+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: O/T:- Favourite Films

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Saw High Noon at the Cavendish on St Annes Well Road with my dad. Left me being a Western buff for the rest of my life but not many made nowadays as the genre is outdated. But some classics are still made occasionally ie Unforgiven, Django Unchained, Wyatt Earp,Tombstone and The Hateful 8. Going back to the 'High Noon' era, Alan Ladd's Shane was a great film and introduced a certain 'Walter' Jack Palance. This film was more or less rehashed in Clint Eastwood's Pale Rider. But I think of all the Westerns I have seen, 'Once upon a time in the West' stands out for both it's story and musical score. Admittedly it had fine actors and the young women of today don't compare with Claudia Cardinale the films leading lady ........ yum yum as Tarks would say!
    Something we can agree on finally, huh, serious?!?

Shane is an amazing film, I particularly loved Van Heflin as the dad - Joe, isn't it? Someone told me that Jack Palance was terrified of horses, I really hope that is true because it makes his menace even more impressive.

Finally got to see Once upon a time in the West a couple of months back, but I ended up getting interrupted and having to watch it over two days, it needs a rewatch.

My favourite remains For a Few Dollars More, just wonderful. Although... "get three coffins ready" in the first of the trilogy is one of the best sequences I've ever enjoyed in film.

Quote Originally Posted by pingu_pie View Post
    Something we can agree on finally, huh, serious?!?

Shane is an amazing film, I particularly loved Van Heflin as the dad - Joe, isn't it? Someone told me that Jack Palance was terrified of horses, I really hope that is true because it makes his menace even more impressive.

Finally got to see Once upon a time in the West a couple of months back, but I ended up getting interrupted and having to watch it over two days, it needs a rewatch.

My favourite remains For a Few Dollars More, just wonderful. Although... "get three coffins ready" in the first of the trilogy is one of the best sequences I've ever enjoyed in film.
    No problem at all Penguin.

I could go on forever on Westerns .... from Johnny 'Mack' Brown, William Elliott and Charles Starrett to Roy Rogers and Gene Autrey all who only played 'cowboys' or 'cowbags' as we used to call them. In answer to your question, yes Van Heflin played 'Joe' with (and here's a quiz question, who played his son little Joey?) It was the young Brandon de Wilde aged 11 I think who was to die early at the age of 21. I mentioned this because many Western fans will remember the three main stars but many get caught out with this one.

Another 'Eastwood' by the way was The outlaw Josey Wales which was excellent. If you can pull up any 'oldies' from anywhere I would certainly recommend Burt Lancaster's ''Lawman', Henry Fonda's 'Warlock' and a real oldie Anthony Perkin's/Henry Fonda's 'Tin Star'.

The best final shoot out scene in Westerns in my opinion would go to 'Tombstone' when Val Kilmer (wonderful Southern accent) playing Doc Holliday kills Johnny Ringo. Cheers youth .... keep well.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456