+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Of course - it's the media to blame...

O/T:- Of course - it's the media to blame...

So many posters on here - some who ought to know better - are slagging off the media for the spread of COVID19. But just who do they mean by the media? The press? TV? National radio? Commercial radio? Magazines? Or - let's throw this one in - social media - the one you are using here and now.
    Certain prominent users of social media love it that 'the media' is being discredited because that means (to them) that the public will absorb their twitter feed and facebook output as a more reliable source of information.
    If by media you mean the press, does that mean you are treating, for example, the Sun and the Times as one and the same?
    To be honest, without the media this pandemic would be a whole lot worse. It is the media that is helping to spread the government's message. It is the responsibility of the media to inform and educate the public about the virus. It is your own responsibility to sift through your media and make intelligent decisions about COVID-19.
    And where has this notion come about that the media is promoting the outbreak because there is money in it for them? How does the brodcasting media make money out of the hours it devotes to covering the pandemic? Who buys a newspaper to read about it? Most people I speak to are sick and tired of Coronavirus monopolising the air waves.
    I believe a country gets the media it deserves and apart from some of the more salacious elements among the red tops, this country has a healthier press and TV coverage than most of the world.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 17-03-2020 at 03:26 PM.

It's the spin the 'media' put on it that it the problem. Yes, they're spreading the news, with an unhealthy fear based bias towards it.....resulting in mass hysteria and panic buying of random shopping items.

Sidders old chap, dont hold the Times not guilty of scaremongering, just to quote the last two paragraphs of their leader column from last Friday, after The PMs speech about loosing loved ones. and after highlighting the damage to The city and big business.
    mr Johnson in due course will have to level with the British public again, before this crisis is over, many families are likely to loose their lively hoods and SAVINGS.
    are they intimating that the government will consider plundering our bank accounts to fund the forthcoming crisis in the city/ or just scaremongering.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    So many posters on here - some who ought to know better - are slagging off the media for the spread of COVID19.
    Not sure you can catch it off the media sid?

In all seriousness the media ie newspapers, current affairs periodicals, tv and radio are not blame for the spread of the virus but a vast majority of them do take every opportunity to sensationalise at every opportunity. It is then these sensationalised headers that find their way onto social media where it starts to get blown out of proportion by certain users.

The unfortunate situation is that there is a percentage of the population that are not particularly astute, lack basic common sense and are easily led and this is where the real danger arises when facts are sensationalised.

I don't buy newspapers anymore but happened to catch the front page of a few of the saturday tabloids, one of which had the headline "UK cases SOAR to 208" . . . SOAR?? Yes it's not nice to know that another 208 people have contracted the virus but why does such a small figure in the grand scheme of things need to be sensationalised to that effect, it's just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    It's the spin the 'media' put on it that it the problem. Yes, they're spreading the news, with an unhealthy fear based bias towards it.....resulting in mass hysteria and panic buying of random shopping items.
    Correct ....... Naturally many many oldsters like me will be concerned but not panicking. Why should I panic? .... COPD, 2nd stage kidney disease, heart disease all on my medical history CV plus warfarin for life and monthly INR blood tests for life. Nothing compared to the war time bombing raids, food rationing, Polio scares, the TB outbreaks plus throw in the Asian flu' back in the early 60's. Panic ..... never, concern definitely. Ask any old timer who's been schooled in the art of 'not panicking' what they think ...... the 'young media'professionals of today may be surprised, the truth being they haven't lived yet!

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Correct ....... Naturally many many oldsters like me will be concerned but not panicking. Why should I panic? .... COPD, 2nd stage kidney disease, heart disease all on my medical history CV plus warfarin for life and monthly INR blood tests for life. Nothing compared to the war time bombing raids, food rationing, Polio scares, the TB outbreaks plus throw in the Asian flu' back in the early 60's. Panic ..... never, concern definitely. Ask any old timer who's been schooled in the art of 'not panicking' what they think ...... the 'young media'professionals of today may be surprised, the truth being they haven't lived yet!
    Two different types of media quotes from this week, that go to show the "extremes" that the media is taking.
    Cannot find the actual quotes now but most on here will agree as to the following theme.

Firstly on Trump last week "the guy is an idiot, not taking Covid seriously, deliberately misleading the US public to prop up the stockmarket" etc etc etc

Now, literally over the last few days "beware, Trump is trying to use his executive powers to close down freedom of movement and lockdown the USA" https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...navirus-crisis

Basically he cannot win (if he does nothing initially, he's an idiot, but as soon as he acts he's a right-wing dictator)

At a time when the media should be feeding us factual, sound and balanced advice (to avoid panic)....certain newspapers are taking the opportunity to "stick the political boot in", not just with Trump but I've noticed it with Boris also today....it's pathetic.....somewhere, in between China's total lockdown and armed military patrolling the streets and Mexico's AMLO exhibiting his "I don't really care, I'm off to hug and kiss my supporters this weekend" attitude that had the press here puzzled and bemused, there is a middle line.....I certainly ain't no medical expert but good impartial advice from the media would a good start IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Two different types of media quotes from this week, that go to show the "extremes" that the media is taking.
    Cannot find the actual quotes now but most on here will agree as to the following theme.

Firstly on Trump last week "the guy is an idiot, not taking Covid seriously, deliberately misleading the US public to prop up the stockmarket" etc etc etc

Now, literally over the last few days "beware, Trump is trying to use his executive powers to close down freedom of movement and lockdown the USA" https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...navirus-crisis

Basically he cannot win (if he does nothing initially, he's an idiot, but as soon as he acts he's a right-wing dictator)

At a time when the media should be feeding us factual, sound and balanced advice (to avoid panic)....certain newspapers are taking the opportunity to "stick the political boot in", not just with Trump but I've noticed it with Boris also today....it's pathetic.....somewhere, in between China's total lockdown and armed military patrolling the streets and Mexico's AMLO exhibiting his "I don't really care, I'm off to hug and kiss my supporters this weekend" attitude that had the press here puzzled and bemused, there is a middle line.....I certainly ain't no medical expert but good impartial advice from the media would a good start IMO.
    Do you think it might be possible that Trump has incompetently handled this crisis AND may take advantage of the emergency powers that his administration may be given?

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post

Another thing ..... Very strange how the "Alec Salmond Affair" appears to have attracted little coverage from the BBC or other sources compared to the frenzy of hysterical outrage afforded to Boris when his Lefty activist neighbours shopped him to the Guardian (where else!) for shouting and rowing with his girlfriend. Methinks the Scottish windbag could be in the mire.

Well Sky are treating it like an Olympic medals table...

Another 284 cases 14 dead etc....morons.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Do you think it might be possible that Trump has incompetently handled this crisis AND may take advantage of the emergency powers that his administration may be given?
    As far as I'm concerned what he does is none of our business as long as we get the business we want and remain the closest of allies.

Whatever, the Don will be gone in another four years by which time many deals will be completed - if we're not all wiped out of course.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast