+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Favourite Films

Quote Originally Posted by pingu_pie View Post
    Dirty Harry. Why would anyone need any more?
    Debbie Does Dallas.

Made Dirty Harry look like Squeaky Clean Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Debbie Does Dallas.

Made Dirty Harry look like Squeaky Clean Harry.
    Well, I've always been a fan of Uncle Clint, but I don't think I'd have enjoyed him playing that part...

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Performance
    If....
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Scum
    Clockwork Orange
    The Wicker Man
    Head
    Quadrophenia
    Eraserhead
    Gregorys Girl
    A great list, UTM, but Clockwork Orange is a little too close to reality at the moment. The army is on the prowl but just watch out for civil disorder in the next month or two.

Oddly enough, the film that probably had the biggest impact on me of all was a terrible film I saw on ITV when I was about 7 and haven't watched since, "Return of the Planet of the Apes". Where we used to live, up North, there were still a lot of bomb sites which we drove past on the way into town, my parents would have commented on it and I'd have half understood what they were talking about as I was aware that my grandfather had served in the war (the medals were all on display in the front parlour), the problem was - nobody had thought to tell me that the war was over, so in my pre-school mind I had this fear that we might get bombed every time we went near the city.

The scene at the end of "Return TTPLOFT Apes" where they are all worshiping the bomb, very much confirmed the feeling I'd had that this existential threat was still a reality, bombs hadn't been un-invented and they'd almost certainly become more powerful. I just knew it in that moment, that this was the world I'd been born into. The bomb was our new god.
    It's still a greater threat to humanity as a whole than Covid-19, though not sure if this pandemic will make WW3 more or less likely. It's a world changing event, so has to tip the scales one way or the other.

This thread was no doubt designed as a source of recommendations to escape from the reality of the current situation. I think we've just ruined it. Sorry Navy.

Saving Private Ryan

Zulu

Green Mile

Dead Man Walking

Shawshank Redemption

We were Soldiers

Longest Day

No Country for Old Men

........lastly, the latest film uncovered from oblivion by the Tarq Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri....it was that good, I might even stream it again tonight.....heart-moving, dramatic, funny. On 57 minutes, superb background music playing, but you just know this is getting ugly "what are you looking at (to the black passerby)"......."nothing" says the guy's new boss....hahaha.....and 3 minutes later "do you think I might keep my job....Sir?".....errrr no.........evocative opening music, superb cinematography, and a few moments that genuinely make you emotionally gutted.....please please please make a follow-up
    linky https://moviegaga.to/movie/three-bil...r7qmyz0o2m9yjq
    Last edited by tarquinbeech; 22-03-2020 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Oddly enough, the film that probably had the biggest impact on me of all was a terrible film I saw on ITV when I was about 7 and haven't watched since, "Return of the Planet of the Apes". Where we used to live, up North, there were still a lot of bomb sites which we drove past on the way into town, my parents would have commented on it and I'd have half understood what they were talking about as I was aware that my grandfather had served in the war (the medals were all on display in the front parlour), the problem was - nobody had thought to tell me that the war was over, so in my pre-school mind I had this fear that we might get bombed every time we went near the city.

The scene at the end of "Return TTPLOFT Apes" where they are all worshiping the bomb, very much confirmed the feeling I'd had that this existential threat was still a reality, bombs hadn't been un-invented and they'd almost certainly become more powerful. I just knew it in that moment, that this was the world I'd been born into. The bomb was our new god.
    It's still a greater threat to humanity as a whole than Covid-19, though not sure if this pandemic will make WW3 more or less likely. It's a world changing event, so has to tip the scales one way or the other.

This thread was no doubt designed as a source of recommendations to escape from the reality of the current situation. I think we've just ruined it. Sorry Navy.
    Yeah ... why they remade them I'll never know.

A lot of mine been already mentioned, but some others,

Killing Zoe - a must see - still cite the line "you have to live life a little" in a french accent to this day
    Battle Royale - the original Hunger Games
    The Ring - due to the originality
    True Romance
    Inglorious B--tards
    Kill Bill
    Once upon a time in America

But, I'd say, in the last 12 months there are two definitely in my top 10,

Once upon a time in Hollywood
    Parasite

Obviously Parasite only on at the fliks, which are now closed, but as soon as we past this period, I recommend it. Funny and really well directed with a good cast. Hadn't seen any of the actors before, but all seemed perfect for the role.

Old fart so:

Rock around the clock
    King Creole
    The Longest Day
    Godzilla ( all of the films up to the Yanks taking over!)
    Midway

Shawshank Redemption
    Papillion
    Bridge on the River Kwai
    The Hours

Blues Brothers
    The Italian Job

And thanks for reminding me to watch this again if I can find it -
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicBoots View Post
    True Romance

I'll have to go for:

Shaving Ryan's Privates