+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Unsung heroes in a Notts shirt

Without a doubt David Hunt - played 387 league and cup games for Notts, was a key and ever-present member of the Howard Wilkinson side that got promotion to the top tier in 1981 and that went on to stay in that division for three seasons; he was versatile and played in various positions and weighed in with 35 goals mainly from midfield, creating many more in the days before assists were recorded. Yet he hardly got any credit at the time and is little remembered now, a great shame.

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    Without a doubt David Hunt - played 387 league and cup games for Notts, was a key and ever-present member of the Howard Wilkinson side that got promotion to the top tier in 1981 and that went on to stay in that division for three seasons; he was versatile and played in various positions and weighed in with 35 goals mainly from midfield, creating many more in the days before assists were recorded. Yet he hardly got any credit at the time and is little remembered now, a great shame.
    Good shout that!

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    All I remember about him was the tan he always had & going awol

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Going awol? I don't remember that. Ian Scanlon did.

David Hunt is a great shout. We signed him from Derby County on transfer deadline day with 3 minutes to spare. The deal was done at the Houses of Parliament, where Jack Dunnett happened to be.

Hunt tells the story that on the way down to London on the train, Jimmy Sirrel ordered them both fish and chips in the buffet car. Jimmy squirted tomato sauce all over his, licked the top of the bottle, then offered it to Hunt. He declined!

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    Wasn't it Barnes who went when Turner came in.
    No, see my earlier post. Gary Mills left and we got £125k and Phil Turner.

Barnes didn’t leave until the season after, but spent most of that season injured except for a memorable goal away at Rotherham. One of my favourite away games that season.

We had a few strikers that season....Johnson, Lund, Barnes (when fit), Bartlett (after Christmas) and Gary Chapman (on loan).

But still managed to bugger it up in the last few games of the season.....or did we just want to go to Wembley?

• Jimmy squirted tomato sauce all over his, licked the top of the bottle, then offered it to Hunt. He declined!

• Quick Reply

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    • Jimmy squirted tomato sauce all over his, licked the top of the bottle, then offered it to Hunt. He declined!

• Quick Reply

Why?
    He's a brown sauce man.

My pick is more recent, not unsung but not sung enough - Mike Edwards.

Hunt and Goodwin are easy picks, and good ones. When they played it was with Mair, McCulloch, Christie and Chiedozie all ahead of them. They rarely played together, so had to hold down the middle and protect the defence with either Masson, Hooks or Harkouk by their side. And they did it (most or some of the time)!

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    The only time he ever went AWOL was on his wedding day.

Guy Branston

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    Guy Branston - didn't receive the credit he deserves.
    Guy Branston was a better player than he was as a talent scout.

PS About 5,000 choices for unsung heroes in a Notts shirt.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast