+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: pic quiz

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    Woody, my father worked at English Electric as a press operator. It was originally Siemans, a German Company before the war. The Gerrys tried to bomb it but our lads shot them out of the air. It later became GEC, and finally Alsom the French company brought it. If you have a look on UTube you will find film of some of the big Transformers leaving the factory in recent years. ALE Abnormal Load Engeneering. They made a route through islands along the A34 to get them to the docks in Manchester. Tom Evans films them.

I was a train spotter in Stafford and we used to stand on the bridge by the station, it was known as Bagnalls bridge. One of their little saddle tank engines was restored and stood opposite Stafford Station for years, I think it now resides at Ammerton farm on the way to Uttoxeter. When this lockdown lifts I will have a ride to see.
    Great little piece of history mate.

I also used to frequent Bagnall's bridge for trainspotting purposes although I had to cycle all the way from Bushbury for the privilege. Surprisingly at the time the A447 between Wolvo and Stafford had a bicycle path running along side it for almost it's entire length, I think it was one of the first in the country. This was in the late 50s early 60s. I know some of it exists because I have seen it but how far it goes now I don't know.

Of course the attraction of Stafford was that just south of the station the West Coast Mainline branched off towards Lichfield and along with it all the big name expresses and the top line locomotives that normally by passed Wolverhampton and the line at the bottom of my street by Bushbury shed. Great spotting location for us!

Some magical summer Sundays the bike ride was not necessary because the WCM would be closed for maintenance and all those prestige trains would be diverted to the Stafford-Wolverhampton line and past the bottom of our street. Glorious never to be forgotten days!

With regard to electrical engineering I worked at the good old Electrical Construction Company [EEC] on the Stafford Road for a few years after leaving school and I ended up commissioning large electrical installations all over the world until I was retired so I have an interest in that kind of wo0rk and its local history.

Thanks for bringing back some memories!

Woody we are hijacking this thread, but what the heck! I am sure Grevesey won't mind too much. I was a founder member of the Stafford Railway Circle. We used to go all over the country spotting and getting permits to go around Loco sheds. Many times we didn't have permits but used to 'Bunk them' in the night.

A couple of the older chaps (20s) had cars and we would set off on a Saturday night and do our visits e.g Doncaster or the N East. I remember one of the lads falling in a pit as he attempted to cross a line in a shed in the dark. Once we were walking along the side of a track to 'bunk' a shed in the dark when two cycle lights appeared. We dived down the embankment as two train drivers headed home on their bikes.

We had so much fun, often reckless but great memories and many tales to tell.. One of the highlights was always a trip around Crewe works, in particular the paint shop to see the brand new livery, (ex works).. Probably got my books somewhere in the loft, Ian Allen wasn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    Woody we are hijacking this thread, but what the heck! I am sure Grevesey won't mind too much. I was a founder member of the Stafford Railway Circle. We used to go all over the country spotting and getting permits to go around Loco sheds. Many times we didn't have permits but used to 'Bunk them' in the night.

A couple of the older chaps (20s) had cars and we would set off on a Saturday night and do our visits e.g Doncaster or the N East. I remember one of the lads falling in a pit as he attempted to cross a line in a shed in the dark. Once we were walking along the side of a track to 'bunk' a shed in the dark when two cycle lights appeared. We dived down the embankment as two train drivers headed home on their bikes.

We had so much fun, often reckless but great memories and many tales to tell.. One of the highlights was always a trip around Crewe works, in particular the paint shop to see the brand new livery, (ex works).. Probably got my books somewhere in the loft, Ian Allen wasn't it.
    Bunked lot's of sheds mate, day and night! Funnily enough Stafford was never one of them despite the number of times we went there. Just didn't feel right somehow, always felt like a place were you could get nicked. Busbbury was the same although I did do that a couple of times. Oxley and Stafford Road no problem, every Sunday morning without fail. Only ever went on two "official" trips, one to Scotland and the other was an odd one that covered Peterborough, Cambridge, Bedford, March and another couple of odd places.

Yes Ian Allen it was, sadly lost mine a long time ago, still got the memories though!

Did Crewe works twice, once on a permit and once by climbing over the wall at the bottom of some ones garden and quietly tagging on to the end of the passing tour group on the works path! They sussed it eventually and put a works guy on the end of the line as a look out. The row of houses that backed onto the works have gone now, I took a look last time I was back.

Other works bunked, always on a Sunday of course were, Stafford Road, Doncaster and Oswerstry. There was another I think but I can't quite remember it for once.
    Last edited by WOODLANDSWOLF; 25-04-2020 at 06:44 PM.

picture 1k
    the tune they did is already on this thread,
    on the songs part..
    just saying is all😊

Quote Originally Posted by Greavseywolf View Post
    picture 1k
    the tune they did is already on this thread,
    on the songs part..
    just saying is all😊
    Dr & The Medics

*groan*

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwolf View Post
    Dr & The Medics
    sorted ..well done norts

some more bands

1P Is it Traffic ?

Nazareth? The first one.

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post
    Nazareth? The first one.
    nazareth is rite woody so is traffic george ..

two song titles next

if you nail pic 2b you will find the answer to pic 1 q

ere goes

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)