main_nav_lg

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I don't see why we shouldn't talk about politics, it is a very important topic after all.

As long as people avoid the usual name calling (long shot I know) I can't see the problem.

Banjo - you started this thread didn't you? If you can express your opinion about the quality of leadership, why shouldn't others?
    Saying I was impressed with the leadership of Boris and Rishi during this crisis is not IMO a political view nor it is making a political statement also, by saying ‘time to put politics to bed’ was my way of saying lets stop bickering about politics and necessarily stop talking about politics. Hope that clears it up for you old chap.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    More evidence of how impressed we should be with the leadership. This time from an actual science journal, the New England Journal of Medicine. To sum up, not very impressed at all.

If there are any big words that some of the dimmer reactionaries on here don’t understand, just ask.

Or listen to Dr Jenny Harries - Deputy Chief Medical Officer on how the policies have been decided and evolved on Channel 4s documentary.

It is difficult to decide the best strategy to control this virus but it is way above my pay grade.

That's an excellent article, and demonstrates very well why an issue like this isn't / shouldn't be / can't be divorced from politics.
    I have zero idea of how someone could have watched this play out so far and thought there is good leadership involved; apart, of course, from those who view the entire world through "Get Brexit done" and think the answer to everything is Diane Abbott is rubbish. Having just moved over here, Varadkar was much quicker in making decisions to limit social interaction, and that's without there even being a government. Even then, it could be said they perhaps ought to have shut more things down more quickly.

A couple of friends at my old workplace have kept me up to date with the instructions they were being given from the executives, and it was laughable how long it waffled to what is still not a stop - for several days it included the lovely instruction that "if you share a house with someone who is having to isolate, you must still come to work". All these decisions were based on... The UK government advice.

One thing of particular interest is the mentions of the nudge unit. Not the first time I've read about them, and if it turns out that "following scientific advice" meant they were listening to behavioural insight on people getting frustrated by staying home for a while then... Well, do I need to spell out the failure in strength of leadership in that case???

Quote Originally Posted by pingu_pie View Post
    That's an excellent article, and demonstrates very well why an issue like this isn't / shouldn't be / can't be divorced from politics.
    I have zero idea of how someone could have watched this play out so far and thought there is good leadership involved; apart, of course, from those who view the entire world through "Get Brexit done" and think the answer to everything is Diane Abbott is rubbish. Having just moved over here, Varadkar was much quicker in making decisions to limit social interaction, and that's without there even being a government. Even then, it could be said they perhaps ought to have shut more things down more quickly.

A couple of friends at my old workplace have kept me up to date with the instructions they were being given from the executives, and it was laughable how long it waffled to what is still not a stop - for several days it included the lovely instruction that "if you share a house with someone who is having to isolate, you must still come to work". All these decisions were based on... The UK government advice.

One thing of particular interest is the mentions of the nudge unit. Not the first time I've read about them, and if it turns out that "following scientific advice" meant they were listening to behavioural insight on people getting frustrated by staying home for a while then... Well, do I need to spell out the failure in strength of leadership in that case???
    Next time anyone sneezes, let's close the country down, cancel every single sporting event, arrest Elite and his Chelters bus and give them an automatic 12 months in pokey......anyone daring to open their front door, shoot 'em in the head, level all the schools and supermarkets (they ain't gonna be needed after everyone is dead anyway) and lob mars bars and burgers-n-chips onto rooftops via drones to the few survivors....there you go, vote for Tarkers, the man with all the answers.

Meanwhile, I'm happily growing my veggies, the animals are chewing the grass and I might live on the wild side tomorrow by walking to the supermarket to buy another litre of Captain Morgans....oooo errr Tarkers, that's scary, "yes I know, I might trip and get a grass-burn"

Reactionaries?? You haven't stopped sulking for almost 4 years since the brexit vote didn't go your way. You have a dig at every opportunity. If Boris came up with a cure for this virus you would still moan.

Page 12 of 365 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast