+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Prince Charles Tests Positive

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    In many ways though RA it is entirely relevant to this crisis, we have medicalised (not sure thats a word but you know what I mean) old age to the extent that sections of society demand that £1,000s be spent on drugs to extend life by 3, 6 or up to 12 months even though the end result is a foregone conclusion.

In this crisis we are seeing normal deaths (if your old the odds are you will die from a respiratory disease) but accelerated, much the same as when we have a flu epidemic. But because we have this fetish about the right to life whatever the circumstances, there is a mixed message emanating from government about saving lives when in reality its about reducing the health service being overwhelmed by dying people.

As for the baby boom, you could be right, there could also be a surge in the divorce rate!!
    Both those reasons, could be down to some serious garden fence hopping as well.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    In many ways though RA it is entirely relevant to this crisis, we have medicalised (not sure thats a word but you know what I mean) old age to the extent that sections of society demand that £1,000s be spent on drugs to extend life by 3, 6 or up to 12 months even though the end result is a foregone conclusion.

In this crisis we are seeing normal deaths (if your old the odds are you will die from a respiratory disease) but accelerated, much the same as when we have a flu epidemic. But because we have this fetish about the right to life whatever the circumstances, there is a mixed message emanating from government about saving lives when in reality its about reducing the health service being overwhelmed by dying people.

As for the baby boom, you could be right, there could also be a surge in the divorce rate!!
    Longer than that in some cases, Swale and I wholly agree with your sentiments.

I consider us extremely fortunate in that all four of our parents suffered relatively sudden deaths which didn’t involve an enormous loss of dignity. My mother lasted a week after a stroke at the age of 84 but the prognosis in terms of quality of life was hopeless and I genuinely believe in those circumstances she lost the will to live.

It’s truly tough to lose a parent in such circumstances...both my father and father in law, there one minute gone the next. Total shock...there’s no chance to say any sort of mutual goodbye, but I’d honestly prefer that to my mate’s experience of having to watch his father take five years to die having no idea of who was visiting him and being doubly incontinent most of that time.

It’s a grown up debate the country needs to have. To some extent one can’t judge till one is in that position but I honestly feel that, from my own point of view, I wouldn’t want to live without a certain quality of life and my heart goes out to those suffering terminal and horribly debilitating illness who are not allowed to die with dignity.

Cheerful eh? Needs to be a huge adult debate but probably not in the midst of a pandemic.

You’re right about the divorce rate...I’m off into the garden!

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Both those reasons, could be down to some serious garden fence hopping as well.
    I hope your not suggesting a breach of social distancing rules!

Apparantly "doggy style" is the safest position at the moment, no kissing and wash your hands afterwards!

When you are as big as I am Swale you can achieve adequate penetration whilst still observing social distancing etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Longer than that in some cases, Swale and I wholly agree with your sentiments.

I consider us extremely fortunate in that all four of our parents suffered relatively sudden deaths which didn’t involve an enormous loss of dignity. My mother lasted a week after a stroke at the age of 84 but the prognosis in terms of quality of life was hopeless and I genuinely believe in those circumstances she lost the will to live.

It’s truly tough to lose a parent in such circumstances...both my father and father in law, there one minute gone the next. Total shock...there’s no chance to say any sort of mutual goodbye, but I’d honestly prefer that to my mate’s experience of having to watch his father take five years to die having no idea of who was visiting him and being doubly incontinent most of that time.

It’s a grown up debate the country needs to have. To some extent one can’t judge till one is in that position but I honestly feel that, from my own point of view, I wouldn’t want to live without a certain quality of life and my heart goes out to those suffering terminal and horribly debilitating illness who are not allowed to die with dignity.

Cheerful eh? Needs to be a huge adult debate but probably not in the midst of a pandemic.

You’re right about the divorce rate...I’m off into the garden!
    With regard to dignity at the end of life my uncle (dad's brother) and auntie had a special end! He was 86 and she was 84, they were childhood sweethearts and married in their early twenties. Unfortunately, they couldn't have children but were inseperable all their married life.
    They both enjoyed good health, he was Chief Pharmacist with Boots and they had a comfortable married life. They retired to a country village living in a picture postcard cottage. They kept a few lambs and he had a large allotment so their retirement was to be envied!
    He ultimately suffered a severe stroke which placed him in a coma. My auntie visited him daily getting lifts from friends from the village. The stress proved too much and she suffered a stroke placing her in a coma as well. At the hospital it was realised that neither would recover and their beds were placed side by side. The next day my uncle passed away and only a few hours later we also lost my auntie. So my uncle never new my aunt was ill before he passed away whilst she did know that he had passed way!
    They were buried in the same grave at a joint ceremony.
    Sad but, in many ways, a beautiful end to an endearing love affair.
    Last edited by macstheman; 27-03-2020 at 05:39 PM.

You could always look for the correct sized knot in your wooden fence panel and knock it out, as long it was at a comfortable height.

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    With regard to dignity at the end of life my uncle (dad's brother) and auntie had a special end! He was 86 and she was 84, they were childhood sweethearts and married in their early twenties. Unfortunately, they couldn't have children but were inseperable all their married life.
    They both enjoyed good health, he was Chief Pharmacist with Boots and they had a comfortable married life. They retired to a country village living in a picture postcard cottage. They kept a few lambs and he had a large allotment so their retirement was to be envied!
    He ultimately suffered a severe stroke which placed him in a coma. My auntie visited him daily getting lifts from friends from the village. The stress proved too much and she suffered a stroke placing her in a coma as well. At the hospital it was realised that neither would recover and their beds were placed side by side. The next day my uncle passed away and only a few hours later we also lost my auntie. So my uncle never new my aunt was ill before he passed away whilst she did know that he had passed way!
    They were buried in the same grave at a joint ceremony.
    Sad but, in many ways, a beautiful end to an endearing love affair.
    Touching story, mac. I guess few get such a romantic conclusion to their lives, but once this joy-sucking virus is done I do think we - society, not this forum - need to look at the issue of being offered the appropriate choice of dying with dignity.

I also really hope that society manages to remember those who are going over and above now - health workers, shop workers etc - when all this is finished. If there’s one good thing to come out of all this - and there may well be - it might be that some of those who do the most humble jobs receive the respect and reward they deserve.

You mean like the humble bankers and the simple minded hedge fund managers rA, not those obsequious overpaid carers?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    You mean like the humble bankers and the simple minded hedge fund managers rA, not those obsequious overpaid carers?
    Wasn’t a political comment, GP. I meant what I said...that those at the sharp end of all this shouldn’t be forgotten when it is eventually over...eg shopworkers.

I imagine all the supermarkets have made huge profits in the last fortnight or so...maybe those frontline workers who have put up with abuse and risk of infection should be rewarded appropriately for the crucial part they have played in achieving such profits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    You could always look for the correct sized knot in your wooden fence panel and knock it out, as long it was at a comfortable height.
    Aye and as long as next door wasn't handy with a carving knife!

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)