+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 186 of 365 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196236286 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 3648

Thread: O/T:- Impressed with the leadership

Christ. What a farce.

Perhaps when the Tories select their next leader they can pick someone that has not been sacked numerous times for being a liar.

I know Labour are going for the throat regarding Boris (and rightly so) but wouldn't it be wiser to leave him in charge to bumble along from one disaster to another?
    A new leader can distance themselves from recent cock ups and would have 2 years to put things right.
    Mind you leaving him in charge might be disastrous for the country but better for the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    Christ. What a farce.

Perhaps when the Tories select their next leader they can pick someone that has not been sacked numerous times for being a liar.
    Or maybe the public could consider next time NOT voting for a proven liar and someone who hides in a fridge to avoid being questioned ..!

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Or maybe the public could consider next time NOT voting for a proven liar and someone who hides in a fridge to avoid being questioned ..!
    Next time there might not be a proven liar to vote for, mind you that might be difficult with this lot😤

So the honourable Jacob Rees-Mogg says "This issue about do people have an alcoholic drink when they are working is not absolutely set in stone one way or the other." It certainly was when I worked. Consuming alcohol on company premises was classed as gross misconduct and was punished by instant dismissal. So we can't drink and drive, but apparently we can drink and govern the country!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    So the honourable Jacob Rees-Mogg says "This issue about do people have an alcoholic drink when they are working is not absolutely set in stone one way or the other." It certainly was when I worked. Consuming alcohol on company premises was classed as gross misconduct and was punished by instant dismissal. So we can't drink and drive, but apparently we can drink and govern the country!
    Well that policy might explain a few of the decisions made over the last decade or so! Hic!

Pivoting from ‘we didn’t break the laws we made’ to ‘we didn’t know we’d broken the laws we made’ and then on to ‘the laws we made were terrible laws anyway’ should mean the end of the Conservative party as a major political force in this country. (As should 150,000 odd dead).

But it won’t.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Pivoting from ‘we didn’t break the laws we made’ to ‘we didn’t know we’d broken the laws we made’ and then on to ‘the laws we made were terrible laws anyway’ should mean the end of the Conservative party as a major political force in this country. (As should 150,000 odd dead).

But it won’t.
    Of course it won’t.

Some people might argue that the infamous ‘Dodgy Dossier’ should have meant the end of the Labour Party as a major political force in this country, but it didn’t.

In such cases, people focus their blame and anger on the particular individuals they believe were the chief culprits at the time - usually the party leaders - so Tony Blair will forever be associated with the Iraq war and Boris Johnson will forever be associated with ‘COVID/partygate’.

That’s not to say such controversies don’t cause significant damage to a political party’s reputation and support for a certain period of time, but the damage is never permanent, because sooner or later the leaders change and events and public opinion move on.

Under the current electoral system, Conservatives and Labour are the only political parties realistically likely to lead a Government in the UK Parliament, so it’s fairly inevitable that each will recover from their various ‘bad moments’ given time. How long this takes depends on the quality of the next leader(s).
    Last edited by jackal2; 26-01-2022 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post

But it won’t.
    “I hope, and I would like to call on all politicians in this country, that for the grievous damage this man has inflicted on this nation, on its armed forces, he be banned from any form of public office for life. At the very least.”

Quote from a bereaved relative in The Guardian, in 2016 regarding one Anthony Charles Lynton Blair. I certainly wouldn't want the Labour Party to cease to exist on the back of that, and I'm sure you wouldn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    “I hope, and I would like to call on all politicians in this country, that for the grievous damage this man has inflicted on this nation, on its armed forces, he be banned from any form of public office for life. At the very least.”

Quote from a bereaved relative in The Guardian, in 2016 regarding one Anthony Charles Lynton Blair. I certainly wouldn't want the Labour Party to cease to exist on the back of that, and I'm sure you wouldn't either.
    You mean because of Iraq? The war in Iraq that caused the Foreign Secretary to resign out of er principle? The war in Iraq that the Tories supported? That war?

There were more people in the Labour Party who voiced their objections to Iraq than in the Tories. Clare Short resigned a couple of months later. Tell me how many Tories have resigned in principle because of the current fiasco?

Page 186 of 365 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196236286 ... LastLast