+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: passing the time

passing the time

how are yous spending your days with this dreadful coronary virus thing
    any of you at work . can only do what the government advises and keep indoors apart from dog walking and sorting t'garden out. dug a couple of old jigsaws out an all

Quote Originally Posted by Greavseywolf View Post
    how are yous spending your days with this dreadful coronary virus thing
    any of you at work . can only do what the government advises and keep indoors apart from dog walking and sorting t'garden out. dug a couple of old jigsaws out an all
    Start everyday with a walk up to "Brooklyn Bagel", get a coffee and a breakfast taco [scrambled Egg and Bacon, hot sauce] and sit outside for around an hour reading.

After that, similar to you mate, walking the dogs is a major part of the day. They finally closed the Dog Park and the soccer fields last week but fortunately there are too many access points on the big general use park for them to close so we go there. Besides there are 160 mile of bike/hike trails through the town so we aren't short of places to drag em!

Around 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day are taken with spending "personal time" with my mad Cockatoo, usually on the sofa while re watching the HBO "Rome" series. If he doesn't get his attention time he tends to get "noisy" to say the least!

Don't do yard work, a squad of Mexican's come every Saturday to cut the grass, blow everything down, trim anything that needs it, bag all the trash etc. A bloody good job they do as well. The only contribution I make is making up and hanging up the hanging baskets.

Work on my stamp collection about two hours a day. I buy old albums off the internet and then remove the stamps I am interested in, the old Soviet Union and Eastern Block counties amongst others, then I research them [date, issue name etc] and mount them in albums I have made myself from pages off the internet. The stamps that I don't want I assemble in stock books and resell them, it just covers my costs.

Am interested in Russian culture generally and spend about an hour a day learning the Alphabet and basic language structure.

Other than the above just do the general stuff around the house, plenty of reading, just try to keep out of the way of the "enemy". Although she still works, albeit reduced hours, thank god.

Spend time scouring the internet, soccer, railway, general 70s/80s culture sites etc.

And that's about it. Expecting a couple of stamp albums to be delivered today so I will be good there for a couple of months.

We are lucky here, in The Woodlands" area, the lockdown has been no where near as severe as it has been in the UK [also other parts of the US] and that "siege" mentality and all that goes with it generally does not exist. People are acting responsibly but that feeling of underlying panic isn't there.

I was amused reading about some where in the UK the dumb police were using Drones to harass people walking in the country side or on the moors some where. Oh dear, if they ever tried that in Texas I know what the outcome would be. The sound of rifle discharge would be deafening!

This is something that would really pi$$ me off if I still lived in the UK. How come the police can find all these resources to harass and confine regular citizens all of a sudden when in normal times the useless sods can't even get off their backsides to keep neighbor hoods safe, protect the local communities and attempt to solve crimes like regular burglaries etc.

Any way, I am sure I have ramble on too much.

Hope every one and their nearest and dearest are well and holding it all together. Good luck chaps!

Great post Woody. Thanks for your time.

Best wishes and keep safe!

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post
    .......Work on my stamp collection about two hours a day. I buy old albums off the internet and then remove the stamps I am interested in, the old Soviet Union and Eastern Block counties amongst others, then I research them [date, issue name etc] and mount them in albums I have made myself from pages off the internet. The stamps that I don't want I assemble in stock books and resell them, it just covers my costs......Good luck chaps!
    Ffs, life's too short fella. Get your 'wood' on and have a w@nk instead, no need to worry about the cost unless someone catches you on the vinegar stroke. Here to help. All of the very best mon' .

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Ffs, life's too short fella. Get your 'wood' on and have a w@nk instead, no need to worry about the cost unless someone catches you on the vinegar stroke. Here to help. All of the very best mon' .
    Not a bad suggestion mate, unfortunately due to a couple of medical issues the old "Bishop" has had his last "Bashing"!

And what do you mean, "here to help"?!

All the best mate and stay safe.

Re "I was amused reading about some where in the UK the dumb police were using Drones to harass people walking in the country side or on the moors some where. Oh dear, if they ever tried that in Texas I know what the outcome would be. The sound of rifle discharge would be deafening!"

Its interesting reading about the different viewpoints across the pond. I think there are a lot of people in the UK taking lockdown VERY seriously. I'm not usually one that has a great deal of sympathy for the police and I think that there have been occasions where some forces have taken a gestapo-like approach.

Looking across at your side I was amused both by the fact that the purchase of guns was deemed "an essential" and by the photos of people queuing round the block to buy guns. Whereas here we just queue to buy toilet paper!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfiebill View Post
    Re "I was amused reading about some where in the UK the dumb police were using Drones to harass people walking in the country side or on the moors some where. Oh dear, if they ever tried that in Texas I know what the outcome would be. The sound of rifle discharge would be deafening!"

Its interesting reading about the different viewpoints across the pond. I think there are a lot of people in the UK taking lockdown VERY seriously. I'm not usually one that has a great deal of sympathy for the police and I think that there have been occasions where some forces have taken a gestapo-like approach.

Looking across at your side I was amused both by the fact that the purchase of guns was deemed "an essential" and by the photos of people queuing round the block to buy guns. Whereas here we just queue to buy toilet paper!!
    Hey, I've seen some nasty injuries inflicted with toilet paper mate!

Joking apart, like most things this has been exaggerated. I think the population of The Woodlands is nearly 100,000 now and there isn't a
    "gun-shop" in town.

I certainly didn't go out and line up to buy one. I just took mine down, clean and oiled them and put them back.

Here's another way to pass the time, if you're really bored (IMO) .....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...-in-his-garden

watched more tv than usual. one film on BBC I player was about the Brian Wilson and the beach boys. growing up with music for me was all about hendrix , the who and the rolling stones , the harsher louder sounds ,if you like.
    Having watched the movie just realised what a musical genius Brian is. the harmonies and falsetto's from the likes of good vibrations
    and the absolute brilliance of how God only knows was arranged

40 years too late ,but deffo a big fan of their music

Quote Originally Posted by Greavseywolf View Post
    watched more tv than usual. one film on BBC I player was about the Brian Wilson and the beach boys. growing up with music for me was all about hendrix , the who and the rolling stones , the harsher louder sounds ,if you like.
    Having watched the movie just realised what a musical genius Brian is. the harmonies and falsetto's from the likes of good vibrations
    and the absolute brilliance of how God only knows was arranged

40 years too late ,but deffo a big fan of their music
    I guarantee whatever you are doing you will be having a better day than me. I have a colonoscopy in the morning so no food today, all I have to look forward to is a couple of doses of "gunk" later this afternoon and an evening/night of sat on the crapper watching myself disappear down the hole!

Still, worth it I guess. Had one about four years ago and all that had to do was cut out a piece of pre match pork pie left over from one of my last visits to the Mol.

Fingers crossed anyway.

Agree about the Beach boys, same as you, never too keen at the time but got to appreciate them later. I remember reading a really good book about them that described how devastated Brian Wilson was when he heard the Sgt Pepper Album just prior to the release of the Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" album. He thought they had produced the best album ever and felt crushed when he realized the Beatles had upstaged him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)