+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: football clubs on furlough

" think the public are beginning to realise who their real role models should be."

Not for the first time 59 I think you are under-estimating the general public, the overwhelming majority of whom regard PL footballers as overpaid prima donnas, not worth a w@nk in comparison to just one employee of the NHS or any of our public services come to that. It's the media who bestow upon them their elevated status, not the public, it's the media who ask them, and give the likes of Lineker and Rooney the platform to give their opinion on politics, current affairs etc, not the public. I'm sure if asked who their role models were, 95% of the public would not be choosing PL footballers.

One thing I have concluded from this sh-itfest is just how foooooking irrelevant the opinions are of those who earn their crust from professional football.

The EPL is irrelevant, the wages are preposterous and I will not be chucking my resources at it anymore. The Child Bride is cancelling SKY, BT have gone the same way and my DDM's to BFC are cancelled sine die.

I'm not so sure Sinkov.

I don't see many young lads sporting NHS uniforms with the names of their heroes stamped on the back.

Perhaps they will see their heroes in a new light after all this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    I'm not so sure Sinkov.

I don't see many young lads sporting NHS uniforms with the names of their heroes stamped on the back.

Perhaps they will see their heroes in a new light after all this.
    I'm sure you're not sure 59, misreading what the public are thinking is a common trait amongst LibDems.

Just to show that some players are concerned
    Much lower down the scale I know, however, it was reported that Bedlington Terriers FC of the Northern League have donated the money that the players and officials were accumulating for their end of season trip. This amounted to £750 and has been given to the NHS Charities Together.
    Well done to all concerned.

To be fair to players they are just ordinary people who happen to be very good at one thing.I'm sure that a lot of them are helping where they can.On the financial side who are you going to donate to? The NHS is funded by Gov't,voluntarily reduce your pay and you are reducing the Gov't tax revenue.Probably you should keep your pay but but donate out of what you get net.My preference for that would probably be food Banks and charities helping the homeless and the elderly etc.

To criticise people who play football and are well paid is unfair.Would any of us refuse that pay if it was offered - No.They are in a no win situation here but I'm sure that a large number of them realise their moral obligations.

True Barrie, but these are exceptional times and hundreds of thousands of ordinary people, who pay the footballers wages, are losing their jobs at the moment and there is real hardship.

I am sure that the vast majority of them are just ordinary decent people who are on very high wages but, as you say, they have moral obligations at this time.

Given their watertight contracts it would be almost impossible to enforce a pay cut on them and so it would have to be done voluntarily.
    I haven't heard of any Prem player doing it yet.
    But there are plenty of ordinary members of staff who are losing out.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    True Barrie, but these are exceptional times and hundreds of thousands of ordinary people, who pay the footballers wages, are losing their jobs at the moment and there is real hardship.

I am sure that the vast majority of them are just ordinary decent people who are on very high wages but, as you say, they have moral obligations at this time.

Given their watertight contracts it would be almost impossible to enforce a pay cut on them and so it would have to be done voluntarily.
    I haven't heard of any Prem player doing it yet.
    But there are plenty of ordinary members of staff who are losing out.
    Hancock's Half Hour has just said all EPL footballers should accept a 50% pay cut. Is he doing?

Gary Neville's rant at Hancock's Half Hour...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other...cid=spartanntp

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Gary Neville's rant at Hancock's Half Hour...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other...cid=spartanntp
    Here we go again, the media giving another no-mark footballer the platform to have a rant at the government. I'm sure 99% of the public don't give a FF what Gary Neville thinks about anything.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)