+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Civil liberties

O/T Civil liberties

Is anyone worried, that the current crisis may be seen as an opportunity by some officials in authority, to impose restrictions or measures long term on the public.

I ask because a certain Chief Super Adderley of Northampton is at it again, with crazy threats.
    One minute he is threatening to arm every officer with a taser and also jump on drivers with the speed limit.
    Now his latest lame brain threat, was to stop and search peoples shopping trolleys to ascertain, whether their shopping trip was necessary?

Sky news- Northamptonshire Police chief constable Nick Adderley prompted criticism after saying his force was "only a few days away" from "marshalling supermarkets and checking the items in baskets and trolleys to see whether it's a legitimate, necessary item".

In remarks condemned as "outrageous" by a leading civil liberties campaigner, he also warned ro*******s would be set up if members of the public did not adhere to government guidelines designed to curb the spread of coronavirus.

Now I don't know about you, but this krank is in the wrong uniform and needs one including jack boots.

One minute the police are squealing about lack of numbers to fight crime, then the next they can have a super market task force?

The answer thus far is, who knows? The usual conspiracy theorists are telling us the entire thing is an intentional plan manufactured by the "New World Order" (whoever "they" are) and that the outcome will be a tearing up of civil liberties. Compulsory vaccinations including some sort of ID chip come tracking device. More of the "Bill Gates" vaccinations apparently trialled in some African countries that included birth control drugs in them. Lockdown never completely reversed, keeping tabs on who is where and when..................... etc....

Maybe this is a hug wake up call telling us all that we have to dial back a few decades on travel etc. No more gallivanting off God knows where because we can despite it not being necessary. Look at the world today. Known badly polluted cities have splendid air quality all of a sudden. Venice hasn't known such clean water in a century or more. The tops of the Himalayas are visible to people living close to them for the first time in decades. The lack of travel is giving Mother Earth the chance to recover from the damage mankind has inflicted on her. People from Chapel En Le Frith or Cholmondley (etc) don't need to holiday in the Maldives...........

IMO we shouldn't go back how things were a month ago. We need to re-evaluate what's important and what's not. Life needs to be re-engineered to make it good for all. The richest individuals and the huge multinational corporations will have to pay more in order to reduce the tax burdens on those at the bottom of the pyramid. They will spend that extra rather than use it to top up secret offshhore bank accounts. That spending will create more jobs and thereby increase both tax revenue and the income of the big companies.... Basically, the rich will invest in their own future as well as ours. The 1st year they may earn less from their dividends and bonuses (they can afford to as well) but after that it's back to normal income for them.

Where will it all end? I don't know. What I do believe is that this pandemic has shown the world that it can't carry on as it is and that drastic changes are necessary or we will destroy ourselves. Some may say that's not a bad idea......

Hopefully some food for thought in here. Hopefully others will post up their thoughts on tomorrow and beyond.

#JEDI Just Eat Drink Isolate

I think it's hardly bloody "OT", it's all a bit **** on here at the moment.

M

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    The answer thus far is, who knows? The usual conspiracy theorists are telling us the entire thing is an intentional plan manufactured by the "New World Order" (whoever "they" are) and that the outcome will be a tearing up of civil liberties. Compulsory vaccinations including some sort of ID chip come tracking device. More of the "Bill Gates" vaccinations apparently trialled in some African countries that included birth control drugs in them. Lockdown never completely reversed, keeping tabs on who is where and when..................... etc....

Maybe this is a hug wake up call telling us all that we have to dial back a few decades on travel etc. No more gallivanting off God knows where because we can despite it not being necessary. Look at the world today. Known badly polluted cities have splendid air quality all of a sudden. Venice hasn't known such clean water in a century or more. The tops of the Himalayas are visible to people living close to them for the first time in decades. The lack of travel is giving Mother Earth the chance to recover from the damage mankind has inflicted on her. People from Chapel En Le Frith or Cholmondley (etc) don't need to holiday in the Maldives...........

IMO we shouldn't go back how things were a month ago. We need to re-evaluate what's important and what's not. Life needs to be re-engineered to make it good for all. The richest individuals and the huge multinational corporations will have to pay more in order to reduce the tax burdens on those at the bottom of the pyramid. They will spend that extra rather than use it to top up secret offshhore bank accounts. That spending will create more jobs and thereby increase both tax revenue and the income of the big companies.... Basically, the rich will invest in their own future as well as ours. The 1st year they may earn less from their dividends and bonuses (they can afford to as well) but after that it's back to normal income for them.

Where will it all end? I don't know. What I do believe is that this pandemic has shown the world that it can't carry on as it is and that drastic changes are necessary or we will destroy ourselves. Some may say that's not a bad idea......

Hopefully some food for thought in here. Hopefully others will post up their thoughts on tomorrow and beyond.

#JEDI Just Eat Drink Isolate
    MA, I don’t doubt that you talk a lot of sense...you always do...but you don’t half depress me.

So far this week, thanks to your posts, my car has shrunk to a two (and a half!) seater, my football stadium will shortly have a 16,000 capacity, and now I won’t be able to fly anywhere anymore!

I was coping...now I’m depressed!

Seriously though...the genie has long since escaped from the bottle. People, even those poor sods in Chapel en le Frith, know the delights of foreign travel and are going to be mightily reluctant to give up those opportunities. In addition the economies of such countries as Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece - just four of the most obvious examples - are so heavily reliant on tourism that they will be very hard pressed to survive without it.

You’re right, things have got to change and the impact of the ‘lockdown’ on climate would appear to be the one ‘silver lining’ of all this, but there might have to be some sort of compromise rather than the sort of sudden cessation in activity you appear to be recommending.

The cynic in me suggests that your lessons will be thought about for a few weeks, then mankind will resume its parasitic self destructive relationship with mother earth. Pollution will rapidly return, package tours to the sun will be in full swing again by 2022 and we will revert to our natural self centred egotistical norms

It's an interesting thought train though.

I think back to when I was achild.
    You never really went anywhere. Week at Mablethorpe,a few day trips/ school trips. Family time and get togethers. Even car trips were not very frequent. I have family in Scotland so that was you equivalent of a flight to Sydney.
    I remeber going to Benidorm in 76, when that resort was only as far back as the AV Mediterrano( 2 streets) and behind it swathes of lemon/orange trees.

It's quite scary how travel has changed the world in a short time and like RA says, the genie is out the bottle.
    Only way to stop air travel now, would be for oil to dry up.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    MA, I don’t doubt that you talk a lot of sense...you always do...but you don’t half depress me.
    rA, in that case............

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    The cynic in me suggests that your lessons will be thought about for a few weeks, then mankind will resume its parasitic self destructive relationship with mother earth. Pollution will rapidly return, package tours to the sun will be in full swing again by 2022 and we will revert to our natural self centred egotistical norms
    More likely that you’ll see rapid investment in alternative fuels for flying I’d imagine...liquified natural gas or hydrogen perhaps. Seems unlikely the aviation industry is suddenly going to just wave the white flag.

Maybe nuclear powered planes like the one I remember seeing on Thunderbirds, which almost crashed until International Rescue came to the rescue

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Maybe nuclear powered planes like the one I remember seeing on Thunderbirds, which almost crashed until International Rescue came to the rescue
    Don't laugh, the Americans and Russians seriously looked at this for bombers. Decades ago as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FeiO2S6juc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)