+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Life on the front line.

The most challenging part of the day is the donning and doffing of our PPE. It has to be carried out in an exact science to prevent from spreading the virus, when leaving an isolation hub. Having a ward dedicated to the virus is much easier then individual isolation rooms. The upside is that it is easy to kill the virus...good hand hygiene does the trick. The virus as is best understood todate is mainly spread through contact to contact and thankfully is not airborne. Contaminated droplets usually don't travel far...hence the 2 meter rule been applied in social isolation when outside.One of the habits that changes first after donning and doffing a few times...is just how often we tend to touch our faces without even being aware of it....So personnel habits begin to change immediately.......and you have to stay on it.....no nose picking or eye scratching ...general movements of the hand to the face change......if you have an itch.....you scratch it with an alcohol gel laden hand.....
    Speaking of alcohol....I noticed that the people over here have been pretty good at the distance thing from the start.I think when the pubs were closed...it was a pretty strong message taken by people over here to take this very seriously...
    Over here only GOD is allowed to shut the pubs...Christmas day and Good Friday.....so people read between the lines quickly here.
    The days pass quickly....

After reading your posts over the last 8 years Dub, I would imagine that you play down your importance in this matter, as just doing your job. Such is the modest manner in which you carry yourself.

But hey squire, you are doing Ireland and its people, and us ‘blow ins’ proud. It would be easy to pull ‘a sickie’, but you soldier on relentlessly.

As an old deceased Villamad poster used to say.

“I doff my cap in your general direction, sir”.

Stay safe, ‘Pale Dweller’.

Interesting statistics about the virus over here.....23% of all positive results are front line staff. One of our colleagues succumbed to the virus today after very swift illness. RIP.
    ICU admittance has doubled in one week. At this rate...we will run out of ICU beds in 2 weeks. Very high rate of extremely sick patients presenting to hospitals now.....water was around our ankles a few days a go......up to our waist now!! and rising fast..

Sorry for my delay in response to some really nice comments on this thread.....Thanks.
    Stay safe everybody...

Off today. Spent the morning out walking in the Phoenix Park. Breathing in as much clean air as my lungs can take. One of the big draw backs with C-19 is having to be continuously masked and gowned from head to toe. Even been away from the patient side....we have to be masked up all the time...Anybody who has ever been to high altitude where the oxygen is thinner...can have an idea what wearing a mask is like for 12 hour shift.
    You are breathing in your own CO2 over and over again....so that you become drowsy and slower to move between tasks. It is incredibly hot and very stuffy work environment. So the fresh air today is wonderful and much appreciated by my lungs. It is true...the best things in life are free.......We are way below where we were anticipating on been by April the first.....People are great...they really are..Everybody is mucking in in their own way....and that means mostly staying at home. Funding has been set up by strangers to bring food and drinks into hospital staff and front line staff everywhere. It brings tears to my eyes how much people are trying to help.
    A huge time for reflection by humanity, if they use their time correctly.

Stay safe Dubbag. My daughter is a nurse in the new Derby Hospital. She works on the Gynaecology ward. I spoke with her today and she said they only had one patient in, when there is normally around thirty. She is not sure whether they have cleared the wards expecting a rush or not. When I asked her about protection she laughed, they have a little flimsy mask that hangs over their ears.

I think that when this is all over a medal should be struck and presented to all those on the front line, just as they did in the Second World War.

My brother in law and sister in law are GPs and there has been no real change to them. But my niece a consultant is doing 24hr shifts, but her junior doctor sister is doing normal shifts, which is surprising as they are insisting that my wife's cousin who is a dentist and her practice nurses must go and help at their local hospital or they risk losing their NHS contract, so the situation is desperate and I wish them all the best.

It is a national disgrace imo that all NHS staff still haven't been tested for the virus, and in all honesty the whole testing procedure (or lack of) has been shocking compared to Germany where their high levels of testing has resulted in a considerably lower death rate.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    Stay safe Dubbag. My daughter is a nurse in the new Derby Hospital. She works on the Gynaecology ward. I spoke with her today and she said they only had one patient in, when there is normally around thirty. She is not sure whether they have cleared the wards expecting a rush or not. When I asked her about protection she laughed, they have a little flimsy mask that hangs over their ears.
    Most likely they will have cleared all patients out of the hospital system that can be cleared out...
    GP surgery are empty....so many doctors are in a quieter phase....Most EDs are very quite now...people not going near hospitals......C-19 actually highlighted how many needlessly use the ED for medical issues....Quite a lot has been shown up with this pandemic......
    This to shall pass!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    Most likely they will have cleared all patients out of the hospital system that can be cleared out...
    GP surgery are empty....so many doctors are in a quieter phase....Most EDs are very quite now...people not going near hospitals......C-19 actually highlighted how many needlessly use the ED for medical issues....Quite a lot has been shown up with this pandemic......
    This to shall pass!!
    You and your fellow front line colleagues are doing us all proud , big thank you from us. Match tickets on me if you ever get the chance to come over.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)