+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 59 of 366 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Impressed with the leadership

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I just can't fathom how we're in mid July and England still hasn't made masks compulsory.
    This pub quiz question may help you:

Q. Give two examples of the common phrase 'bordering on stupidity'.

A. Scotland and Wales. Canada and Mexico also score a point.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I just can't fathom how we're in mid July and England still hasn't made masks compulsory.
    It seems a decision has finally been made and they will now be mandatory in shops and supermarkets from 24th July.

It probably would have been better to implement it before shops reopened to be clear to the public? It is still 11 days away before it comes into force.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 13-07-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Even though it may fall short of ample science, when you read that particular statement as the person in charge do you go for the safety first option and make face coverings mandatory? Or do you dither, offer conflicting messages, and hope someone else sorts it?
    I've long advocated the study of the UK Chinese communities who were wearing masks in Jan/Feb but I don't think it's been done. I've now learnt that the nice masks with a valve, which I bought a few weeks ago, are not recommended - because of the valve!! If you watch the F1 drivers being interviewed not one can go 20secs without adjusting their mask. People will stuff their Covid laden masks in their handbag, pocket etc and take it home with them, or take it out with them the next time they go out. To respond to your question - it may on the balance make a difference. The obvious route is to "suck it and see" but then if there is a "U" turn based on new and changing evidence the likes of you will come along and question how the Government could have got it wrong.

Unlike Notts the issue is not Black or White (can I express things in those terms anymore?) and the balance of opinion, which has shifted, is that it probably might be better but overall - as the current statistics show as the current policies are (albeit belatedly) working except in Leic (where I might be accused of being racists if I expressed why) - any difference may be smaller than expected and efforts better spent elsewhere. Sid can clean that sentence up for me, past my bedtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    I've long advocated the study of the UK Chinese communities who were wearing masks in Jan/Feb but I don't think it's been done. I've now learnt that the nice masks with a valve, which I bought a few weeks ago, are not recommended - because of the valve!! If you watch the F1 drivers being interviewed not one can go 20secs without adjusting their mask. People will stuff their Covid laden masks in their handbag, pocket etc and take it home with them, or take it out with them the next time they go out. To respond to your question - it may on the balance make a difference. The obvious route is to "suck it and see" but then if there is a "U" turn based on new and changing evidence the likes of you will come along and question how the Government could have got it wrong.
    Maybe, but the science behind the wearing or not wearing of face masks wasn't really my point. My point was the hopeless lack of any clear direction once again from the government. Just tell us we have to wear them or tell us we don't and I'll comply. It's staggering that two of the most senior government ministers are saying different things, and equally staggering that it's being brought in 11DAYS FROM NOW! If the current thinking is that it will help stop the spread of the virus, why the f@ck is it being delayed that long?

I haven't been on a train in years, but it seems to be observed on buses from what I've seen. I agree that it needs to be properly policed if it becomes mandatory - if you aren't wearing a mask, you're not allowed in the shop or on the bus or train.
    Thankfully my train journeys are not frequent. However, I can tell you that it’s not being adhered to and the majority of under 30s quite frankly don’t give a ****. No amount of messages over the tannoy works, in fact some have been observed laughing about it.
    I don’t blame the train staff as I bet they can’t be bothered with the hassle that they would encounter. That said why can’t under cover transport police help protect those that are observing social distancing and the wearing of a face covering? That’s why the announcement re. 24th July won’t work. Someone will walk in to a shop wearing a face covering and will soon remove it. Can you imagine somewhere like Primark enforcing it? The shops need to be held accountable, as should transport. Failure to enforce could result in a fine or closure. It’s been well documented about pub closures but I also know of a pub in Hucknall that was fined £1000 for having too many folk in. That’s what we need to see more of, and it needs reporting in the news.

I've been zooming around the East Mids on buses hither and yon, going ramblin' and making a day out of it. I much prefer the buses for a day out as I can sit and enjoy the scenery, earwigging conversations and chatting to others.

I've been doing it for over twelve years now, since I got me bus pass, and I can honestly say women are the worst passengers. They nearly always take an aisle seat, reserving the other for their handbag or shopping. I packed in bussing for a while because of COVID but started up again about three weeks ago and now I'm back, operating full time.

Now, in The Day of The Mask, the older ladies look frightened to death if somebody looks like they might want to sit near them. The younger element like to go upstairs and drop their masks. All ages will, if they can, sit on the seats at the front, you know - for the elderly or disabled. The only passengers I have seen not wearing a mask are women. Some come on the bus holding a mask over their mouth with the loops dangling, others remove their mask so they can stuff sweets down their gob, all look guilty but pretend the rules aren't for them.

Men just and quietly watch, and if they are like me, wonder what we ever saw in them. The ugly ones anyway.

Maybe, but the science behind the wearing or not wearing of face masks wasn't really my point. My point was the hopeless lack of any clear direction once again from the government. Just tell us we have to wear them or tell us we don't and I'll comply. It's staggering that two of the most senior government ministers are saying different things, and equally staggering that it's being brought in 11DAYS FROM NOW! If the current thinking is that it will help stop the spread of the virus, why the f@ck is it being delayed that long?
    Can't agree more, obviously just offering advice doesn't work, just look at what happened at Bournemouth beach.
    The public have to given clear instructions what they have to do.

Sadiq Khan revealed on GMB today that despite his best efforts he has had no communication from you-know-who since May 10th. What happens if we need a London lockdown, he says. Or another terrorist incident.
    Cummings must have advised him to ignore. Of course, we're all in this together, when it suits.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Can't agree more, obviously just offering advice doesn't work, just look at what happened at Bournemouth beach.
    The public have to given clear instructions what they have to do.
    This^^^ Advice doesn't seem to work and when I do venture out, it's pretty ob that less people are bothering to wear masks. But why 10 days? To allow businesses to get themselves sorted and buy some to give to people who haven't bothered to buy/wear one?

You might comply but judging by other recent posts on here many won't and are not and we don't have sufficient police to enforce. The issue is now beyond contracting the disease or not. Much harm is being done in other areas and some of that harm is costing lives too.

So yes it would be nice if everyone was singing from the same hymn sheet and it would be nicer if those writing the "science" for the hymn sheets were consistent. To crib from a well known phrase or saying ".. because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know."

Page 59 of 366 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast