+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest News...

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    JR, I'm very disappointed in your points of view. Let there be no doubt that this virus has no consideration for creed or colour, wealth or poverty, it will strike with impunity, - and Mr. Johnson had a 50% chance of getting out of ITU, - like you or I would have had.

Rather than people scoring political points, - we must understand that the only way to get through this is to stick together.

I said, a few weeks ago, - when I was being pilloried for suggesting that Covid-19 was a very serious matter, that there will be a new world order, - which none of us can guess what that will be.

Perhaps the best guess might be to suggest that China will be top dog. They addressed the initial outbreak in a way that the 'west' couldn't and they appear to be coming out of the first wave.

The problem with tsunami's is that the first wave can often be the precursor to a much greater one.

One thing is for certain, - unless or until the world gets a vaccine, none of us should resort to petty politics, - when our very lives depend on that most valuable of discoveries.
    I cant help but making this point political . The Conservative Party policy for the first 10 days of the virus was for ' herd immunity ' and to let the disease pass through the population ( ie take it on the chin - Johnsons own words) . They only changed tactic when they realised the virus was spreading like wildfire and the NHS was getting engulfed. As for your assumption that the disease is as likely to get you no matter your social standing , this is plain wrong. Supermarket workers, nurses , bus drivers , you name it , the ones who are on the lower end of the pay scale and deal face to face with the public are FAR more likely to contract the virus than the higher earners ie ones that can work their computers from home. Two tears ago, Tory MPs clapped and cheered when they won the vote in Parliament to DENY NHS workers a pay rise. Just let that sink in. Oh, and they've just awarded themselves an extra 10 thousand pounds each to work from home because of the virus .
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 10-04-2020 at 11:47 AM.

The problem with you older guys is that you are far more likely to believe what the press and news agencies tell you .Those people coming up behind you guys wont be as ready to accept the official line they are fed. Look what the Tory press did to a decent man in Corbyn during the GE in portraying him as an enemy of Britain while lording the compulsive liar and right wing darling Johnson. This followed on from trashing Foot, Kinnock , Miliband and Brown. Anyone notice a trend here ? Finally, Corbyn unsurprisingly gave the 10k given to him to charity and no , I dont vote Labour .
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 10-04-2020 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    I cant help but making this point political . The Conservative Party policy for the first 10 days of the virus was for ' herd immunity ' and to let the disease pass through the population ( ie take it on the chin - Johnsons own words) . They only changed tactic when they realised the virus was spreading like wildfire and the NHS was getting engulfed. As for your assumption that the disease is as likely to get you no matter your social standing , this is plain wrong. Supermarket workers, nurses , bus drivers , you name it , the ones who are on the lower end of the pay scale and deal face to face with the public are FAR more likely to contract the virus than the higher earners ie ones that can work their computers from home. Two tears ago, Tory MPs clapped and cheered when they won the vote in Parliament to DENY NHS workers a pay rise. Just let that sink in. Oh, and they've just awarded themselves an extra 10 thousand pounds each to work from home because of the virus .

makes you wonder who votes for these tory parasites ,boris johnston is just a poor mans trump that thinks he knows best .

As I said JR, I'm very disappointed that you are politicising this.

We need to forget party politics and nationalism and work together for the common good.

This is a problem affecting the entire world, and it has the ability to kill hundreds of millions of people, particularly in Africa and in the slums of major cities in India and Brazil. On top of that, - it is more likely to completely destroy the world economy, making the Great Depression of the 1920's look like a picnic.

Rather than banging the drum for Labour, Conservative Liberal or the SNP, we need to leave those thoughts at the door and get round the world's table, - and ask "how can we help, - what can we bring to the table?"

Please be assured, arguing about who said or did what in a national crisis when there is no book of rules to follow is entirely futile. For all we know, the only safe model might be to follow the Chinese model, with everyone staying indoors for 11 weeks and not coming out at all, even for food!

When we do get to the other side, - it will be easy with the benefit of hindsight to say what should and shouldn't have been done. I would have brought in a lock down in this country 3 weeks earlier, - and banned international air travel to and from China in December, - but I'd have been locked up and sectioned. I'm sure many people would agree with that last clause, - but why oh why was Cheltenham allowed to go ahead?

As for people decrying politicians as parasites, like Francis Begbie, you will get more than you bargained for, - or should I say less. With the amount of public money being used to shore up the economy to stop a 1920's style crash, that comes at a price and our freedoms may be taken from us forever. Dependent on the length of time this crisis goes on, - we may all receive a national salary, enough to pay for life's necessities and little more, akin to that of Cuba and many sub-Saharan cultures.

Let us hope that a full blown depression is avoided, because the inevitable result of that would be a world war. I fully agree there is no time for Mr. Trump banging the drum for America First, nor is there any place for greed and avarice, because in a world where inflation causes a millionaire to be penniless in days, you cannot eat the money you have in the bank.

The problem with us "older guys" JR is that not only do we read the papers and digest the (non fake) news on the internet, - many of us have taken an interest in history and economics, - and even the very best scenario at the end of all this is not pretty.

https://twitter.com/DrStrangetwit/st...115059201?s=09 As I said, this was the policy for the first ten days . Just answer me a quick yes or no Jardi . Do you think if, with the bodies piling up, Sturgeon or Corbyn had said and followed this out , there would have been outrage levelled at them by now ?
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 10-04-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Politics, just like religion, and football just do not mix.

I do so agree Spike. This is a football page. Your wise words have stopped me asking if Vera Lynn will get into the top 10 with "We'll Meet Again"

JR, the herd immunity concept was a decent idea for something like a mild seasonal flu, - but Covid-19 is something far more serious, - and the death count in the UK would have been circa a quarter to half a million, - akin to the deaths of service personnel in the First World War, and that would have been utterly unacceptable. The WHO persuaded the UK government, - who incidentally include Ms Sturgeon and others at their COBRA meetings to review their policy, - and that was changed within 24 hours. There would have been absolute outrage levelled at any politician had they pursued that suicidal policy.

Sadly, New York has suffered appalling tragedies on a scale they hadn't accounted for and I'm sure you can see on your news feeds the graphic pictures of the aftermath.

I can assure you that I have been doing everything possible to persuade the authorities that that solution cannot be considered in this country in the 21st century.

I cannot see Trump surviving this crisis, - but please, - enough of politics, - what is important is that we as a country support our leaders in both Scotland and the UK to serve us well and do the right thing for each and every citizen.

In essence, - they have achieved incredible things and far more than I would have believed possible. Obviously, the situation is not perfect, - but we are in a better place than many.

Criticising politicians is the easy bit, - like criticising managers and players, - but if we follow that footballing analogy, - this is a completely new team that we are all facing, with different tactics and we have no defence that can deal with it. Furthermore the goalposts keep changing, not only every day, but by the minute.

It is terrifying and very unsettling, - but criticising and pointing the finger, - when we have no solutions ourselves is a bit like blaming the referee for everything.

Now, - I'll not be able to post for some time, - I'm not ignoring you, - I've simply a lot to do.

Right , I had a little dip into a different topic outside of Queens and I'll now take a dip back out. There isnt anything like this normally on the Mad Site so it was a little change of direction but it didnt work out so good . I do hate the Tory Party but I'll leave it be now not to mention again.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 10-04-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Right now, am I correct in saying the votes for ceasing the bottom 3 leagues deciding the final position on points per game have to be in for 5pm today ? How do you all think the vote will go and when are we likely to hear the outcome ?
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 10-04-2020 at 02:03 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)