Quite a modern form of transport you may think. But the first electric train in Britain ran along Brighton sea front in 1884. London underground was being electrified by the 1890's.
The Great Railway builders of the mid nine****th century had the foresight to know that electricity would be the future power of traction.
As a kid i sat on Deepfields Station and watched the mighty steam trains thunder through, but i don't think i would have witnessed such a sight had it not been for the war. Lines were already being electrified in the 1930's.
The class 81 locomotives that took over the expresses through Deepfields around 1967, are long gone so are there descendants the 86 and 87 classes. In fact it's rare to see a locomotive either electric or diesel hauling a passenger train in our area now.
Diesel locos are becoming as uncommon now as steam was in the mid sixties. Now is a good time to take a few pics for posterity though i think you are already too late.
Modern trains now are made up of multiple units either diesel or electric powered, but though they aren't as pleasing on eye as a steam loco storming through a station, they are far more cleaner, economical and trustworthy.
With concerns about the effects of emissions on the environment i think all services will be electric in the future.
It's an ever changing world and has changed immensely in my lifetime.