+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is your Albion Legend?

Who is your Albion Legend?

Been trying to think of something else, anything else to post about.

Someone else has mentioned legends and in my time there are 3 contenders for number 1.

Jeff Astle-if one man won us the FA Cup it was him

Tony Brown-all those goals esp Oldham

Gary Megson-we looked 3rd Division bound when he arrived but took us to the Prem.

Changed my mind a couple of times whilst I'm typing but I'm going to go for Astle as he gave me the happiest day of my life as a 14 year old football fan when The Albion was what mattered most

The King for me too. When he scored the winner against Man City in a 3-2 win on Boxing Day (Can't remember the year) I ran on the pitch with some other kids and jumped on Astle's back. When I ran back to get off the pitch the copper who had tried to stop me getting on the pitch just laughed and helped me back into the crowd. I would probably get a life ban now for it. How times change.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    The King for me too. When he scored the winner against Man City in a 3-2 win on Boxing Day (Can't remember the year) I ran on the pitch with some other kids and jumped on Astle's back. When I ran back to get off the pitch the copper who had tried to stop me getting on the pitch just laughed and helped me back into the crowd. I would probably get a life ban now for it. How times change.
    Now that's put a smile on my face.

From memory we were leading 2-0 City got it back to 2-2 when Jeff scored late on from a couple of yards out. City team
    Corrigan, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Heslop,Oakes,Summerbee,Bell,Lee, Young Coleman

From fact Albion Team
    Osborne,Colquhoun,Williams,Brown,Talbot,Fraser, Krywicki,Kaye, Astle, Hope,Clark.
    Scorers Astle (2) Brown
    Att: 44,897

Five days later I was at Maine Road to see us beat the season's champions humbled again, 2-0 this time.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Been trying to think of something else, anything else to post about.

Someone else has mentioned legends and in my time there are 3 contenders for number 1.

Jeff Astle-if one man won us the FA Cup it was him

Tony Brown-all those goals esp Oldham

Gary Megson-we looked 3rd Division bound when he arrived but took us to the Prem.

Changed my mind a couple of times whilst I'm typing but I'm going to go for Astle as he gave me the happiest day of my life as a 14 year old football fan when The Albion was what mattered most
    both astle and brown and a few others were great,for me Ronnie allen but only just.

No legends. I saw a lot of them play and they existed, they were real people.

I think that it depends on which age group you fit into. For me, it has to be Ronnie Allen. If it wasn't for him I would probably never have supported the Albion. As a seven year old growing up in the wilds of Herefordshire there was this lad who, when we played football in the playground, always wanted to be Ronnie Allen. I just copied him! Now I don't know whether to thank this lad or to curse him considering the highs and lows over the following 68 years. In fairness I should thank him as the Baggies have been an integral part of my life over the years despite the lean years that have been endured.

Of course the likes of Ray Barlow, Jeff Astle, Tony Brown, Bryan Robson, Cyrille Regis and more would figure as the choice of others, it's Ronnie Allen for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Now that's put a smile on my face.

From memory we were leading 2-0 City got it back to 2-2 when Jeff scored late on from a couple of yards out. City team
    Corrigan, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Heslop,Oakes,Summerbee,Bell,Lee, Young Coleman

From fact Albion Team
    Osborne,Colquhoun,Williams,Brown,Talbot,Fraser, Krywicki,Kaye, Astle, Hope,Clark.
    Scorers Astle (2) Brown
    Att: 44,897

Five days later I was at Maine Road to see us beat the season's champions humbled again, 2-0 this time.
    Hi, After the Maine rd game our coach windows were smashed we had travel back with half the side windows out.

Willie johnston.

Jeff Astle for me.
    Those were the days. You could pick up great players from the bottom 2 divisions. Astle, Kaye, Clark, Osborne all came from those divisions and all did us proud.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Willie johnston.
    Willie for me too.

Sneekes in the 90’s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)