+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Life on the front line.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I really feel for you lot in the NHS who are having to deal with this Dubs.

The problem is though that instead of one leak that we’re trying to plug, this disease is creating a colander with too many holes and not enough fingers.

I still see no other way around this other than to ramp up health provision and staffing to deal with it until maybe a vaccine is created.

The actual death rate is staggeringly low at around 0.012 across the whole planet so the mathematics involved in wrecking the world economy do not make sense.

A new respiratory unit and the requisite number of staff to be able to cope within a huge number of additional destinations throughout the country may be the only way forward.

You talk of “apathy” which is in effect “battle fatigue” throughout the country........it will be this that brings things to a head.

As humans we are not conditioned to living like this and the dam will burst over the next year.
    If the Government are so insistent that infections/deaths are to go through the roof this winter than as Mick says simply increase funding capacity and a start could be to reopen/build/create more Nightingale hospitals. They built the last lot quick enough. But my suspicion is they know they wont be needed because capacity will be there anyway. Let's face it the numbers of deaths are not like the heights of April /May and the NHS did cope and also managed to introduce some nice dance routines on TicTok although i admit that may be a rather unfair comment and shouldn't be applied to all NHS workers.

Evidence from The Imperial College London seems to suggest that herd immunity can't work as the immunity rate falls away quickly after infection.. The study was based on over 350,000 participants...

We all do don’t we. It just means UK/ROI have to do it bigger/better and they have failed for a number of reasons. One big reason was coming out of lockdown to early because of pressure from business.

I might be being a bit cynical but the case's rising coincided with schools and universities reopening.
    Some of the University town's like Aberystwyth are in lockdown again.
    I have seen kid's coming out of school ten to fif**** strong chasing and jumping on each other.
    Not blaming the kid's, when you are young nothing really matters,we were all like that.
    But i think it was folly to reopen these places with Flu season approaching.
    My mom is in a nursing home, I have seen her once since March. She was 87 on Friday and I had to leave her stuff outside the door.
    I may never see her alive again.
    But it's okay to go to school, or on a protest march or do a bit of Fox hunting, even though Fox hunting was made illegal year's ago.
    Good country isn't it?

One thing I would like to ask, is why despite all the precautions is our death's rate one of the highest in the world in ratio to case's?
    And why does every other country in the world show how many have recovered but not ours?
    That's two questions, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    I might be being a bit cynical but the case's rising coincided with schools and universities reopening.
    Some of the University town's like Aberystwyth are in lockdown again.
    I have seen kid's coming out of school ten to fif**** strong chasing and jumping on each other.
    Not blaming the kid's, when you are young nothing really matters,we were all like that.
    But i think it was folly to reopen these places with Flu season approaching.
    My mom is in a nursing home, I have seen her once since March. She was 87 on Friday and I had to leave her stuff outside the door.
    I may never see her alive again.
    But it's okay to go to school, or on a protest march or do a bit of Fox hunting, even though Fox hunting was made illegal year's ago.
    Good country isn't it?
    My own mother spent the last 4 months in hospital at 93....same couldn't visit...Not bothered as I look after her at home so I see enough of her...but my sisters were a bit upset...she is home now and we shall keep her here until she dies. She is much better off been at home.
    The incidents of winter flu have been negligible this season in the southern hemisphere....and so far it has been very much below normal expectation levels...and in fact has had weeks where no cases have been noticed. So a benefit of this virus is that it is destroying the circulation of seasonal flu.....
    When I was in my youth I was pretty peeded off with adults...still am...but that is life younger people do not succumb as easily to sickness....and as for spreading it.... thats life...
    Adaptation is key....

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    One thing I would like to ask, is why despite all the precautions is our death's rate one of the highest in the world in ratio to case's?
    And why does every other country in the world show how many have recovered but not ours?
    That's two questions, sorry.
    Each country has approached this virus in an independent way...this partially explains the complete fcuk up around the globe in the age of globalization...Every country has applied their own best practice for their country...
    For that reason you just have to see how politicians from around the world have put there own political party before the greater good for humans...so no surprises there...
    All these numbers are not really reflective of the reality in countries....in some countries local authorities are releasing figures that are higher then the national!!!
    How can that be? Politics...is your answer.
    As a yard stick...i roughly round up by about 10% for all cases...including deaths!!
    Even that is conservative......

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    If the Government are so insistent that infections/deaths are to go through the roof this winter than as Mick says simply increase funding capacity and a start could be to
    Are you aware Phil that opening beds is not the answer on its own...an ICU nurse takes time to train up...unless you would like a complete idiot pushing buttons or not, on the life support machine of your loved ones?
    Hopefully all the extra cases wont turn into the numbers expected and that most of them will just have mild symptoms for a while and then recover.....
    But the after effects are not to be taken lithely either...A number of my work colleagues have not returned to work 7 months later...Still struggling to go about a normal life...

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    Each country has approached this virus in an independent way...this partially explains the complete fcuk up around the globe in the age of globalization...Every country has applied their own best practice for their country...
    For that reason you just have to see how politicians from around the world have put there own political party before the greater good for humans...so no surprises there...
    All these numbers are not really reflective of the reality in countries....in some countries local authorities are releasing figures that are higher then the national!!!
    How can that be? Politics...is your answer.
    As a yard stick...i roughly round up by about 10% for all cases...including deaths!!
    Even that is conservative......

Dubs - are ICU'S filling up where you are! 367 deaths here today and many are saying the second wave could be worse than the first! Even a GP said today - it's going to get serious very soon. What's your thoughts on this as certainly getting worse here!

My mates wife is a sister at Russell’s Hall in Dudley.

I’m told there are around 70-80 Covid patients but not many in ICU.

She said the majority of the patients are either old, obese or black and Asian but whatever colour they’re mostly obese.

They are coping with things okay at present by all accounts.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)