+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Unsung heroes in a Notts shirt

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    Guy Branston was a better player than he was as a talent scout.

PS About 5,000 choices for unsung heroes in a Notts shirt.
    5,000 !! Crickey, how long have you been watching Notts.

These guys are the Heros...................we owe them so much

Name:  Reedtz.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  62.9 KB

Arthur Mann. A useful central defender, but made his mark more in midfield. I remember him making rampaging runs down the middle of the pitch. He was one of those never really appreciated by the “you’re rubbish Notts” brigade, but he was a good solid player.

Mark Fotheringham

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Mark Fotheringham
    I was going to put Mr pointy fingers Gary Owers, but you've trumped me with that one!

Quote Originally Posted by applepie View Post
    Arthur Mann. A useful central defender, but made his mark more in midfield. I remember him making rampaging runs down the middle of the pitch. He was one of those never really appreciated by the “you’re rubbish Notts” brigade, but he was a good solid player.
    I'd agree with Arthur Mann. Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by americanpie View Post
    These guys are the Heros...................we owe them so much

Name:  Reedtz.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  62.9 KB
    Ha ha, reminded me of this

Name:  Reedtz as Snarr.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  92.1 KB

My dad always used to rave on about Martyn Busby....a really classy midfielder from the 70's

David Hunt for me....didn't he score a hat-trick v Bristol Rovers in a 4-0 home win?....or is that me dreaming again?

Quote Originally Posted by for*sttown63 View Post
    My dad always used to rave on about Martyn Busby....a really classy midfielder from the 70's

David Hunt for me....didn't he score a hat-trick v Bristol Rovers in a 4-0 home win?....or is that me dreaming again?
    Not dreaming the hat trick but it was v Bristol City. Very hard working & classy player & still feel robbed of a victory v Spurs with him scoring a last second header ruled out for a push.

I don't know if you could call him "unsung" after his famous goal in the FA Cup at Spurs, but Don O'Riordan I thought was a key player in getting us promoted to the old Division One.

After our promotion from the old Third Division we had started well in the Second Division in 1990-91 but then the bubble was threatening to burst in late Autumn until Neil Warnock pulled the masterstroke of dragging 'Donno' in from the cold, often playing him as a sweeper, where his experience and talent was invaluable.

Don did for us what Dave Mackay once did for Brian Clough at Derby - an old warhorse who everybody had written off suddenly turned out to be the linchpin that held all the other pieces together.

It might be the rose-tinted specs talking but I still think O'Riordan's achilles tendon injury on the opening day of the Division One season away to Man Utd at Old Trafford was ultimately what cost us a chance of staying in the top flight. Prior to that injury he had become a key player, despite his age.
    Last edited by jackal2; 31-03-2020 at 04:09 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast