+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Unsung heroes in a Notts shirt

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    The only time he ever went AWOL was on his wedding day.
    I remember that wedding story making the front page of the Post. Talking of people going AWOL, Pedro’s summer jaunts to Spain were also a regular feature back in the 70s.

Didn’t Hunt score one of the goals in our 2-1 win against Arsenal back in 1981 that stopped the rot of four defeats in a row and showed we could actually compete at the top level? Ah, happy days. I also seem to recall him scoring a “brilliant” own goal against arsenal a few years later, lobbing McDonagh from 20 yards? Also seem to recall a red card against the F-word that season. Blimey, I wish I could remember a few more good things about him given that he played nearly 400 times for us.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Talking of people going AWOL, Pedro’s summer jaunts to Spain were also a regular feature back in the 70s.
    That brings back memories! If I remember correctly Pedro reported back late to pre-season training one season because he had stayed on in Spain due to the Pamplona bull run. I don't know if he stayed to watch or take part, but my money would be on the latter!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    That brings back memories! If I remember correctly Pedro reported back late to pre-season training one season because he had stayed on in Spain due to the Pamplona bull run. I don't know if he stayed to watch or take part, but my money would be on the latter!
    Brilliant! Definitely sounds like Pedro. Tragic that he died so young, same with Arthur Mann.

I liked Alex Dyer who played for us in the late 90's, remember he scored a few goals too, manager of Kilmarnock FC now.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I don't know if you could call him "unsung" after his famous goal in the FA Cup at Spurs, but Don O'Riordan I thought was a key player in getting us promoted to the old Division One.

After our promotion from the old Third Division we had started well in the Second Division in 1990-91 but then the bubble was threatening to burst in late Autumn until Neil Warnock pulled the masterstroke of dragging 'Donno' in from the cold, often playing him as a sweeper, where his experience and talent was invaluable.

Don did for us what Dave Mackay once did for Brian Clough at Derby - an old warhorse who everybody had written off suddenly turned out to be the linchpin that held all the other pieces together.

It might be the rose-tinted specs talking but I still think O'Riordan's achilles tendon injury on the opening day of the Division One season away to Man Utd at Old Trafford was ultimately what cost us a chance of staying in the top flight. Prior to that injury he had become a key player, despite his age.
    Nothing rose tinted about that. I’ve absolutely no doubt his loss was the main reason Notts have never been in the Premier league.

His move in to the role of “forward sweeper” coincided with an unbelievable defensive improvement. If you look at the goals Notts conceded after Don’o was brought into that role you’ll see they were either worldlys or scored from very short range.

We were really difficult to breakdown except against the very best.

He was my favourite player that season. I was gutted when he limped off at ManUre but never for a minute thought he would never make a serious contribution again. Hugely underrated player.

And I was right in line with that goal at white hart lane. Of all the goals I’ve watched, I think that one was the most excited I’ve ever got. I was still celebrating it when they started the second half and had to be told to calm down!

Venables, Lineker, Gascoigne, who?

Thanks for that reminiscing.

I would like to throw one name into the hat as an unsung hero and that is Richard Butcher.

Along with the likes of Mike Edwards he was at the club in one of its darkest hours between 2007-09.

He was one of a few players who gave his all and scored goals over two seasons that helped keep us in the football league pre-Munto. It’s a shame some of those from last season didn’t have the same heart and desire.

RIP Butch.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I would like to throw one name into the hat as an unsung hero and that is Richard Butcher.

Along with the likes of Mike Edwards he was at the club in one of its darkest hours between 2007-09.

He was one of a few players who gave his all and scored goals over two seasons that helped keep us in the football league pre-Munto. It’s a shame some of those from last season didn’t have the same heart and desire.

RIP Butch.
    Paul Harding. Workhorse and the goal against Boro took us to Wembley.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I remember that wedding story making the front page of the Post. Talking of people going AWOL, Pedro’s summer jaunts to Spain were also a regular feature back in the 70s.

Didn’t Hunt score one of the goals in our 2-1 win against Arsenal back in 1981 that stopped the rot of four defeats in a row and showed we could actually compete at the top level? Ah, happy days. I also seem to recall him scoring a “brilliant” own goal against arsenal a few years later, lobbing McDonagh from 20 yards? Also seem to recall a red card against the F-word that season. Blimey, I wish I could remember a few more good things about him given that he played nearly 400 times for us.
    Re: the Red card against Forest at the City Ground - I seem to remember that Brian Clough commended him for it, that seeing as Forest were 3-1 up going into injury time he was appalled that they were wasting time by the corner flag as Hunt flew in and kicked the player over & said he would have done the same had he been nearer.

Quote Originally Posted by justincast View Post
    Re: the Red card against Forest at the City Ground - I seem to remember that Brian Clough commended him for it, that seeing as Forest were 3-1 up going into injury time he was appalled that they were wasting time by the corner flag as Hunt flew in and kicked the player over & said he would have done the same had he been nearer.
    That was the one - couldn’t remember if that one was Hunt or Justin Fashanu who got sent off for that one. Pretty sure we ended with nine men that day. Also seem to recall it being played on a Sunday, although I can’t imagine why given there was no live football at the time.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456