+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Will behind closed doors help or hinder Notts?

Will behind closed doors help or hinder Notts?

More important things to discuss I know, but as this is a Notts County forum and people might need a break from more serious matters..........

Strong possibility that the first few games at least on our return will be BCD. Ardley made a big deal pre-season of crowds giving opponents an advantage so what do we think?

Away from home, I think it's got to be more of a help to us, especially teams lower down the league. As we've seen, struggling sides have raised their game against the big boys in front of their biggest (or one of their biggest) crowds of the season.

At Meadow Lane, I'm not so sure. We've done well at home so far.

Hard to know. The crowd helps if you’re playing well, and works against you if you’re not.

So I’d say currently it won’t be in our favour....

In our league it makes less difference. I think in the current climate, finishing the season is more important to us than anything. If that is behind closed doors, then so be it. The alternative option to void this season would be much worse for Notts than just about everyone else in our league.

I think it would hinder the club. Matchday revenue and atmosphere can not be achieved or recreated by playing games behind closed doors.

I don’t know what the rush is for the season to be completed and games to be played just for the sake of it.

Football is nothing without the supporters to be there to enjoy and watch it. Especially if we were to carry on our good run. Wouldn’t it be just our luck that we play well when none of us can be there or experience the success.

Everything is suspended so the season can just finish off where it was left. This period we are in now can just be classed as the close season albeit six weeks earlier than anticipated. Then try and resurrect the season six weeks earlier than the start of the new season if possible. Or if not delay the start of next season accordingly.

It doesn’t have to be made difficult if dealt with logically and sensibly by the football authorities.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 23-03-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Hinder imo, without being too patronising, more of the rest of the league are used to playing without many fans but Meadow Lane should be an advantage to us against a lot of teams and looking at the last 10 home games we're 3rd in the form table which backs that up.

With only 3 home games left (as opposed to 5 away) and assuming BCD is a leveler against the home team at all grounds, I think there's a good chance we'll pick up more pts BCD than we would have done in normal circumstances.

When it comes to the play-offs however, I really do hope crowds are allowed back by then as that's where we will have, home or away, the 12th man. I can imagine play off rivals being overwhelmed and freezing in front of a 15k + crowd at ML or at Wembley for the final, not many players at this level would have too much experience, if any, of that kind of crowd virtually all being against them in such an important game.

Don't apologise, UTM, far too many posters on NCM writing about OT's instead of focusing on what this board is supposed to be about. However, to answer your question, the fact that our remaining games are 3 at home and 5 away makes me say that games played BCD will do us no harm at all.

Obviously football exists for entertainment and its supporters, but broadly speaking I think the effect of fans on outcomes is neutral overall.

Without doubt if you have a big and vociferous home crowd in a positive mood it can lift a team, but equally there are times when it can pile more pressure upon a team with negative feedback from the stands if they're struggling in a game.

A lot of time, fans tend to exaggerate the prevailing emotion rather changing it. For example if Notts are 0-2 down at home then the supporters will often be moaning, but if the team finds it within itself to overcome that and get a goal back, then the atmosphere can change quickly and get the adrenalin pumping. The starting point is mostly still the players.

Don't think it would hinder Notts one bit. We now have a squad and management team that are professional and hungry for success. My only concern would be how many players were not allowed to play due to still showing symptoms of the virus. We could be forced to play a game BCD with half the squad missing, but then I suppose that could be the same for all clubs. Also, you would have to have all your players together for training again a good week before the first BCD game to ensure fitness levels and tactics are up to scratch.